Holy **** does Lara take some abuse in this game.......

#11WayOfTheSwordPosted 8/9/2013 1:59:55 AM
***mild spoilers i guess***

My only real objections were to a couple of the death animations - the aforementioned spike/pipe through the head in the waterslide sequence comes to mind. Not because I have a problem with graphic violence, but it just didn't feel right for a TR game. I know this is supposed to be a "reboot" and everything, but subjecting Lara to that level of abuse just felt a little sadistic to me on the designers' part. I guess I just miss the old lighthearted Lara; at least it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

I never could play the online part of the game for more than 45 seconds without it freezing up on me - this game really had some serious technical problems. Oh well, it will be the only TR this generation for which I didn't get every achievement. >:(
---
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
#12Creeping_DarkPosted 8/9/2013 3:38:15 AM
WayOfTheSword posted...
***mild spoilers i guess***

My only real objections were to a couple of the death animations - the aforementioned spike/pipe through the head in the waterslide sequence comes to mind. Not because I have a problem with graphic violence, but it just didn't feel right for a TR game. I know this is supposed to be a "reboot" and everything, but subjecting Lara to that level of abuse just felt a little sadistic to me on the designers' part. I guess I just miss the old lighthearted Lara; at least it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

I never could play the online part of the game for more than 45 seconds without it freezing up on me - this game really had some serious technical problems. Oh well, it will be the only TR this generation for which I didn't get every achievement. >:(

Yeah, my problem with that kind of thing is that somehow any slip up on the player's part seems to end up with Lara getting killed in the most brutal manner imaginable. Like it's not enough for her to plow into a tree and fall to the ground with her bones broken, she has to be impaled by the most deviously placed and dangerously sharpened branch. In isolation each incident seems somewhat within reason - by Hollywood standards anyhow - but as a whole the amount of close calls, "convenient" shortcuts and the sheer ridiculousness of certain moments is just absurd. It's a bit of a shame, for how hard they worked to make the world and characters feel grounded, but they undo part of it for the sake of epic-action-boners.
---
"I'm no hero. Policemen, firemen, janitors...Those are the real heroes."
-- Sgt. Rex Power Colt, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
#13xninjagrrlPosted 8/13/2013 4:37:22 AM
This is probably one of the most misogynistic games i've ever played. Lara is constantly being beaten and imprisoned by hordes of creepy "hill people", as I call them. I can really see this game being triggering for some people. However, I take no issue with the violence aspect. I was bored to tears by the 50% mark. The story is not engaging and the game play gets old. Lara is also dumb and annoying and should not speak.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#14DahlVaughnniPosted 8/24/2013 5:40:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#15cardboardbox84Posted 8/26/2013 11:32:44 AM
I thought the first 2 or 3 hours were amazing. Really gritty, realistic and you really got the sense that she was struggling just to survive. I thought all of her reactions to getting hurt, picking herself up, killing the first guy, etc, were all really well done.

But by the 10th hour, all i could think was 2 things (minor spoilers below):

1) holy $%^& man, she's killed like 200 people at least at this point. She's essentially slaughtered a small village.

2) how are you still moving? after the parachute event, and then again with the helicopter...aren't you going to get infected wading through all that raw sewage/rivers of blood?

gritty realism sort of went out the window at that point.
#16RampagingwalrusPosted 9/23/2013 1:46:00 PM
She is definitely going to have a few (dozen) scars come the sequel (if there is one).
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.