After two Reboots and a remake do you still enjoy the originals?

#1STN79Posted 6/17/2012 9:02:57 PM
First we got Legend then Anniversary and now a full re-imagining.
Would you be able to go back and play the originals or should they be forgotten? I never actually played them but i'm considering it. Would they likely be too outdated to be any fun?
#2KneeSlappingtonPosted 6/17/2012 11:58:23 PM
Yep, still do. Particularly The Last Revelation because it has so many levels and so much variety.
---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#3parkourboybryanPosted 6/18/2012 6:47:44 AM
I do. TR II was the first game I ever played and for that reason it will always hold a special place in my heart.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2
#4runyonavePosted 6/18/2012 7:14:14 AM
KneeSlappington posted...
Yep, still do. Particularly The Last Revelation because it has so many levels and so much variety.

Never played the Last Revelation. How is it different from the other TR games?
---
My top games: God Hand, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden 3, DMC, Vanquish, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Red Seeds Profile, Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Space Channel 5 P2.
#5Shopaholic163Posted 6/18/2012 9:37:06 AM
I replay tomb raider 1-4 at least once every year.

Those level designs, omg are they perfect. :)
---
PSN:Lexy5763
#6parkourboybryanPosted 6/18/2012 12:20:11 PM
runyonave posted...

Added in a lot of new elements to the TR games (Swinging on vines, different types of ammo, being able to shimmy around corners.) Plus it was the only game that took place entirely in egypt.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2
#7KneeSlappingtonPosted 6/18/2012 12:53:21 PM

As far as gameplay mechanics go if you've ever played any of the first three games you know exactly what to expect. However, there are some gameplay upgrades. In addition to what's mentioned in the above post you can use a crowbar to pry open doors and pry certain puzzle items you may need. You can also equip two weapons (revolver and crossbow) with a lasersight to allow for manual first person shooting (which is of course occasionally used to solve puzzles.

It takes place entirely in Egypt, but there are so many levels within the game. It's probably the longest TR game ever made and easily has the most levels of any of them. There's so much to do throughout the game because there's great diversity in the levels you traverse. But a big negative is you now have the ability to go back and forth between specific levels in various parts of the game. This required in order to do certain tasks and get certain items that are needed in other levels. Basically, there's no way in hell anybody will ever beat this game without the help of a strategy guide because what you have to do in the levels is often unclear and many of the puzzles require different solutions, abilities, and ways of thinking that outside what you've seen in the previous three games. Those are the primary negatives of the game.

But if you can handle all that, it's a great experience and pushed Tomb Raider about as far as it could in the PSX era.

Chronicles is alright. It's basically a lite version of The Last Revelation. Same gameplay mechanics, but there are much less levels (more akin to the amount in the first three games) and puzzle solutions, for the most part, are more straight forward than in TLR. Which can be a negative or positive depending on what you like in TR. It's alright. Kind of nice to jump into Chronicles every so often since it doesn't take anywhere near as long to beat as TLR.
---
#8runyonavePosted 6/18/2012 1:37:09 PM(edited)
@parkourboybryan, KneeSlappington: Cool, thanks for the reply. I like the idea of backtracking to previous levels though. Going to pick this up.
---
My top games: God Hand, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden 3, DMC, Vanquish, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Red Seeds Profile, Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Space Channel 5 P2.
#9KneeSlappingtonPosted 6/18/2012 1:56:33 PM
The first four TR games (including The Last Revelation are all on PSN). TR1 is $9.99 (for some stupid reason) while the rest of them are $5.99.

Strangely Chronicles is up on PSN over in Europe but not over here in North America.
---
#10runyonavePosted 6/18/2012 3:33:02 PM
The first four TR games (including The Last Revelation are all on PSN). TR1 is $9.99 (for some stupid reason) while the rest of them are $5.99.

Strangely Chronicles is up on PSN over in Europe but not over here in North America.

Nice, I was going to get it from ebay. Probably get TR2 aswell, as I never played that either.
---