Morrowind and Oblivion (for players fond of both)

#1TheBroodsRaxonPosted 12/14/2010 12:56:24 PM
I enjoyed many aspects of Oblivion. It had better combat and was a much more lush atmosphere, and a very cool thing was to see the main city from almost anywhere on the map.

However, it seemed to lose some of that unique magic of the Elder Scrolls. Did anyone else feel this way? And if so, was it because Morrowind took place on a non-human homeland and offered more unique culture, or are the Imperials just sort of the vanilla flavor of the Elder Scrolls races? I guess I'm really wondering to myself if Skyrim will have that deep new culture feel from the Nords or if being in another human-esque homeland will deliver the same kind of expected human culture.

Oblivion certainly felt like a very well put together fantasy RPG, but I felt shorthanded when it came to capturing the very deep essence of the series, at least from Morrowind. Thoughts?

---
"We, Jaina, are the New Jedi Order... and this is OUR war." -Kyp Durron
#2someclown911Posted 12/14/2010 12:57:41 PM
Oblivion has a lot of things over Morrowind, and Morrowind has some things over Oblivion. Hopefully they combine all the pros in Skeerhem.
---
Calm like a bomb
#3TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2010 1:00:08 PM
Oh yeah I'm not disagreeing with you there. I was talking more from a setting standpoint. I felt like I should preempted and say something positive about Oblivion so I don't get labeled a troll.

---
#4TheFinalBossPosted 12/14/2010 1:01:39 PM
Skeerhem?

---
"This isn't over, We'll meet again!" -Every super villain or final boss.
#5zachbell47Posted 12/14/2010 1:02:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6someclown911Posted 12/14/2010 1:02:49 PM
Yeah, that's how a viking would pronounce "Skyrim". Since Nords are obviously based upon.. well, Nordic folk, you should say the title accordingly.
---
Calm like a bomb
#7someclown911Posted 12/14/2010 1:03:48 PM
Yeah, Oblivion was too easy, but Morrowind was too tedious. They need to find middle ground.
---
Calm like a bomb
#8DaCSSMastahPosted 12/14/2010 1:03:51 PM
What about for players of both... but for players fond of one?

---
You are now blinking manually.
"Video games are a good escape from reality, but you have to have a reality to escape from"
#9zachbell47Posted 12/14/2010 1:04:40 PM
One of the things I did not like in Oblivion was the fast travel. It just seemed to make the game go by so quick, where as in Morrowind you had to walk everywhere, except for the few boats and silt striders. One of the prominent things I remember from Morrowind was walking everywhere and seeing the things on the way. And I know you could do that in Oblivion, but really, who would not want to just fast travel to the next town or quest. Which is another point, Quest Markers. I liked how they did it in Morrowind, told you it was in this direction or this area, and let you explore. That was one of the cool things. Oblivion was just too...easy...in the way it told you exactly where most anything and everything was.

---
--- Sure its something that we learn early on in life, but tricking people into hurting themselves is always entertaining and fun.
#10TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2010 1:04:55 PM
Agreed. Maybe a Red Dead Redemption style? Highlight the general area on your map and have you explore within that?
---