Is the series definitely over? (no spoilers please)

#1lostkiwiPosted 3/20/2012 8:32:50 PM
I played ME1 & 2 on my PC, and made some careful choices regarding my characters, in particular ensuring the survival of several of my favourite characters.

If at all possible, I would prefer to play ME3 on my PS3. Yes, I know it is the inferior version, and I know that my save files will not copy over, but I just love playing wirelessly with out big screen and surround sound, as well as trophies, enough to make it my preferred version despite the shortcomings.

In the end I have really decided that it will come down to this decision:
- If it is definitely the end of the series (excluding DLC) then I'll just play it on the PC, and therefore keep my current characters.
- Otherwise if they have left it open for Mass Effect 4 then I will play on the PS3, and start a new 'template' as such in terms of save files with new decisions.

Many thanks all.
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#2Revolver_RavenPosted 3/20/2012 8:45:10 PM
Even if there is a ME4, I'm not sure that the saves will carry over. Bioware made it pretty clear as far as I can tell this was the end of Shepard's story. Anything's possible, but I don't think they'll create a new game (or trilogy) that carries over decisions from this trilogy.

If anything, my guess is new ME games will take place prior to the events of the "Shepard Trilogy" (Prothean or early Citadel Council era perhaps?) or take place far enough in the future that they can essentially ignore all of the decisions made by the player and simply lay down a default template of what happened (with regards to major events).

This of course would basically nullify the decisions of many gamers and make some people's decisions and efforts seem pointless, but now I'm just wandering off-topic...
#3lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 8:47:45 PM
Cool, thanks for the post.

I guess I'll pick this up on the PC then.
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#4Revolver_RavenPosted 3/20/2012 8:49:26 PM
Not a problem, yeah I think that would be your best bet. The only reason I'm playing this on PS3 is that's the system I have (and I could afford a 360 pretty easily, just can't really justify the purchase when I have more important things I need to save for) nor do I have a gaming-quality PC otherwise I'd have this series on PC myself (or 360).
#5climhazzard99Posted 3/20/2012 8:50:07 PM
Revolver Snake posted...
Even if there is a ME4, I'm not sure that the saves will carry over. Bioware made it pretty clear as far as I can tell this was the end of Shepard's story. Anything's possible, but I don't think they'll create a new game (or trilogy) that carries over decisions from this trilogy.

If anything, my guess is new ME games will take place prior to the events of the "Shepard Trilogy" (Prothean or early Citadel Council era perhaps?) or take place far enough in the future that they can essentially ignore all of the decisions made by the player and simply lay down a default template of what happened (with regards to major events).

This of course would basically nullify the decisions of many gamers and make some people's decisions and efforts seem pointless, but now I'm just wandering off-topic...

tbh, i can see it being carried over. some of our actions in this game can pave a different road for the ME universe.
---
PSN = Benyeh2000
skyo1234 "She personifies this board. A manly man impersonating a little girl. "
#6Revolver_RavenPosted 3/20/2012 8:56:47 PM
climhazzard99 posted...
tbh, i can see it being carried over. some of our actions in this game can pave a different road for the ME universe.

True enough, I did say that anything's possible but I still personally don't see it happening. That said, I haven't even beaten ME3 yet (the only reason I posted in here since it was marked as no spoilers please) so my opinion could definitely change once seeing this highly talked about ending (that I know nothing about lol I've kept away from major spoilers thankfully).

If it were done properly, it would be pretty interesting, but in all honesty after awhile it might get pretty cumbersome having to play through 3 or 4 games just to see how certain paths open up. Would it be fun? To me it certainly would be, but perhaps a compromise where a cleared save (that perhaps meets certain conditions) will let you decide how events unfolded so you don't necessarily need to play through every single game over and over.
#7BigDaddyBanePosted 3/20/2012 9:02:48 PM
I saw an interview (on Qore, I think) that said this was the end of Shepherd's story, but to keep your save because it wasn't the end of Mass Effect. The dev said your actions in this game would affect the next, just not as Shepherd. I haven't reached the end, so I don't know how to take that, in terms of Shepherd's survival. But, I guess it means those who survive in your save will return in the next game.
#8Revolver_RavenPosted 3/20/2012 9:06:06 PM
BigDaddyBane posted...
I saw an interview (on Qore, I think) that said this was the end of Shepherd's story, but to keep your save because it wasn't the end of Mass Effect. The dev said your actions in this game would affect the next, just not as Shepherd. I haven't reached the end, so I don't know how to take that, in terms of Shepherd's survival. But, I guess it means those who survive in your save will return in the next game.

Interesting, I didn't know about that. I knew that it was pretty much said it was the end of Shepard's story (but not necessarily the entire ME series). Considering the franchise is relatively popular (at least from my estimation) there's no way they would just throw it all away, but I'll definitely be holding onto any completed ME3 saves now knowing this info.
#9MMX377Posted 3/20/2012 9:09:57 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10climhazzard99Posted 3/20/2012 9:10:40 PM
BigDaddyBane posted...

if that is true then what i said might become a possibility :)
---
PSN = Benyeh2000
skyo1234 "She personifies this board. A manly man impersonating a little girl. "