Did anyone on these boards play Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

#21Coop14Posted 3/18/2011 6:33:25 PM
Sniping_Turtle posted...
I won't lie either.

There was a fair amount of stuff Fallout 3 did better then Oblivion, not to mention FO3 had a fair amount of humor, a little emotion, and some awesome scenes.

Would I want Skyrim to be similar to Fallout 3 though? **** no.

Would I want Bethesda to make another Fallout? Yes.

Would I want Obsidian to make another Fallout? Hell no, having a few Black Isle Studio employees or not, it did a couple of things right and ****ed up the rest.

Ive seen you on these boards alot and i think you should know... You. Are. My. ****ing. Hero.

So much said right and nothing said wrong.
---
I am a fan of Steve Burns for being a childhood hero and a great Indie artist.
My cousin is David Hasselhoff. Believers: 4
#22CitadelSecurityPosted 3/18/2011 6:36:18 PM
Coop14 posted...
Sniping_Turtle posted...
I won't lie either.

There was a fair amount of stuff Fallout 3 did better then Oblivion, not to mention FO3 had a fair amount of humor, a little emotion, and some awesome scenes.

Would I want Skyrim to be similar to Fallout 3 though? **** no.

Would I want Bethesda to make another Fallout? Yes.

Would I want Obsidian to make another Fallout? Hell no, having a few Black Isle Studio employees or not, it did a couple of things right and ****ed up the rest.

Ive seen you on these boards alot and i think you should know... You. Are. My. ****ing. Hero.

So much said right and nothing said wrong.

Except for the part about New Vegas. I played New Vegas for about 20 hours when I rented it, and I enjoyed them more than the 40 hours it took me to get all the Fallout 3 achievements.
---
If you believed what you felt, you would be in love
#23CitadelSecurityPosted 3/18/2011 6:39:38 PM
Oh, and the Bethesda making another game.
---
If you believed what you felt, you would be in love
#24_LunaKight_Posted 3/18/2011 6:48:03 PM
Fallout 3 does pretty much everything better than Oblivion. The leveling was far better, no leveled loot, enemies don't scale with you, companions, merchants didn't have an infinite amount of money, random encounters made the wasteland feel alive, ect.

Cyrodil was just so boring. Bethesda made the capitol wasteland so much more interesting. Just imagine: A thriving city and countryside set in a retro-futuristic 50's styled setting. Now imagine that the chinese dropped a huge number of nukes and destroyed damn near everything. Now imagine crawling out of a vault after 200 years and seeing this for the first time. Yeah, FO3's world is much more interesting. Cyrodil is boring version earth, except emptier.
---
O_o
"I'm on the Jeresey Shore, b*****s!"
#25goldenmouthPosted 3/18/2011 7:07:46 PM
_LunaKight_
no leveled loot, enemies don't scale with you

fail.
#26Sniping_TurtlePosted 3/18/2011 7:19:34 PM(edited)

Fallout 3 does pretty much everything better than Oblivion. The leveling was far better, no leveled loot, enemies don't scale with you, companions, merchants didn't have an infinite amount of money, random encounters made the wasteland feel alive, ect.

Cyrodil was just so boring. Bethesda made the capitol wasteland so much more interesting. Just imagine: A thriving city and countryside set in a retro-futuristic 50's styled setting. Now imagine that the chinese dropped a huge number of nukes and destroyed damn near everything. Now imagine crawling out of a vault after 200 years and seeing this for the first time. Yeah, FO3's world is much more interesting. Cyrodil is boring version earth, except emptier.

Wasn't exactly what I was getting at, but again everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

For starters, Fallout did correct leveled loot and enemies so it was a lot less noticeable or annoying. As I said before, they managed to create a game that had a fair amount of humor, emotion and amazing scenes. They created individual towns that each had it's own unique feel and backstory to them. Companions were a nice touch and random encounters made the wasteland feel more alive, though somewhat more wacky then needed for the more serious player.

As for 3 vs NV

*potential spoilers*

Well these are all opinions.

While I do agree they did do enemies, ADS, the basic concept of factions, weapon mods and some quests right, as well as doing the Fallout lore better, the game itself was fairly forgettable.

Ignoring the bugs, the first half of the game was basically linear, forcing you to follow the highway and their main quest due to enemy placement. There wasn't really much charm, humor or emotion in the game, even with the wild wasteland perk. The only memorable thing was Tumbleweed Ranch. There wasn't a lot of amazing scenes except maybe the Securitron army at the Hoover Dam at the end if you decided to side with Yesman or Mr. House.

Yes, I do realize they were trying to give the Wasteland this dangerous feel, and they did it right with the enemies, but they also managed to restrict 90% of the Wasteland to the player at the lower levels, forcing you to take the highway, do their quest, and get the experience and items needed to survive another 40% of it.

When it usually comes to Sandbox games, there needs to be a fine balance between freedom and "holy ****, don't go there yet." The usually way to accomplish this is to divide the overall map in 3 separate parts, a lower initial area for the beginning, a middle area to deter beginners and accompany the middle levels, followed by the higher area suitable to the higher levels. This typically gives the player a feel of freedom as it allows them to roam a large chunk of the map off the beaten path while not feeling overly restricted.

Granted that's a basic concept, and there are much better options to balance this, such as how Morrowind and Fallout 3 have done it. Give free roam to the majority of the map, but add dangerous dungeons and other areas.
---
May God have mercy on your soul... - The Preacher
Because I sure as hell won't. - The Gunslinger