A Thieve's Guide - Best places to steal from

#1VeldesraPosted 11/22/2011 9:27:11 AM
I just want to get a topic together of what everyone thinks are the best places to steal from in the game. So far, I've been stealing from Whiterun, found some decent stuff in the stalls in the marketplace, and inside some of the stores. Any suggestions?
---
GT- Zagarrigo
SS FC - 5114 2260 4318
#2KudZuPosted 11/22/2011 9:29:02 AM
I suggest completing the quests to re-establish the guild in each city. When you do that, the guild leaves Shadowmarks on buildings to tell you where the loot is. If you don't know what Shadowmarks are, there is a book called Shadowmarks inside the Ragged Flagon on a table. Go read it, your life as a thief will get much better.

But Solitude is a great place, and so is Markarth. Markarth is probably the best overall.
#3WBH420Posted 11/22/2011 9:30:16 AM
Markarth for sho
---
If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him.
#4BtVSFanPosted 11/22/2011 9:31:24 AM
Potion stores.
---
Someone's carryin' a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is, die of old age before it finds you - Mal
http://i36.tinypic.com/23yqa.jpg
#5Baki187Posted 11/22/2011 9:31:26 AM
Pretty much any guild/faction area seems to have good loot, other than that most shops have a strong box somewhere and they keep 200-500 gold in those, also pickpocket perks for weapon and item taking will increase loot 2 fold.
#6KudZuPosted 11/22/2011 9:32:28 AM
Yeah, honestly pickpocketing is much better than stealing from buildings if you're looking to make money. But you have to perk it up for it to be really useful, unfortunately.
#7Veldesra(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2011 9:37:32 AM
I'll go hit up Markarth and Solitude next. I'm trying to save up money for a house, so unfortunately, I can't afford to train pickpocketing yet :( I'll get there soon though
---
GT- Zagarrigo
SS FC - 5114 2260 4318
#8pakathecatPosted 11/22/2011 9:39:12 AM
Good idea! I'm an incurable klepto in the game, and good thing this time around is that everything seems to get restocked, people will stubbornly refill display cases and all given enough time.

Anyways, generally upper class houses, shops, and keeps are my main targets. The palace in Windhelm is surprisingly Spartan, though one room (court mage's I guess) has tons of good stuff like expensive potions. Always look for a lockbox in stores. Jewelry and potions tend to have best weight to value ratio. Pickpocketing seems to be the best way to get good enchanted jewelry.

Oh yeah, the chests in the cistern area of the thieves guild, the locked ones in the battle practice area. The master one often has incredible loot, but they take awhile to reset.