Stop whining & moaning about Oblivion's leveling system

#11TopherPosted 12/12/2010 8:42:40 PM
i'd rather just have experience for killing stuff which levels you up, and then skills that level up as you use them.

You should think that through a bit more... I'd be a level one with max skills?!? or a level 20 with no skills whatsoever. I'm not saying the two couldn't mesh well but they probably won't. Anyway this is the way the ES series handles leveling, it's been that way for 20 years, it isn't going to change now.
---
Xbox Live GT: Topher2006
#12AlilatiasPosted 12/12/2010 8:42:46 PM
Having to use skills that you never intended to use in the first place for better results when leveling up is extremely poor design.

And this is coming from someone who efficient leveled three characters.
---
How about I just walk up to you, take your cereal, punch you in the face, and say "/breakfast"? Yeah, not very nice. -frk_of_hpttln
#13hippo_overlordPosted 12/12/2010 8:43:49 PM
Oblivion's leveling system was bad. I don't know why they don't just make it like Fallout: Las Vegas, but make it take longer to level.
#14TopherPosted 12/12/2010 8:45:45 PM
Having to use skills that you never intended to use in the first place for better results when leveling up is extremely poor design.

Any the only game in the series like that is Oblivion, it has nothing to do with the core system at all. People really need to understand that.
---
#15KC_HokiePosted 12/12/2010 8:47:45 PM
Skyrim will use a totally new leveling system. Closer to Fallout 3 though. Bethesda knows people weren't happy with Oblivion's leveling system and won't use it again.
#16AlilatiasPosted 12/12/2010 8:49:04 PM
Any the only game in the series like that is Oblivion, it has nothing to do with the core system at all. People really need to understand that.

Just because it was handled in generally the same way across all games thus far doesn't make it any better.
---
How about I just walk up to you, take your cereal, punch you in the face, and say "/breakfast"? Yeah, not very nice. -frk_of_hpttln
#17PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 12/12/2010 8:49:47 PM
TC stop whining and moaning about every one else whining and moaning, sheesh.

Besides, it's not like the leveling system DIDN'T suck and everyone is *****ing for absolutely no reason.

It sucked. People talk about it. Get over it.
#18TopherPosted 12/12/2010 8:51:05 PM
Just because it was handled in generally the same way across all games thus far doesn't make it any better.

Never said it did.
---
#19beth7000Posted 12/12/2010 9:22:11 PM
After playing both Morrowind and Oblivion, I can say that I liked Oblivion's system better. It's not like every NPC always leveled with you in Oblivion and it's not like there was no scaling in Morrowind. There was just less scaling in Morrowind. In Morrowind, I had barely gone through any factions and I had a very powerful character by level 10. After level 16 I was untouchable. Then, there were no new enemies to get better against. In Oblivion, I didn't have to worry about that until past level 30. So, basically, I'd like Skyrim to have a system closer to Oblivion, just not quite as much scaling.
#20TopherPosted 12/13/2010 12:20:16 AM
There needed to be more high-level creatures in Morrowind that's for sure but scaling is still not the answer. They just need to do better design work.
---