Best place to sell gems/jewels?

#1kidwgmPosted 11/27/2011 9:15:26 PM
I have a ton of gems such as sapphires, amethyst and etc. Every vendor I have been to doesn't seem to buy them. So could someone tell me the best place to sell them? Thanks.
---
Player 1 - Press Start
#25squadPosted 11/27/2011 9:18:26 PM
The trader you get the golder claw for, has the most money!
#3grunjmufnPosted 11/27/2011 9:22:56 PM
I usually hang onto them and smith them into jewelry, then sell or enchant the result. All general goods vendors should buy them, like Belethor in Whiterun, and the ones in Riverwood and Markath.
#4ChickenChaserPosted 11/27/2011 9:23:43 PM
your BEST option - is to take speech perks up to the one that allows you to invest in shops.

There is a perk in there that will have every merchant in the game buy every type of item - thus allowing you to sell gems and potions and robes and such to everyone- including blacksmiths.

Plus - the invest in shops perk is great for 2 reasons -
1. if you invest 500 gold in any merchant, they will immediately and forever after have an additional 1000 available to use for purchasing your stuff ... meaning if a merchant has 750 gold, they will now have 1,750 gold.
2. But more importantly, the Riverwood Trader merchant in Riverwood, perhaps due to a glitch, will have 10,750 gold in his inventory if you invest 500 gold in his shop. He becomes the best trader in the game obviously.

With the perks for selling any item to any merchant, plus the invest perk - you can just take all your best, most expensive stuff to Riverwood and make a killing every time you finish up a dungeon.

The only drawback is the few perks you have invest in speech and the high speech skill you need to do it.

But - there's another glitch that will help - go to Riften, find the Black-Briar Meadery... the dude behind the counter has a (persuade) conversation option, which you can repeat endlessly to constantly level up your speech... it'll take you about 10-15 minutes or so to get 100 speech, which should also net you a few free levels to spend the requisite perks in speech to never have to worry about merchants again.
---
#5kidwgm(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2011 9:25:38 PM
grunjmufn posted...
I usually hang onto them and smith them into jewelry, then sell or enchant the result. All general goods vendors should buy them, like Belethor in Whiterun, and the ones in Riverwood and Markath.

Hmmm. So I would probably make more money smithing them to jewelry (and raising my smith level) than selling them out right?
---
Player 1 - Press Start
#6ChickenChaserPosted 11/27/2011 9:30:35 PM
Hmmm. So I would probably make more money smithing them to jewelry (and raising my smith level) than selling them out right?

For sure. A gold (jewel) necklace probably sells for two or three times what a gold ingot + the raw gemstone would... throw some cheap enchant on there and you're banking.
---
#7grunjmufnPosted 11/27/2011 9:32:51 PM
kidwgm posted...
grunjmufn posted...

I haven't actually run the numbers - but when I've glanced at the before and after, it seemed that way to me. I'm sure some pieces are more profitable than others. The increase to smithing is the bigger draw for me, since I only smith what I find as opposed to buying components.
#8kidwgm(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 7:05:56 AM
ChickenChaser posted...
your BEST option - is to take speech perks up to the one that allows you to invest in shops.

There is a perk in there that will have every merchant in the game buy every type of item - thus allowing you to sell gems and potions and robes and such to everyone- including blacksmiths.

Plus - the invest in shops perk is great for 2 reasons -
1. if you invest 500 gold in any merchant, they will immediately and forever after have an additional 1000 available to use for purchasing your stuff ... meaning if a merchant has 750 gold, they will now have 1,750 gold.
2. But more importantly, the Riverwood Trader merchant in Riverwood, perhaps due to a glitch, will have 10,750 gold in his inventory if you invest 500 gold in his shop. He becomes the best trader in the game obviously.

With the perks for selling any item to any merchant, plus the invest perk - you can just take all your best, most expensive stuff to Riverwood and make a killing every time you finish up a dungeon.

The only drawback is the few perks you have invest in speech and the high speech skill you need to do it.

But - there's another glitch that will help - go to Riften, find the Black-Briar Meadery... the dude behind the counter has a (persuade) conversation option, which you can repeat endlessly to constantly level up your speech... it'll take you about 10-15 minutes or so to get 100 speech, which should also net you a few free levels to spend the requisite perks in speech to never have to worry about merchants again.

Thanks for the tips. Going to check this out tonight after I get off work.
---
Player 1 - Press Start
#9jason9832Posted 11/28/2011 7:10:42 AM
Get the transmute mineral spell north of Whiterun so you can turn iron ore into silver and gold to make tings.