I dream of an ES game where you can travel ALL of Tamriel

#21TCGJessePosted 12/30/2010 11:51:35 AM

Uh, you guys realize that Daggerfall has the largest game map of any game, hell even Just Cause 2's map was at least 6 times the size of oblivion, so saying it can't be done this generation is just diarrhea falling out of your mouth.

You're ****ing one to talk about diarrhea falling out of their mouth.

You realize Daggerfall is over 10 years old, has absolutely terrible graphics, and that 99% of the ENTIRE game is procedurally/randomly generated? And sure Just Cause was 6 times as big, but a good chunk of it is like, absolutely nothing. Its boring and repititve. Look at how many interior dungeons and forts and stuff Elder Scrolls games have.

Woof, you sound mad bro. Care to go to Starbucks with me an get a cup of coffee?
---
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. -Kierkegaard
#22WheezinEdPosted 12/30/2010 12:00:03 PM

Ahem

Fuel is an open world racing game set in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by extreme weather fueled by global warming, with players experiencing varying weather effects such as occasional tornadoes and sandstorms, as well as an accelerated day-night cycle.[4] The world of the game is over 5,560 square miles (14,400 kmē) in size, which is roughly the size of the U.S. state of Connecticut, and completely free to roam. In the free roaming mode, the game features the ability to drive anywhere in the game world without incurring loading times, however crashing a vehicle - or invoking the reset function to return to the road - does invoke a loading screen.

I'm pretty sure that 5,560 sqaure miles is bigger than Daggerfall and Tamriel.

According to this it's not...

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697303/elder-scrolls-ii-daggerfalls-map-is-massive----hows-it-compare-to-oblivion.html

Says its 62 square miles.

That should say 62 thousand square miles.
---
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6348/problemjc.jpg
#23CharocksPosted 12/30/2010 12:29:52 PM
It could be done. People have made mods for: Skryim, Morrowind, and Elsweyr for the PC version of Oblivion. The rest of the provinces could also be done using the CS. To put it on a console would be difficult unless you do something similar to Forza 3 where you download the other disc onto your hard drive and use disc one to play the game.
#24DigitalIncisionPosted 12/30/2010 1:02:25 PM
It can be done, the task at hand is vastly overrated in difficulty. People don't understand that building the world and making it unique is second in difficulty in comparison to filling said world with enough content to make it feel living and breathing.
---
Digi
I've spent my whole life researching multiples of zero and it has amounted to nothing.
#25TaegrePosted 12/30/2010 4:59:39 PM

If Bethesda plans on taking a break from the Elder Scrolls series in the near future (as Todd Howard keeps saying they want to), then I think they should try a pretty crazy yet awesome experiment. Design the landscape pf Tamriel, in its entirety, with major landmarks and gameplay rules laid out, but don't create any characters, quests or stories. Instead, release that build to the Elder Scroll's massive and borderline obsessive modding community. You would have gamers from all over the world creating cities, weaving stories and connecting them into one massive growing fantasy landscape. Sure it would be unplayable to the common user at first, but after about a year you'd have enough content to spend the kind of time you did on Oblivion. After five years you'd be journeying across all the provinces on some epic quest. Give it a decade and Tamriel will be completely alive with work put in by indie designers from across the globe.

#26G_N_R_1985Posted 12/30/2010 8:01:45 PM
Probably should have read the first post...
---
GT - S4RK
#27land_of_tearsPosted 1/2/2011 4:10:41 PM

andyt876 posted...
Technically, no. Daggerfall is about twice the size of the UK, but it's filled with a whole lot of nothing and randomly generated flat land.

According to this it's not...

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697303/elder-scrolls-ii-daggerfalls-map-is-massive----hows-it-compare-to-oblivion.html

Says its 62 square miles.

---
"So y'all need to hide ya kids, hide ya wife and hide ya husband cuz dey rapin errbody out here" Antoine Dodson

Thats wrong, they meant 62,000 square miles, google it and find out, its all generated using algorithms so most of it is exactly the same

#28TheTitan99Posted 1/2/2011 4:20:59 PM
maybe in the year 2030 that will happen
---
Only a complete moron would have a signature...wait a minute.