Could you go back to reading text over voice acting?

#1rep_HCPosted 1/7/2011 1:11:41 PM
I see alot of discussion on how many people overall enjoyed Morrowind over Oblivion for many reasons, but alot because of the many more factions and quests there were in Morrowind.

Fropm my understanding, the voice acting takes up a huge percentage of the dissc space on the game disc, which means a good portion of the work building the game, and resources, goes to this aspect.

Well, Morrowind had very few NPC's that actually spoke, wwhich I believe allowed them to offer so much content, whether anyone felt it was good or bad.

In order for Skyrim to have as much content, I would willing to sacrifice the voice acting to do so, I just don't know if I'm alone in this. Would you be willing to go back, or at least somewhat, where there is a reduction of voice acting, where they use text instead?
---
I'm in trouble -- please recommend this message!
#2planetpluto2Posted 1/7/2011 1:16:57 PM
In a heartbeat. I am one of the few who does not like long cut scenes and long audio conversations in games. I prefer text that I can scan/speed read.

And if that made it so there were more factions to join/anger, then freaking awesome!
#3chaosinwritingPosted 1/7/2011 1:17:55 PM
I turn off the voice volume and turn on all subtitles when my girlfriend is around. Even compared to Morrowind, Oblivion does dialogue in a much cleaner fashion. I believe that reading dialogue has great educational benefits, but I think that voice acting is superior for immersive gameplay.

---
"There will be mods [for] Bethesda's vanilla game. All I know is, eventually, I'll be slaughtering the children one way or another." - Linkzoid
#4AkaimizuPosted 1/7/2011 1:18:40 PM
It would be neat, but I think it wont wash. What people wanted in Morrowind (but were given the excuse for disk space issues) was what they got in Oblivion. Now that they let the cat out of the bag, it'll be tough to put that one back in.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#5ronnetPosted 1/7/2011 1:20:56 PM

'' Fropm my understanding, the voice acting takes up a huge percentage of the dissc space on the game disc, which means a good portion of the work building the game, and resources, goes to this aspect.''

That is a rediculous conclusion. Resources yes but not time spend building the game. It costs a lot of money to hire a studio and the voice talent to record all the dialogue. But meanwhile the work on other aspects of the game can continue. If anything voice dialogue means that you cant elaborate as you could if everything was text based. So conversations are trimmed down meaning less time has to be spend on the writting.

It does take in a huge part of the discspace though, I remember hearing the figures from Oblivion one day and they were shocking. But since then they've greatly improved the data compression on DVDs. But even if it takes in elss space I dont think it will icnrease the game's content. There is just so much you can make (and polish) in the available time.

I think that is the greatest issue. Not dialogue and disc space. Games have become too complex in terms of gameplay and graphics. It all has to tie in more neatly then before, and therefore it takes more time to create and polish the content. If they were to stick with Oblivion's engine and graphics and then spend 4 years working on it then this could be The Elder Scroll games with the most guilds in it, most quests, most eleborate plot, etc.

#6StnkyWizleTeetsPosted 1/7/2011 1:23:47 PM
Yes, yes I could.
---
GT: StnkyWizleTeets
#7duffmukchawPosted 1/7/2011 1:25:56 PM

I always play with subtitles on because my girlfriend is usually sitting beside me watching shows or movies on the laptop and therefore I need to keep my volume so low that I don't really hear much of conversations in the game anyways, so yes I would go back to text without a problem.

#8rep_HC(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2011 1:41:26 PM
"That is a rediculous conclusion. Resources yes but not time spend building the game. "

If it's text, it pops up on the screen, if it's spoken, they need to program the NPC talking, so yes, it is also work. By your own admission, so much of the disc space is the voice acting, and ever word needs to be programmed to come from a character, so no, it's not a rediculous conclusion. There are so many ways to could brought your point to the table, without the insult.
---
I'm in trouble -- please recommend this message!
#9WariokasPosted 1/7/2011 1:45:34 PM

I couldn't. I would always feel like something is missing.