About the conversation system....

#1N7SpectrePosted 1/30/2011 11:24:42 PM
Bethesda already revealed that there'll no longer be that awkward (imo) face close-up effect or time freeze whenever you enter dialogue with NPC's.

I'm curious how this could work though, since there could be a ton of things that might mess it up. What if either one of the people in the conversation gets attacked (or if you could freely move around, what if the npc does something as gravely stupid as walking into a trap or off a cliff)?

I'm sure the devs could create a system that would work well, but hopefully they could show us some actual gameplay soon :D
---
"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is MORE COWBELL!!!"
#2Erroneous_SnakePosted 1/30/2011 11:28:21 PM
what if the npc does something as gravely stupid as walking into a trap or off a cliff)

Why would you be talking to a NPC on a cliff's edge ?
---
This message has been brought to you from my Droid X!
#3Oni_TatsujinPosted 1/30/2011 11:31:12 PM
Well, that's the thing. Of course the NPC would stop talking if combat is initiated, or a trap is triggered. It's realistic. I'm sure Bethesda won't make it so quest NPCs are in constant danger. Most will be in towns or encampments in the wilderness, safe from harm. Maybe one or two in dungeons, needing help. Even then, there's plenty of time to talk to them after you take care of the monsters.

In Oblivion, you couldn't talk to NPCs while they were in combat, either, so it's not a big problem.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Terrafuror <--- My Youtube Channel
The Universe has a great sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
#4TheeKingOsirisPosted 1/30/2011 11:31:48 PM
Thats why you gotta save. A lot.

But hopefully they won't be that dumb. But hell people do it all the time in real life unfortunately.
---
"Kill yourself, save the world."
#5MorbidFaithlessPosted 1/30/2011 11:35:02 PM
This is something I've been really wondering about. It seems like it would be hard to implement. Is there any game that has done this? You can choose dialogue options and the game DOESN'T freeze?
---
http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1497506/bunnies-o.gif
#6GrandmastaGPosted 1/30/2011 11:40:26 PM
This is something I've been really wondering about. It seems like it would be hard to implement. Is there any game that has done this You can choose dialogue options and the game DOESN'T freeze?

KOTOR? There's still people walking around and whatnot in the back. I'm almost positive there's other games that do this though.

Also pretty much any MMORPG, but those don't count >_>.
---
I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter, so don't get any ideas.
#7MorbidFaithlessPosted 1/30/2011 11:42:39 PM

KOTOR? There's still people walking around and whatnot in the back. I'm almost positive there's other games that do this though.

That really doesn't count since the you, or the person you're talking to, aren't moving when engaged in conversation. I really think they're doing something pretty revolutionary :O
---
http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1497506/bunnies-o.gif
#8agentspoonPosted 1/31/2011 4:54:12 AM
Assassins Creed 1 allowed you to walk around while conversing.

As does Two Worlds 2
---
Who Claps At That Point During The Intro To Friends? Number Of People Who Do - 12
www.evoxmediastudios.co.uk Still looking for Flashers
#9Beatperson14Posted 1/31/2011 5:52:51 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10JeremyspokeinPosted 1/31/2011 6:24:46 AM
I liked the time freeze that happened when you went into conversation with NPCs

it meant that i could jump over armond cristophe's head and then start a conversation with him while i was directly above him.

I also liked that the day time wouldn't keep going because one in depth conversation with a character would take about half a day then.