Difficulty? Aim Assist?

#1acanduciPosted 1/20/2013 3:20:32 PM
Anyone read anything about what the difficulty levels will be? Specifically, I'm really hoping for a casual setting with auto-aim. I love Tomb Raider, but I stink at shooters. I really hope this doesn't ruin it for me.
#2vivalatourPosted 1/21/2013 12:31:01 AM
when I watched the game play video , I got to believe the guy was using a lock to get a bead on his attended shot because he was really purty quick with his hits ? ..
to me it looks like you should keep your weapon out especially walking in dark caves !
#3acanduci(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 6:27:34 AM
LOL! Thanks, vivalatour. Yeah, I watched that hour-long IGN video showing the gameplay and you definitely need to be ready for anything jumping out at you. :-)

I just hope they thought to make the game accessible to us "less gifted" players. I really appreciate when game developers consider ALL types of players, and not just those who are experts in certain areas (such as shooters).

Bottom line, I'm a casual player who plays mostly for the story. I sure hope I can play this game.
#4ableriderPosted 1/21/2013 3:08:34 PM
l suck for shooters too l just cant aim properly but l there is no aim assist l should use your tip about having my weapon ready at every time :D
#5acanduci(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 4:10:12 PM
Well, it looks like I answered my own question. It also looks like I won't be buying/playing this game either. Crap! And I was SO looking forward to this.

Click the following link, and see the 11th bullet under "What We Know About The Game So Far":

http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/tomb9.html

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for watching YouTube videos!
#6ableriderPosted 1/21/2013 6:46:22 PM
acanduci posted...
Well, it looks like I answered my own question. It also looks like I won't be buying/playing this game either. Crap! And I was SO looking forward to this.

Click the following link, and see the 11th bullet under "What We Know About The Game So Far":

http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/tomb9.html

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for watching YouTube videos!

manual aiming is not going to stop me, you can always try to get better at games but if that is your decision l'm not going to try to stop you
#7drclaeysPosted 1/22/2013 11:37:43 AM
Friends,

I love you all, this is my kinda of thread.

I played mass effect 2 and mass effect 3. Yep, I suck at shooters, but on easy, i could win it.

I played Fallout 3 and NV, but with easy and VATS, I could win it.

Now IM playing Red Dead Redem. And I suck at shooters, but with Casual and Aim Assist, Yep, im getting through it.

If you watch the videos, things happen PRETTY fast. Those wolves and critters attack pretty fast, and you have to be quick with that bow and arrow. and reflexes.

We just have to wait and see. When it comes out. if it even has levels of difficulty, or how it works. With videos, you might be able to see if this game is for you.

Thank you for sharing. Good luck with your dead eye!!!
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#8acanduci(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 4:14:06 PM
drclaeys, you and I appear to have the same skill level when it comes to shooters! Let me give an example from my experience ...

Being a huge Tomb Raider fan, I remember reading on the older Tomb Raider boards people talking about this game called "Uncharted". Long story short, I bought a PS3 just so I could play it! However, I quickly realized that even though there was an EASY setting, there was no auto-aim, and in the end, i just couldn't play it (I just wasn't quick enough). Bummer!

Along comes Uncharted 2 in all it's glory. I decide to download the demo, and much to my pleasant surprise, in addition to an EASY setting, there was also a VERY EASY setting! Yes!!! Another long story short, I got that game and it is my favorite to date. I was hoping they would do the same with Tomb Raider, but not happening. Major bummer.

Anyhow, I HIGHLY recommend you play Uncharted 2 - you'll love it!
#9Dark SymphonyPosted 1/23/2013 10:34:04 AM
I don't want to be one of "those guys...." but, I mean, is there a point when maybe you will try to, you know, get better?

"Casual settings" often sort of ruin the effect in the sense that in some games you have to consciously not use your best options in order to win.

I wish we could just go back to the old difficulty level style of difficulty definition.
#10acanduci(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 4:59:19 PM
I totally understand what you're saying in your second sentence - it does allow someone to "get by" fairly easily without having to do what the developers intended.

But in response to your first sentence ... honestly, no, and I don't mean to sound like a jerk when I say that. I just like to casually play games like this and enjoy the story / experience, without wanting to throw my controller at the TV you know? I'm never really concerned with "upping my game", hence, I never play online.

As I mentioned before, Uncharted 2 is the best example of this for me. Playing on VERY EASY was more than enough challenge for me, and while I like collecting all of the relics and stuff, I'm not concerned with trophies. I guess that makes me a VERY CASUAL player, LOL!