An idea that might be fun for spell creating.

#1SwoopdawhoopPosted 1/14/2011 6:05:43 AM

So as we all know, in Oblivion, you could create spells that were god damn badass. But since they were so badass, you would never get to use them(either because of skill req, or magika cost).

So here is something fun I think they could implement. If you create a spell that is way to powerful for you character to use, you can still use it. But here is the catch, whenever you cast it, there are some bad things that happen. For example, create a spell that demands 100 destruction skill but you only have 75, chances are it will blow up in your face and damage you. But why stop at the boring stop? Create a spell that demands 100 mysticism(not sure if that's the right skill, it's been a while since I played oblivion) that charms someone, chances are it's gonna enrage them instead. Want to be invisible? To bad f*cker you're not good enough for that, instead all your enemies go invisible.

I think some system like this would add 2 things to the game. First, from a gameplay point of view, you can make a grosly overpowered spell but it still has drawbacks since it can majorly mess you up. Second, from a role-playing point of view, think of it as a novice mage trying some stuff that's way beyond his level and it majorly messes him up.

So guys, thoughts, idea, comments, insults on my idea?

#2GrandmastaGPosted 1/14/2011 6:08:00 AM
I like it for the lulz.

---
I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter, so don't get any ideas.
#3niioPosted 1/14/2011 6:42:44 AM
So if I create a spell, that demands a 100 skill level from every school of magic, and I try to cast it at lvl 5, would the universe implode?
---
Real Life has bad lag. It took Jesus 3 whole days to respawn. If that's not terrible lag I don't know what is.
#4Swoopdawhoop(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2011 6:48:48 AM

niio posted...
So if I create a spell, that demands a 100 skill level from every school of magic, and I try to cast it at lvl 5, would the universe implode?
---
Real Life has bad lag. It took Jesus 3 whole days to respawn. If that's not terrible lag I don't know what is.

Maybe.

Or you might just die.

Or you might spawn a million mudcrabs.

Or you might open an oblivion gate.

Or you might go back to level 1.

Or you might just destroy the city you are in, being forever branded as a dangerous criminal in other cities.

Or you might just be lucky enough to cast that spell and destroy/enhance whatever you pointed it at.

Or you might just spawn an adoring fan through some weird space time vortex that says "You're not the arena grand champion, I am out of here".

The possibilities are limitless really.

#5QuikSilver989Posted 1/14/2011 10:54:35 AM
I'm reminded of the falling mage from Morrowind lol
---
whats an std is that like steroids - number
#6megaddtdPosted 1/14/2011 11:02:07 AM
Couldn't you do that in Oblivion by adding negative affects to lower the skill and magika cost?
#7ZarnonElchrisPosted 1/14/2011 11:05:17 AM
"Couldn't you do that in Oblivion by adding negative affects to lower the skill and magika cost? "

No. Some of the spells unique to the Spell Tomes DLC did that. But adding negative effects to your custom spells increased the magicka cost like any other effect.