Hadvar, or Ralof? Who should i follow?

#1BleakwailPosted 11/15/2011 2:08:08 AM

*possible spoilers* Does it make a difference, later in the game if I choose one or the other, specifically? I would like to know if this choice affects anything at all, later on. Quests, gear, unique reward items, etc. Thanks.

that is, if anybody knows.

#2EbilWulfPosted 11/15/2011 2:11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure it barely affects things. You still end up on the same storyline after leavin Riverwood. It also gives you different things in Misc.: either Join Imperials or Join Stormcloaks. I think.
---
The dragons call me Dovakiin. The Nords call me 'danger-prone.'
They also call me a dirty thief.
#3Bleakwail(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 2:15:48 AM

I want to be completely sure before I choose. I am not planning on doing any quests, until more information hits the wiki/boards. I just plan to explore, and level. So I don't want this to end up being a repeat of Oblivion.

Where I gave the amulet of kings to Jauffre without knowing that I could never get the Emporer's robes and shoes after giving it to him. That was a huge early game/beginning game secret. I was 200 hours in, before I learned.

#4Bleakwail(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 2:24:25 AM

Bump.

#5UnGreatPosted 11/15/2011 2:28:46 AM
I went with the Stormcloaks for the simple reason the Imperials murdered that elf thief and were going to execute me for just being in the wrong place.
#6InxentasPosted 11/15/2011 2:34:39 AM
It just gives you one of both missions, and another excuse to visit the first town. The other one can simply be started by talking to people from either faction. I'm pretty sure it's just a way of introducing the civil war factions. Both doors into the keep lead to the same cell. You could see it as a way to obtain faction armour by joining the opposition. Those armours are far from unique though.
---
For future reference: landing in active vulcanoes tends to fry our sensors and melt our hull.
#7Overlord_MerilPosted 11/15/2011 2:36:45 AM
It doesn't really matter... Following the Stormcloak guy gets you out of the tutorial like 2 minutes faster. Following the Imperial soldier lets you grab three swords to start with and you can snatch some iron/steel ingots from his uncle the blacksmith for free and make some good starting armor. You have to steal them if you followed the Stormcloak... But you get a key to his sisters house, where her husband seems to get stuck sometimes. So selling lumber to him early on can be a pain...

Otherwise, just talk to people and you get the option to join either group, regardless of who you follow.
#8Bleakwail(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 2:37:07 AM

Thanks. I am just extremely nervous about any choices. Because there is very little information out.

#9OctansPosted 11/15/2011 2:37:30 AM
with Ralof you get better armor and 1-handed weapons (imperial armor, boots, bracers, swords)

with Hadvar you get MORE weapons (mainly 2-hand) and armor (mainly standard crap armor), but remember quantity does not mean quality.

with Hadvar you essentially get more money due to more things to sell, but you get the better equips with Ralof.

In the end it doesn't really matter because you will get better stuff anyways within the next 5 hours of playing.
---
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n69/paulfuss/SteamPunk.png
#10Bleakwail(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 3:00:18 AM

Right, but what about the lategame effects, such as quests/relationships, etc.? -