A Simple theory that makes this game MUCH better

#51Creeping_DarkPosted 8/10/2013 5:41:48 AM
Degalon posted...
Turducken posted...
Like trying to claim this is an actual tomb raider game.

That's...not a defense.

Yes it is. I will always refer to this as Tiffany Croft: Shipwreck Survivor.

There's just nothing even really resembling tomb raider, except that the random female lead is named Lara Croft. It doesn't look, feel, or play like a tomb raider. It's tomb raider in name only.

It's a reboot in the form of an origin story, so naturally much of what defined prior installments has been discarded. It doesn't look, feel, or play like Tomb Raider? Well, it's not really meant to. You're right that it's Tomb Raider in name only, that's essentially the entire reason reboots exist - to take an existing brand, or basic idea and wrap it around a new interpretation. It may not be the Lara Croft, but it's a Lara Croft - a new version that the developers have chosen to create. You're not meant to treat it as the same thing. You're trying to squeeze it into a place it doesn't fit - that's the real problem here.
---
"I'm no hero. Policemen, firemen, janitors...Those are the real heroes."
-- Sgt. Rex Power Colt, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
#52Degalon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2013 3:38:15 PM
Creeping_Dark posted...
Degalon posted...
Turducken posted...

That's...not a defense.

There's just nothing even really resembling tomb raider, except that the random female lead is named Lara Croft. It doesn't look, feel, or play like a tomb raider. It's tomb raider in name only.

It's a reboot in the form of an origin story, so naturally much of what defined prior installments has been discarded. It doesn't look, feel, or play like Tomb Raider? Well, it's not really meant to. You're right that it's Tomb Raider in name only, that's essentially the entire reason reboots exist - to take an existing brand, or basic idea and wrap it around a new interpretation. It may not be the Lara Croft, but it's a Lara Croft - a new version that the developers have chosen to create. You're not meant to treat it as the same thing. You're trying to squeeze it into a place it doesn't fit - that's the real problem here.

The problem with that approach is that when its so different from the previous, they might as well not call it tomb raider anymore. Like how the original version of re4 wound up so different they just called it devil may cry instead. They shoulda just called this game something different rather than tack on the tomb raider name for apparently no other reason than brand recognition.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards
#53No_one_specialPosted 8/10/2013 3:43:52 PM
Degalon posted...
Creeping_Dark posted...
Degalon posted...
Turducken posted...

That's...not a defense.

The problem with that approach is that when its so different from the previous, they might as well not call it tomb raider anymore. Like how the original version of re4 wound up so different they just called it devil may cry instead. They shoulda just called this game something different rather than tack on the tomb raider name for apparently no other reason than brand recognition.

I swear, some people...
---
http://tinyurl.com/d76kaod
http://i.imgur.com/qQLJe62.jpg
#54Creeping_DarkPosted 8/10/2013 5:15:31 PM
Degalon posted...
Creeping_Dark posted...
Degalon posted...
Turducken posted...

That's...not a defense.

That's business - sometimes decisions get made in service of potential profit rather than creative merit. I agree this could have been easily turned into a new IP, but what's done is done. This is the developer's new vision of Lara, essentially an alternate universe Tomb Raider. You're not meant to accept it wholly connected to past installments and you don't have to like or agree with it, but coming up with arbitrary explanations to justify it as part of the series is a little childish.
---
"I'm no hero. Policemen, firemen, janitors...Those are the real heroes."
-- Sgt. Rex Power Colt, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
#55Fastest_SpartanPosted 8/13/2013 11:21:43 PM
dave_is_slick posted...
Degalon posted...

Maybe that's because IT'S A F***ING REBOOT!

Have we fallen for some troll bait?

Just a Degalon topic.
---
If someone tries to touch you, DO A BARREL ROLL!!!