When was the last time you played Morrowind?

#1sfakisPosted 1/15/2011 4:11:40 AM
I see all these people complaining about how simple Oblivion was and how much it changed. I agree that Morrowind blows Oblivion out of the water, but the reasons people are giving are ludicrous. The people complaining about fast travel and the compass are what gets me. When was the last time you played Morrowind? Cause i just did a run through.

I admit the compass in Oblivion makes it too easy, but Morrowind just is a pain in the ass. "Go east till you find Cave A." You know how many hours I spent wandering in circles just trying to find where I was suppose to go. I wish they'd do something like MMOs now. They'd give you the general area, but not the exact location. This way you still have to look around, but at least you know you are in the right area.

The fast travel, oh my god. Yes, Morrowind had the Stilt Rider, Boats, and the Mage Guild, but even then they were only in major locations. Most of the quests are in areas that you must walk 10min just to get to. That's not even counting the 10min walk from where you are at to get to the closest Stilt Rider. The damn tribes quests killed me. They were located in the middle of nowhere, and weren't close to any transportation system. Then they'd ahve you run erronds across the map in areas that were also not anywhere near a transportation system. I think Fallout 3 perfected the fast travel system. Oblivion made it too simple since you already had all the key areas discovered. Places that were convientently located enough that you could literally fast travel to any of the major cities and just walk for 2min to get to where you needed to go. At least Fallout made you discover every area before you could fast travel to it.

My point is, when was the last time you actually played Morrowind? Cause Morrowind was more of a pain in the ass than I last remembered.
---
http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/5510/thmontypython.gif
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4877/pix578803492.jpg
#2count_doomPosted 1/15/2011 5:05:59 AM
I think it's more a case of two "extremes" ,like you said in Morrowind even with the available fast travel options it could be frustrating and I definitely agree with the crappy directions, I remember searching for hours trying to find a cave only to learn the entrance was at the bottom of a cliff not in plain sight AT ALL and the directions in my journal only mentioned " go south from this random place that in itself isn't easy to spot" or something like that.

But in Oblivion they removed all those options rather then refine/improve on them and that's what bothers me, not the current fast travel option we have. Games like this NEED fast travel, I just wish they'd improve on the systems they had in place rather then scrap em altogether.
Same goes for the compass, they went to far with it, an example I've used previously is when Jauffre tells you to go find Baurus in the Imperial city after you made it to cloud ruler temple, in Morrowind that would've most likely ment a long hike back, then a few hellish hours trying to decipher the vague at best directions as to where Baurus' location is. In Oblivion its as simple as porting to the right district and following the glowing arrow >_>.
#3FastEddie2121Posted 1/15/2011 5:28:55 AM
I just started to play it again and am actually enjoying it a lot more than I did Oblivion. With the Boots of Blinding speed, mark, recall, and the intervention spells, the travel no longer becomes a chore once you get familiar with the various fast travel spots. The 24 (??) hour levitation blessing is also handy. Starting a new character with out the fast boots was painfully slow, even being a Bosner with the "steed" perk. The MW wiki page is helpful, especially when you get crappy-fail directions from quest givers. I used to despise traveling in MW causing me to quit the game countless times until I finally figured it out. I'm glad I kept at it and it does get better.
#4LyricaliasPosted 1/15/2011 7:38:21 AM
I last played Morrowind last night.

Still not a "pain" to play, in any sense.

---
Every note and every word, I'm listening!
But to this place where destiny is made, why have you come unprepared?
#5kevindrosario6Posted 1/15/2011 7:46:23 AM

The people complaining about fast travel and the compass are what gets me.

This. If they bother you so much then don't use them. If anything. complain about the lack of silt striders and teleporters. Not the inclusion of fast travel.
---
A new study shows that by 2025, American children will be too obese to ride hover boards.
#6LyricaliasPosted 1/15/2011 7:49:50 AM
You can't just "not use" fast travel and the compass.

NPCs don't give you proper directions for quests. They tell you a name and expect you to follow the magic compass all the way there.

As for fast travel, the fact that you can open your menu and click to instantly appear to any place you've been underhands traveling normally. You'd feel like an idiot trying to do it as it's pointless.

They're both completely legit complaints.

---
#7kevindrosario6Posted 1/15/2011 7:54:06 AM

NPCs don't give you proper directions for quests.

^Implying they do in Morrowind.

As for fast travel, the fact that you can open your menu and click to instantly appear to any place you've been underhands traveling normally. You'd feel like an idiot trying to do it as it's pointless.

If you feel like you're not getting immersed into the game because you're teleporting everywhere rather than traveling, then don't use it. It's very simple. If you feel like an idiot for not teleporting, then teleport. You can't choose to do one over the other and then complain about how it sucks and ruined the game.
---
A new study shows that by 2025, American children will be too obese to ride hover boards.
#8Oscar396Posted 1/15/2011 7:55:20 AM
I can understand the compass complaint but the fast travel complaint is dumb. YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. Its your own fault if you end up using it because its such a great feature.
#9ObolusPosted 1/15/2011 7:56:22 AM
Correct. Fast Travel is fine. But ES4 has no other options. It got boring.

Go to Anvil from Bruma and talk to that guy.

That guy says, "Oh it's you. Here, take this back to that other guy."

Go to Bruma from Anvil and give that item to the first guy.

"Thanks." Quest over.

That's why FT was so easy, you had to use it for sanity's sake. Every quest in ES4 was either, "go talk to this guy" or, "go clean out this generic dungeon where you will not find anything awesome because it's all your own level."

ES3 > ES4

/rant
#10LyricaliasPosted 1/15/2011 7:56:57 AM
I never complained about fast travel myself. I was just pointing out that having such a cheep option so readily available (the game lets you teleport to every city right when you leave the sewers!) makes you feel stupid for ignoring it, especially since exploring in Oblivion is a complete joke due to leveled loot and generic/lack of locations.

In Morrowind, NPCs did give appropriate directions. Save once or twice, they were always accurate and specific enough. I never had any trouble finding something in Morrowind, and anyone who did likely wasn't paying attention.

---