Thoughts on Ending (Yes, another topic on the ending) (MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS)

#11DutchZombiePosted 4/17/2012 8:43:09 PM

Well, TC these are my thoughts of the ending posted from another topic. I'm not sure if anybody has ever tried looking at the ending this way since I never hear any mention of it. Just some food for thought,

I do like the idea of Shepard being indoctrinated in the end sequence, although I don't think it all takes place in his/her mind. I take the very obvious clues about indoctrination as the Reapers last ditch effort to control Shepard. Where I differ from IT is that all the events on the Citadel actually do take place but told from an unreliable perspective. The game is telling you something is wrong with the way Shepard perceives the world around him. So when Shepard did choose the destroy ending, he/she broke the indoctrination by physically killing the Reapers. The Reapers are dead, it wasn't a dream and Shepard survives. The ending did actually happen and Shepard did it because he had the will to see his mission through no matter what. To me, that's what Shepard has been all about for these three games. After that I really didn't care much what happened. Shepard had done the impossible and given the galaxy a chance to start over. His story was done. It wasn't perfect but it did resolve all the things I cared bout.

Within this context (yes it's my personal interpretation), control and synthesis are false endings that doom Shepard and the Galaxy. The choice is still yours as a player. It's fate vs. free will with life or death as a consequence. You have a minuscule chance of barely surviving against a nearly all powerful machine race if you choose wisely, which seems reasonable given the story.

#12DNewcasltePosted 4/17/2012 8:49:37 PM
No problem with the ending, opens up the mass effect universe for more games/story telling. There was closure for team members all game. They were ending the Shepard story arc, everyone else is still around, as far as we know (and who you let live). I don't understand how a game, from the first moments and everyone after, clearly says this will be an apocalyptic world changing ending full of loss, upsets people when it does just that. Watch Return of the Jedi for your all races holding hands and singing during fireworks after defeating the great evil ending, watch Animal House if you want the small humorous epilogue for every character ending, don't hate on how a story teller chose to end their own story.

They made it very clear that the universe, that everyone apparently loved so much until one cut-scene, was continuing, but they are resetting because you can only do so much with a game when you have had huge decisions made multiple games before. Your favorites all exist, but Shepard's arc is done, isn't that what most people wanted. Their personal fav characters making it in a new world, with their old status. They even had the toungue in cheek nod to why the main character was called Shepard. Only in video games, and only with message boards could such a ridiculous idea take hold. Do you demand an artist repaint because you disagreed with a color use, with a composer because you thought coda lacked a certain motif, or with a show because they killed off your personal fav character? Grow up and create your own story and you can end it however you want.
#13Seymour_NatusPosted 4/17/2012 9:33:20 PM

FOR SOLARGLOW:

I know that they needed Saren to open the relay through the citadel and it made sense in ME1, not so much for ME3 since we find out that there was already a reaper integrated (GHOST CHILD) into the citadel system.

#14Seymour_NatusPosted 4/17/2012 9:36:47 PM

FOR DNEWCASTLE:

I think most people have no issue with Shepard dying as it's something he'd do for the galaxy or humanity, what they complain about is not knowing what happens to the rest of your team (especially why the normandy was leaving) or the people you rallied to help you.

#15GoatJugSoupPosted 4/17/2012 11:55:38 PM
NHZ1337 posted...
i think you guys dont get something. Not ending wise.

The whole point to the reapers, makes sense. They reap and reknew our worlds. Threw Destruction, this is not a NEW thing. Anyone who grew up on comics or even see many super hero movies, know, there are always these crazy fools, that would rather destroy the world and RENEW it, threw some way of force and killing innocent people.

The reapers being what they are isn't something not to get, nor is it the problem with the ending. As I said before what is the problem is being shoe horned into three possible endings no matter what you did previously, also no real closure on anything else.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/goatjugsoup1278
Currently playing: Warriors Orochi 3 (while hoping the upcoming dlc fixes ME3s ending)
#16PARAMYTASPosted 4/18/2012 2:46:56 AM
"Every time I hear the Star Child's words of wisdom, the more I think that the indoctrination theory is too far out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a great theory, but the developers of the game seem to want us to hear the Star Child's words. The words have so much weight and time put into them that I can see this as the real ending."

The part where you stated the "developers". You meant Casey Hudson and the lead writer as they kicked the rest of the writing staff out the door when it came to the ending.
---
It's not the games fault you have the attention span of a squirrel.
#17DXLelouchPosted 4/18/2012 8:56:03 AM
his entire speech is contradicted by helping the quarians and Geth get along so what wisdom are you talking about? are you high?
#18DNewcasltePosted 4/18/2012 9:34:23 AM
Seymour -

I understand people like the rest of the cast, and my point is they leave it open for them all to return, and people act like they killed off everyone. Throughout the game, missions, conversations in ship, and especially the final convo you can have with each character, they bring a closure to their time with Shepard. I feel they made a deliberate choice to not have a mass effect 2 style final mission where you can start losing characters left and right, but instead end Shepards saga and let everyone else continue. The ending in essence shrinks the universe with large percentage of the population of multiple races, multiple homeworlds, and the mass relays destroyed. My guess is all these tentative alliances will become strained, and the familiar faces will either be leaders or prominent figures trying to maintain balance. Just my thought, but I feel they did plenty throughout the game for closure between Shepard and characters, and that they didn't get individual endings because their story isn't over.
#19Seymour_NatusPosted 4/18/2012 3:11:26 PM

FOR DNEWCASTLE:

In the case of Garrus and Tali they might not be able to return because they could have died in ME2 or ME3 (in Tali's case). Also, the Normandy landed on the same planet the stargazer is at in the end. We learn that they don't have space travel yet and that Shepard's story happened a long time ago, therefore all your crew except for Liara might be dead (since Asari can live over 1,000 years). Also, considering the Normandy was escaping from the Mass Relay blast are we to assume that the army you built was doing the same and if not did they alll perish (including Earth)?

#20solarglow(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2012 3:20:33 PM
DXLelouch posted...
his entire speech is contradicted by helping the quarians and Geth get along so what wisdom are you talking about? are you high?

This thread was pretty civil until your last sentence -.-. First, to answer your question, no I'm not. And I was just referring to the overall tone of his words during the end. It is what you perceive it as. I saw it as an attempt at wisdom although people will disagree. I appreciate the attempt, but I also disagreed like you.

You have to admit, he sold you that Synthesis ending pretty well though. It was something along the lines of "You already have synthetics. Could you imagine your life without
synthetics." That sounded pretty reasonable.

I didn't agree 100% with what he said, but I appreciated the attempt to enlighten.

PARAMYTAS posted...
"Every time I hear the Star Child's words of wisdom, the more I think that the indoctrination theory is too far out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a great theory, but the developers of the game seem to want us to hear the Star Child's words. The words have so much weight and time put into them that I can see this as the real ending."

The part where you stated the "developers". You meant Casey Hudson and the lead writer as they kicked the rest of the writing staff out the door when it came to the ending.

Is this true? I didn't know this. I thought the ending was a coordinated, united move by the company as a whole. I hope he knew better than to mess with a writer's groove, even with the lead writer.

This might explain why the middle has continuity for the most part.

Hopefully the closure dlc will give fans what they want. I thought it was pretty nice of Bioware to provide it. But I was a little skeptical when they said that they didn't know people would want it. I don't know if they were considering the amount of investment people have in these games.