Disc tray acting up!

#1Kkopp81Posted 11/8/2011 7:58:37 AM
Almost everytime I turn on my Xbox, the DVD drive attempts to read my disc then says open tray as if there is no game in the tray. I have to keep a game in the tray at all times because other wise the tray won't even open. It makes a weird sound as if it were opening and then closing but it doesn't actually do anything. I have to constantly eject and then close the disc tray anywhere from 3-10 times for the disc to read. If I don't have a disc in the tray I have to hit the eject button around 50 times rapidly for it to open. I've had this problem for 2-3 months now. Dead island and gears 3 wouldn't read the first time I tried to play them and they were right out of the case. I'm worried it's gonna affect me playing Skyrim. Does anyone have a solution? The tapping on the top doesn't work and the take the game out, close the tray then put the game back in, sometimes works but my tray won't open back up most of the time. I've yet to open the console and I still have a RROD warranty but this is not covered. Solutions please?
#2tullgeesePosted 11/8/2011 8:00:34 AM
this happened to me just keep a disc in the tray at all times and if it wont read a game pop in a dvd then try a game.

It used to happen to my 360 all the time but it hasnt done it in months.
#3hawkeye2188Posted 11/8/2011 8:00:35 AM
Go old school on it and blow into your disk tray make sure you dont spit at all. Maybe there are just some dust particles on the eye of your drive.
---
GT: hawkeye2188
#4Goregasm17Posted 11/8/2011 8:04:00 AM
Same thing happen to me awhile back with an old launch Xbox. I dealt with it though... Eventually (meaning a year or so later) it gave out and got the RROD. I feel you though man, I remember having to eject and close the tray OVER AND OVER, but it usually would read all my discs as a DVD until eventually after an eject and close it'd finally work... This was with everything and every time Id go to the dashboard to play a new game. Around the time it started to just not read discs and just say 'open tray' when a disc was in the tray, is around the time it screwed completely up
#5spartangoat1Posted 11/8/2011 8:10:50 AM
If your tray won't open when there's no disc inside, then hit eject and poke the tray right as it begins to eject, it should come right out. And as for the reading thing, mine does the same. It seems to work much better if I lightly grip the tray as it closes to make it go straight in and not bounce or rattle at all.
#6Fenix481Posted 11/8/2011 8:14:24 AM
happened to me too. But all you have to do is adjust your laser intensity screw. Tons of videos on YouTube to help.
#7Kkopp81(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 8:15:55 AM
I watched a video yesterday that showed ejecting the tray and to pull out the game and then slide the disc tray back in with some force quickly. This supposedly reshifted the laser. This worked at first but later yesterday it acted up again. I tried it 3 more times without any luck. I feel that somehow I'll overload the Xbox by hitting the eject button so much lol. So this problem gets to a point where it won't read at all?
#8Fenix481Posted 11/8/2011 8:18:14 AM
Kkopp81 posted...
I watched a video yesterday that showed ejecting the tray and to pull out the game and then slide the disc tray back in with some force quickly. This supposedly reshifted the laser. This worked at first but later yesterday it acted up again. I tried it 3 more times without any luck. I feel that somehow I'll overload the Xbox by hitting the eject button so much lol. So this problem gets to a point where it won't read at all?

Do not do that! It'll mess up your drive altogether
#9Kkopp81(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 8:26:19 AM
I dont plan on opening the Xbox unless it stops reading completely. Hopefully I didn't make it worse
#10InocentRoadkillPosted 11/8/2011 8:37:56 AM
Your laser is about to die.
Don't believe all these youtube videos saying stuff like slam it shut or whatever.

Here's how you fix it. I have done it once but eventually it will fully die and you will need a new laser.

http://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/how-to-tweak-the-dvd-drive-laser/downloads/XBOX_360_POT_CALIBRATION_V1.0_by_Moda.pdf
---
XBL GT: In0centR0adkill
0 = Zero