Urag book quest problem (Winterhold college)

#1romana86Posted 11/14/2011 3:46:46 PM

So the first book he asked me to find is The Legendary Scourge - thing is, I found this book ages ago! It's been in my inventory all that time, but the quest-log won't update. Also, when I select it from the quest log (how to activate a quest marker on your compass normally), nothing pops up!

Am I stuck forever for this now? Has anyone had a similar problem or found a work-around? It's super frustrating because 1) it's weighted. It's just a pound, but when I'm at near capacity and I find somehing I WANT that weighs a pound, it's a problem. 2) it's inventory menu clutter. I just want to get rid of it finally.

#2romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 3:49:58 PM

romana86 posted...

So the first book he asked me to find is The Legendary Scourge - thing is, I found this book ages ago! It's been in my inventory all that time, but the quest-log won't update. Also, when I select it from the quest log (how to activate a quest marker on your compass normally), nothing pops up!

Am I stuck forever for this now? Has anyone had a similar problem or found a work-around? It's super frustrating because 1) it's weighted. It's just a pound, but when I'm at near capacity and I find somehing I WANT that weighs a pound, it's a problem. 2) it's inventory menu clutter. I just want to get rid of it finally.

I also want to add I've tried going in and out of his room and the college and leaving the area entirely for several days and nothing works. Except I did finally get a quest marker to pop up and it seems to be leading me somewhere... I'm gonna check it out and see what happens.

#3romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 4:12:19 PM

romana86 posted...

Oh Jesus it IS broken. The quest marker led me to Talking Stone camp (giant camp) in south Hjallmarch. I came across in the first hour or two I was playing and took it from the giants' chest there. The quest marker keeps telling me the book is still in the chest, when it's really been in my inventory the whole freakin time. It won't mark as having been picked up at all, so this is a quest-line I can't continue - which especially sucks since it's the first quest in the quest-line.

So anyone who hasn't done this yet, don't pick up that stupid book until Urag tells you to :( Grrr I'm so unhappy. I mean, I know Oblivion had its glitches, but most of the ones I'm encountering in Skyrim are screwing up QUESTS. This is ridiculous. I love this game but if I encounter one more quest-breaking glitch, I'm selling it back.

#4Mr_PopelPosted 11/14/2011 4:27:11 PM
Did you try dropping the book and picking it back up, or putting it back into the giants chest and picking it back up from there?

... just an idea.
#5romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 8:39:42 PM

My_Popel posted...

Did you try dropping the book and picking it back up, or putting it back into the giants chest and picking it back up from there?

... just an idea.

Once a quest item is in your inventory it cannot be removed, period. So, no, I can't do either of those things. And even though I knew it wouldn't let me, I still tried because I'm that frustrated with this stupid glitch.

#6TheBeastWithinPosted 11/15/2011 9:06:39 AM
It's just some pointless "radiant" quest. There's no story involved, there's no anything. Just a series of fetch quests. Nothing lost, why bother caring?
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#7romana86(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 12:20:52 PM

TheBeastWithin posted...
It's just some pointless "radiant" quest. There's no story involved, there's no anything. Just a series of fetch quests. Nothing lost, why bother caring?
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!

Because it's in my inventory, it's weighted, and I can't do anything with it. What happens when I come across the other books for that quest unknowingly? It'll add up for stuff I can't get rid of.

Also, it's just the point of the thing, being unable to continue it. Even for a radiant quest. The only redeeming thing about it is that it's not a story quest (though I've had near-quest-breaking glitches with those too).