Dragon last night didn't burn, didn't give a soul.

#1White_D3vi1Posted 12/16/2011 7:08:37 AM
My game has been RELATIVELY glitch free so far. And by relatively I mean my game hasn't been fully broken, only Bethesda broken. I can't buy Hjerim, can't go into Giermund's hall without the game completely spazzing out (no Gauldur's amulet for me), but now something has happened that is pissing me off.

I fought a dragon last night (well actually Shadowmere did most of the fighting while I threw spells at it for fun) and when it died by my hand, it did not burn and did not give me a dragon soul. Its dead body just flopped there. Weirdly I am level 81 and it was only a regular dragon (hence my playing with it).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a byproduct of the new patch(es)?
#2SuperAfroBoyPosted 12/16/2011 7:11:27 AM
I'm on 1.1 and had this happen to me once.
---
wat
#3sackdeezPosted 12/16/2011 7:14:43 AM
It happened to me once on 1.1 and once last night after downloading 1.3.
#4Xero_SeeDPosted 12/16/2011 7:14:45 AM
Here is what happened. This dragon wasn't a "random encounter" dragon. You've kileld it before. It was one of the dragons that rest near a word wall. You've killed it before and it respawned, and jsut happens to either be flying around too far away from the word wall, or you're very close to that particular word wall.

While you SHOULD get another soul, the game recognizes that you've already killed this particular dragon once.
---
Need voice to think in? How 'bout ZOIDBERG why not?
#5White_D3vi1(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2011 7:15:40 AM
Xero_SeeD posted...
Here is what happened. This dragon wasn't a "random encounter" dragon. You've kileld it before. It was one of the dragons that rest near a word wall. You've killed it before and it respawned, and jsut happens to either be flying around too far away from the word wall, or you're very close to that particular word wall.

While you SHOULD get another soul, the game recognizes that you've already killed this particular dragon once.

Thank you, that is what it is. I was in fact near a word wall.
#6TheSwedishChefPosted 12/16/2011 7:15:52 AM
I fought a dragon as part of a quest and it didn't give me a soul. Maybe that's supposed to be that way.
#7sackdeezPosted 12/16/2011 7:16:24 AM
The one one 1.3 was at a word wall. Good call
#8UnGreatPosted 12/16/2011 7:18:07 AM
I got this and as said it was near a word wall that weirdly gave me the word again with the music and dimmed light but no glowy rune.
#9Bulldawg8879Posted 12/16/2011 7:18:41 AM

This happend to me on 1.1 to.. Also the texture for the dragon was low res to so maybe if you see a low res dragon thats a sign that its a respawn?

#10SuperAfroBoyPosted 12/16/2011 7:23:22 AM
Xero_SeeD posted...

You sure about that? In my case I don't recall if I was near a word wall, but I did save just prior to engaging the dragon, but still while it was in sight. After I defeated him and didn't get a soul, I reloaded my previous save and killed him again, this time triggering the burning and getting his soul.
---
wat