Do you consider this the best Tomb Raider game ever made?

#21SpaceCoyotePosted 6/23/2013 7:49:09 PM
SpaceCoyote posted...
For me:

1) Anniversary
2) Underworld (Lara's Shadow was fun enough for me to play through 10+x)
3) this one

4) Very honorable mention for TLR but holy crap that game was difficult

So I wanted to clarify this a bit. The combat system in the TR reboot is really good and I had a lot of fun with it. I'd say it's the best in any TR so far but I have to stop because of TRU: Lara's Shadow. So I'd say this:

Combat System:
1) TRU: Lara's Shadow
2) TR reboot
3) Anniversary

The TRU combat system was still fun without adding Lara's Shadow, but if you take that away I'd say TR reboot is better.

The reason I point this out is that Anniversary is still my favorite, graphics and all, because the game was weighted more towards exploring/puzzle solving. St. Francis Folly and several other levels were good examples. You have Lara's athletic ability and knowledge of ancient cultures to rely on. Cool stuff.
#22BayouJoePosted 6/24/2013 12:49:49 PM
I like it, it's a great game story and graphic wise but.........the tombs suck, there's nothing to them.
---
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
#23TitanicHornetPosted 6/28/2013 7:20:03 AM
Well I can say that I have never been a Tomb Raider fan. Hated the games growing up for whatever reason it was. I was skeptical about playing this, bought it cheap and had a ball playing it. Such a pretty game with solid mechanics. I can't really compare it to the other games but I was pleasantly surprised how good it was!
---
You dont win silver, you lose gold!
#24foodeater4Posted 6/28/2013 7:43:54 AM
I think TR1 my might be overall favorite and probably always will be. TR2, 3 were a bit of a letdown to me, especially 2 since there was a lot of manmade locations instead of tombs and such. Revelations was also amazing to me.

But this is a great game. The island is a fun place to explore, its nice and mysterious for your entire first playthrough. I cant wait to see if the next game takes place in more classic Tomb Raider style tombs for more of the game, that would be really cool.
#25crispyoPosted 6/29/2013 11:45:57 PM
I dont think they will ever top TR1 or TR2. Though it is hard to compare because it is so different. Its a great game in its own right, but as a tomb raider game it just isnt 'tomb raider' enough for me. The series was in need for a reboot though, so im not complaining.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3731-6211
#26killered3Posted 6/30/2013 3:51:09 AM
Reboot Tomb Raider 2 is probably gonna be even less like a TR but at least we get her dual pistols back so I'm happy. Hopefully Lara gets some lessons in acrobatics.
#27guinness4lifePosted 7/2/2013 7:36:25 AM
Yes. And I played the Original when it came out.

This game is amazing.
---
i5 3570|MSI Twin Frozr III 7950|24gb RAM|Intel 335 240 SSD|3TB SG Barracuda|Rosewill Capstone 750w|Cougar Challenger Case*Acer 1830T 11.6*8GB RAM*256 Ssung 840
#28guinness4lifePosted 7/2/2013 7:40:54 AM
crispyo posted...
I dont think they will ever top TR1 or TR2. Though it is hard to compare because it is so different. Its a great game in its own right, but as a tomb raider game it just isnt 'tomb raider' enough for me. The series was in need for a reboot though, so im not complaining.

LC in TR1 controlled like a tank. The first one was not the best in the franchise by a longshot, The controls of TR1, like most games of that ps1 era (pre-director's cut RE also comes to mind) were uniformly awful.

Soul Reaver or Medieval was probably the first 3d action/platform game that controlled decently on the ps1. Subsequent Tomb Raider games were better than TR1, even if at the time it was certainly novel and different.
---
i5 3570|MSI Twin Frozr III 7950|24gb RAM|Intel 335 240 SSD|3TB SG Barracuda|Rosewill Capstone 750w|Cougar Challenger Case*Acer 1830T 11.6*8GB RAM*256 Ssung 840
#29CaIiber345Posted 7/6/2013 7:37:56 PM
I really don't know.

I'm playing TR and its an awesome action game, with great graphics, good controls, varied environments, and yet still...

It doesn't feel like Tomb Raider for me. I went into an optional..."tomb", that involved jumping three times, setting something on fire, and opening a chest for a reward. I understand its a reboot and all. And again, it's a fun game. And no, i dont want to spend 20 hours traipsing through samey copypasta brown caves. But it just doesn't capture something about TR for me.
---
The Price is Right, Don Mattrick, and a nuclear submarine all walk into a bar...
#30SR71haloPosted 7/17/2013 11:25:24 PM
I've never owned a TR game before, but I have played demos. The first one was fun for its time but it aged poorly. The controls are pretty bad and the gameplay just seems dated. I also played Legends and Underworld, I believe, and I also found those boring. This series was in serious need of a reboot it seemed, and it looks as though it got the reboot it deserved. I actually love this game and am enjoying the hell out of it. Hope to see a sequel some day.
---
Scoreboard:
Xbox: 1, Playstation: 4