Illusionist + Dragons?

#1jtryan150Posted 12/8/2011 10:42:14 AM
Trying out a sneak illusion build that so many people seem to like, but I'm curious how you guys handle dragons. I am also using conjuration or atronachs and that sort of thing, but is waiting for your followers to hurry up and kill a dragon the main way that this type of build works? Or is there some high level spell that makes a dragon just lay there and let you stab it or something?

Just curious!
#2nhamilton310Posted 12/8/2011 10:59:36 AM
I plan on starting a guy like tihs so Ill throw a bump in.

If perked out, will Illusion spells work on a dragon? Dual Cast, etc. Can you calm him then beat him down?

I know Shield Bash works, so they arent immune to stuff.
---
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana
#3Nanaya27Posted 12/8/2011 11:05:55 AM
Archery for dragons. Frenzy/calm/backstab for everything else.

As for whether Illusion works on dragons.... I don't know. I feel stupid. Two of my four characters have 100 Illusion, and I've never tried it because i just kind of assumed it wouldn't work. I did try paralyze once and that was resisted, so I kind of just lumped all CC in a "doesn't work on dragons" category and proceeded to chain-stagger with impact. I'll have to try Illusion next dragon I see.
#4FloppyCannonPosted 12/8/2011 11:57:58 AM
you can boost your illusion affected level by drinking fortify illusion potion.

If you got good alchemy you can boost the effective illusion level to be around ~80.
#5HunterTorenPosted 12/8/2011 12:00:47 PM
I use the same build and have illusion maxed. As far as I have seen it doesn't work on dragons but you can go invisible and try to get sneak attacks or use atronachs and bound bow. Bound bow is decent enough.
#6Soldier_0_CrossPosted 12/8/2011 12:03:20 PM
Dont most assassins use dual one handed anyway? At least dual daggers? You could kill dragons with that.
---
Aww sweet, I can just warp zealots into my mineral line to defend against harass, I dont actually need to be good at this game. - ROOTDestiny
#7HunterTorenPosted 12/8/2011 12:07:31 PM
I usually have an illusion spell in the left hand and a dagger in the other. Never fight straight up all my attribute points are in magic. Most things would kill me in one or two hits but I never get hit....
#8Lord_DamiusPosted 12/8/2011 12:14:33 PM
Soldier_0_Cross posted...
Dont most assassins use dual one handed anyway? At least dual daggers? You could kill dragons with that.

I use Illusion in left hand, dagger in right, with a bow for longshots/distractions/dragons. I can understand why some assassins would choose to dual-wield (at least aesthetically), but I find the added versatility of the Illusion school to be more appealing than having more DPS in open combat; which is something I try to avoid.

@ TC. As others have already stated, bows/shouts are a safe and easy way to take out dragons when playing with this kind of build, regardless of whether you prefer illusion/1hand or dual-wield.
#9HorteyPosted 12/8/2011 12:17:01 PM

Personally my illusionist uses sneak, archery, illusion and conjuration.  When I encounter things I can't just kill with my spells and raise dead/astronachs then I conjur a bound bow and go to town.