So we know a lot of fantasy elements in TES came from Tolkien...

#1SSulivan11Posted 3/18/2011 5:30:01 AM
But where did Tolkien get that stuff?

Was it all mythology (elves have pointy ears and live in trees, dwarves are short with beards and live in mountains, orcs are big and green and are warriors) or did Tolkien actually come up on some of that on his own?

Basically, where do these fantasy elements come from? Was the lure of Tolkien's books the world he created with existing elements, or did he actually dream it up?
---
I'm untouchable (you get it??)
#2ZXR_ReignSlayerPosted 3/18/2011 5:38:53 AM
There are literally more than hundred explanations as to why tolkien's fantasy make up is so popular.

I believe because it is intrinsically balanced. Men have the land, Mer have the forest, and Dwarves have the underground. With this balance you have three extremely different races and cultures, but due to none of the races being in immediate proximity there is relatively peace between the races. Don't know how he thought this up, he just did, and it works.
---
Some trolls can't be reasoned with by facts or logic. Some trolls just want to watch the boards burn.
Kirby Superstar(SNES) is best game ever! Great Cave FTW!
#3ZXR_ReignSlayerPosted 3/18/2011 5:39:48 AM
To slightly reiterate I think they just came from his mind.
---
Some trolls can't be reasoned with by facts or logic. Some trolls just want to watch the boards burn.
Kirby Superstar(SNES) is best game ever! Great Cave FTW!
#4daveliciousPosted 3/18/2011 5:42:39 AM

To slightly reiterate I think they just came from his mind.

I'm sure they were inspired. I don't want to take away from his creativity... but I'm sure he got ideas from legends about people living underground, or elves in the forests of northern Europe.
---
PSN: Davelicious GT: Davelicious46
NEW SETUP: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/Davelicious406/DSC02294.jpg
#5DiscernPosted 3/18/2011 5:45:09 AM
LSD
---
GT- Discern88
#6SSulivan11(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2011 5:47:52 AM
^ Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner.
---
I'm untouchable (you get it??)
#7I have no namePosted 3/18/2011 5:50:03 AM
I'm pretty sure Tolkien got most of his inspiration from old english/norse legends, Beowulf and the like. When your an English professor at Oxford you have a lot of time to read ancient stories and daydream.
---
How I reacted to the news of a new Elder Scrolls game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY
#8tuchPosted 3/18/2011 5:53:25 AM
So we know a lot of fantasy elements in Oblivion came from Tolkien...

Fixed. Todd Howard is on record saying that he was heavily influenced by the LotR movies during Oblivion's development. I don't see that many similarities between Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Arena with the LotR.
---
"Wrong again, idiot." ~ Prof. Farnsworth
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6963/profer0.gif
#9runner5676Posted 3/18/2011 6:31:21 AM
Tolkien was heavily inspired by Finnish legends. As for who thought up that stuff? Well the world was a different place, it was even more full of superstition. And of course there was no internet or media, tales were told by word of mouth, and exaggerated upon (this is where we get the idea of magical weapons) Throw in a heavy dose of escapist fiction, in the form of songs and children's bedtime stories, and you end up with a generic lore which we have been drawing on ever since.
---
"now i want to go awall in this game and get hororly discharged to get out of this game. this plot is angry me" -Kittyheart
#10manbearpig300Posted 3/18/2011 11:09:31 AM
tolkien was the first mention of orcs and hobbits but elves n dwarves have been told about it legends just like giants.

He was admitably drawn in by norse/greek/english mythology with the ring being evil and what not was mainly english myth.