Ability to build your own house?

#1quadrupleswordPosted 3/4/2011 10:04:50 PM
Since woodcutting, mining, and smithing are in the game, I thought it would be pretty cool to be able to construct your own house. There would still be houses to buy in each major city, but if you wanted to save yourself some money, you could gather up the necessary materials and build one yourself. You'd still have to buy furniture from a store (unless you could also make that yourself), but instead of the furniture automatically appearing in your house, you could choose where to put it and what kind of design you want.

Maybe I'm getting Minecraft fever, but this is just an idea I thought of since they are implementing the ability to craft items using raw materials.
---
"Scissors are overpowered, but rock is okay." - paper
#2LordZutakiPosted 3/4/2011 10:10:07 PM
this would be awesome but my opinion isn't valid because i am also a minecraft addict
---
If you believe that Metroid Prime is the best game on the face of the Earth, and you're 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#3gungunn101Posted 3/4/2011 10:25:11 PM

this would be awesome but my opinion isn't valid because i am also a minecraft addict

That should make it all the more valid.
---
If you are Amish and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#4johnboythe4thPosted 3/4/2011 11:31:55 PM
How would a building addict's opinion be valid on a topic about building? It would be 100% bias, therefore invalid.

Oh GameFaqs, you so crazy.
---
The new Emperor of the Mudcrabs. Position claimed after defeating the imposters and usurpers.
Number of crabs loyal to me: 48
#5_The_Blode_Posted 3/4/2011 11:37:20 PM
Having your choices be reflected on the world would be grand, and making new buildings would kick ass. I hated how the bruma mages guild in Oblivion sat and burned on the inside perpetually. I hate how Kvatch was in an infinite state of burning and people living in tents. The rebuild kvatch mod was spectacular, and really put extra immersion. I'd like to see more like that in Skyrim.
---
-Official Lord of the Victorious Minjo Brotherhood-
That's great. You won't be playing SC2 beta on your Mac though. - MBorella
#6VampLordAdamaruPosted 3/5/2011 5:02:16 AM
As far as building it yourself, I'm not sure how I would feel about it.

However, I do think we should be allowed to purchase/commission houses of various styles (shacks, "normal" houses, mansions, castles, etc.) in various locations (lakefront, near cities, out in the woods, up on mountains, etc.). You could also pick the architectural style (Nord, Dunmer, etc.).

The more advanced or prestigious styles would cost more, obviously, but would have more features as well.

You could also select what kind of character it would be most appropriate for (think the house DLCs from Oblivion, and being able to commission houses that are similar to those). The most advanced/expensive houses could have features for every kind of character.
---
There are no stupid questions... There are, however, a LOT of stupid people...
(Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub) FEAR MY SPORK!!
#7johnboythe4thPosted 3/5/2011 5:43:32 AM
Being able to purchase a castle atop a cliff (like the one in Skingrad) and fully furnish it, as well as hiring cleaning staff, kitchen staff, Stewards, Guards, a captain of the guard and possibly have something like a personal 'prison' (all for an incredible amount of filthy wenches) would make this game so much, much more awesome for me.
---
The new Emperor of the Mudcrabs. Position claimed after defeating the imposters and usurpers.
Number of crabs loyal to me: 48
#8Gary2Posted 3/5/2011 6:37:25 AM
It would be nice if you could buy most houses in the game. A bit like Fable 2.

This might be harder to implement in the Elder Scrolls world though. And it might lead to more generic house designs which wouldn't be good.
#9DiggermanPosted 3/5/2011 7:14:22 AM
i'd be happy if they brought back housing as it was in morrowind. give us a housing option thru each of the factions that are around. make each one unique in some way, and in different locations around the map. Making a quest around it that allowed you to see the house progress or change thru construction or other means would also be great.

i remember in morrowind how cool the telvanni house that you could have built was, but i always preferred the location of one of the other factions house. the one near balmora, cant remember the name exactly and every time i try to spell it, it doesnt look right haha. started with an H i believe.
#10GameGuy_5318Posted 3/5/2011 7:45:55 AM
I want to be able to build a lakefront castle and shoot lightning at mud crabs from the comfort of my own home
---
uncreative sig is uncreative