Stop whining & moaning about Oblivion's leveling system

#21JJH777Posted 12/13/2010 12:27:23 AM

After level 16 I was untouchable

I take it you never played through Bloodmoon or Tribunal. A level 16 wouldn't make it through those unless you abused certain spells/glitches.
---
My Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/JJH777
#22TopherPosted 12/13/2010 12:28:57 AM
^true, you really needed to be either a power-gamed 16 or at least a post level 20.
---
Xbox Live GT: Topher2006
#23CreightonWPosted 12/13/2010 12:35:16 AM
No, I won't stop whining. I know how to effectively level up in oblivion to get the 5x multipliers and such. The problem is the way the game levels with you, completely nullifying the need to level up at all. Seriously, I do just as much damage to a bandit with my rusty iron dagger at level 1 as I do with my daedric dagger I use at much higher levels. Why level up at all?
#24TopherPosted 12/13/2010 12:38:03 AM
Why play the game at all is what I went with.
---
#25Ki_cat_Posted 12/13/2010 12:41:30 AM
Let's look at Oblivion's leveling as a system instead of "good" or "bad". Did it work? Yes, for how it was built. The game seemed to be aimed at casual gamers more since it was a launch/start 360 game. I don't think the developers wanted to put out a RPG that made people think. They just wanted to throw players into a sandbox. When RPG vets play the game though, they begin tearing apart the game and looking at things deeper. "Oh, everything levels with you, what's the point of leveling up? :(" There's no goal for leveling really. The whole point of Oblivion was living in its' world.

As for my opinion, I hate the leveling very much. I have to look up online what skills to major in so I can be an efficient player. Some attributes were just downright terrible though but they wanted to give us variety.
---
People are afraid of what they don't understand.
#26TopherPosted 12/13/2010 12:44:09 AM
Let's look at Oblivion's leveling as a system instead of "good" or "bad". Did it work? Yes, for how it was built. The game seemed to be aimed at casual gamers more since it was a launch/start 360 game. I don't think the developers wanted to put out a RPG that made people think. They just wanted to throw players into a sandbox. When RPG vets play the game though, they begin tearing apart the game and looking at things deeper. "Oh, everything levels with you, what's the point of leveling up? :(" There's no goal for leveling really. The whole point of Oblivion was living in its' world.

As for my opinion, I hate the leveling very much. I have to look up online what skills to major in so I can be an efficient player. Some attributes were just downright terrible though but they wanted to give us variety.

Did it work? No it didn't. It wasn't even close to working. It got harder as you leveled unless you power-game, it wasn't good for casual gamers or anybody else. There is no other way to look at it besides bad, counter-intuitive and non-functional.
---
#27CreightonWPosted 12/13/2010 12:48:05 AM
So, I just want everyone to be honest. How many of you put your character in a perma-sneak condition and left while it leveled up? Or how many had to jump while traveling rather than walk? Who here has not aimlessly cast fireballs and health restoration to see their stats climb?! While not "game-ending broken", it is rather tiring to try and level up at all. What's funny is it's much more productive to sit in a room and cast invisibility over and over, rather than level up fighting off fiends.
#28U1gitaroomanPosted 12/13/2010 1:45:59 AM
Yeah. I'm a big fan of Morrowind and Oblivion. If they announce the exact same leveling system as those two, I'm not gonna boycott or anything but while levelling through practice (the Morr and Obl way) is fine the first two or so times, it becomes a HUUGE pain in the ass. I mean, From the 3rd or so playthough on, my beginning game was always "spam the persuade button and rotate the left analog stick to powerlevel speechcraft to 25" method. Then you can do the sneak-all-night-method for Sneak. And why is the best way to level practically any spell to make a 1sec spell or anything and spam it while running around?

Now, Its not like I have a great idea to replace it or anything, but a Fallout style EXP system would be acceptable. Or I dunno...make the basic skills that we all know and love levelled up Falloutstyle, but spells and other unique skills levelled through use? I think that is a nice balance. I.E. Higher level sword skill does more damage, but you have to use it more to unlock higher combos or power strikes?

Although something I want is to go back to the Morrowind design and have everything in once cell, except for interiors, that way we can use levitate spells and mark and recall, those kinda things.
---
Megaman Legends 3! The only way I could be more excited is if they announced a Gitaroo-man 2.
#29TopherPosted 12/13/2010 1:47:45 AM
They only took out mark and recall because the added fast travel.
---
#30OsrawoPosted 12/13/2010 1:54:05 AM
I swear I'm the only one that liked oblivion leveling system, it made sense that the more I do something the better I get at it, why should I be better at lock picking when I never picked a lock (even though lock picking a joke) or why should I be better with a bow an arrow when I spend my whole life swinging a sword around.
---
http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/Msrqh
http://www.speedtest.net/result/940640982.png