So many people who were introduced to TES with Oblivion here...

#1TheYokoFactorPosted 12/19/2010 7:35:46 AM
At first, I was angry at Bethesda for trying to appeal to a bigger mass. Morrowind was very focused and didn't veer from Bethesda's past audiences and it did fine.

Then, when I got to this board, I realized it worked. Bethesda pulled in casuals, casuals who want guns in the game. These ignorant masses clamor over dozens of tiny little requests and wants that everyone else has already realized as impossible.
#2Sniping_TurtlePosted 12/19/2010 7:40:31 AM
To be honest, I only started with Morrowind for the xbox. Changed the way I saw RPGs forever (basically ruining any linear, story driven RPGs for me), AKA JRPGs.

So I'm not exactly the biggest TES fan, but I love their work and it definitely changed how I saw RPGs.

As for guns, I'm pretty sure a majority of them are trolls, while some just got the idea from Fable.
---
May God have mercy on your soul... - The Preacher
Because I sure as hell won't. - The Gunslinger
#3RevolverRezPosted 12/19/2010 7:49:30 AM
At first, I was angry at Bethesda for trying to appeal to a bigger mass. Morrowind was very focused and didn't veer from Bethesda's past audiences and it did fine.

Then, when I got to this board, I realized it worked. Bethesda pulled in casuals, casuals who want guns in the game. These ignorant masses clamor over dozens of tiny little requests and wants that everyone else has already realized as impossible.

As elitist as I feel for saying this: I agree with the TC. I severely doubt those who genuinely want firearms in started with Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind.

While its obvious Bethesda won't put guns in, I'm worried they'll dumb down the series even more, as is the style with most games these days. Oblivion already had a fraction of the content Morrowind had, and Morrowind lost several things from Daggerfall.
---
I saw what you did there...
#4pokemonmaster0Posted 12/19/2010 8:00:42 AM
Started with Morrowind, loved it (but at the time i was to young to be really good at it so I never completed it) spent tons of hours just mucking about with codes and mods, good times. Eventually tried beating the game fairly then my game broke and all my weapons broke in one hit and eventually my file vanished =|. I did complete cheated runs of the expansions, loved those. Oblivion I completed the 2 main stories with not to much trouble (fairly this time) gotta go back and beat morrowind someday when I get the chance.
Note I played pc version of both.
#5MGSFAN612Posted 12/19/2010 8:14:09 AM
Well I never heard of the series before then. I never saw it advertised and I only has the PS2 at the time so if it wasn't advertised on TV I never would have heard of it. I mean its not like I walk into shops and go what are some great non-popular/mainstream games(Morrowind) that are on a console I don't own.

As for the previous PC titles I have never been a big PC gamer partially because when I was a kid(till I was about 10-12) my dad only let me use the computer for schoolwork so I never built an interest in PC games and because I really feel uncomfortable using the keyboard and mouse as a controller for most games(I'm sure many PC gamers say the same thing about controllers)

---
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-Edmund Burke
PSN: MGSFAN612 MGO: Cobra316
#6kipohippo_21_Posted 12/19/2010 8:27:54 AM
I started with morrowind, id love to have guns or co-op. Not saying that its a must have. But id like to see it there.
#7RedFive3Posted 12/19/2010 8:35:26 AM
I heard about Morrowind from word of mouth and loved it the second i played it on the original Xbox. I do agree that Oblivion was dumbed down a little from Morrowind, but not a whole lot. I hope they don't dumb it down any further for Skyrim.

I do NOT want guns in my ES games.
---
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!
You spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
#8xX_J_Dog666_XxPosted 12/19/2010 8:45:13 AM
I started with Morrowind, and I must say, Bethesda made the right move opening the game up to a bigger audience. As much as I loved morrowind,with all its quirks, crazy attention to character and detail in the story, andmassive amount of cool stuff they had in that game... It was clunky, glitchy to the point of being broken, slow paced and sometimes boring and looked like a giant turd,

In Oblivion they made the gameplay smooth and a bit less frustrating, added voice acting (well, like 4 people), fixed a solid amount of glitches, and livened up the general experience. In what way is this bad? It's one thing to be elitist, and say that "oh well Morrowind / Arena / Daggerfall was like the greatest RPG of all time, and OMG WHY DID THEY CHANGE ANYTHING??!" But you're just making yourself look ignorant. If you were a game developer, would you release a game that might not appeal to a large enough audience to reel in the money you need to develop the next one, and keep your franchise going? No, you wouldn't.

I just pray to god there is no guns in ES5
#9Sniping_TurtlePosted 12/19/2010 8:57:22 AM
No, people didn't like Oblivion because it took things AWAY from Morrowind. Armour pieces, weapons, skills, spells/potions, ability to delete spells, leveled loot/enemies, replaced various forms of travel with fast travel, and over all felt like there was less content in Oblivion than Morrowind.

Granted Oblivion did some stuff good, like combat, voice acting was okay, graphics are always welcome to improvement, and umm... I'm sure there was other stuff.
---
May God have mercy on your soul... - The Preacher
Because I sure as hell won't. - The Gunslinger
#10bxphoenixPosted 12/19/2010 9:01:41 AM
Dog666 makes sense. It' s what i've been saying on other topics.

I started with Morrowind; not a very fun game unless you use soul trap glitch. Not being able to hit anything is frustrating beyond belief. And when you first start, all you can hit are scribs and rats. At level 4, you can hit cliff racers. The equipment you can buy is also horrible, and heavy, since you have like 150 capacity when you start. However, after soul trapping up some stats, i really enjoyed the game, glitches aside.

Oblivion was much more fun for me. I could hit stuff at level 1, even though i still had to work my way up there with leveling. The arena was cool and a good way to get used to the combat system, as well as level up some. The only problem, I'd say, is that they removed a lot of clothing and weapon options. I read that it was due to the space on disk, and that makes sense. If at all possible, I'd like for them to add more weapons, armor, and clothes. Also, to make characters a bit less hideous. Then, it'd be perfect.