The way you hold and swing daggers kinda bugs me

#1quadrupleswordPosted 5/4/2011 5:17:57 PM
This is a very minor nitpick, but it's always annoyed me the way your character holds and swings a dagger. (S)he holds it like a long sword and swings it horizontally and vertically exactly like a long sword. Now this bugs me because I'm pretty sure daggers weren't built for horizontal / vertical slashing, and were instead made for thrusting and striking at key weak points (the neck, for instance).

I think it would look a lot better if you held the dagger in between your middle finger and ring finger. That would give you more leverage for thrusting and stabbing, what I'm pretty sure the dagger was made for. I'm not 100% up to speed on all my knowledge of medieval era weaponry, but I have a strong feeling that daggers were never meant to be used as slashing weapons; they were instead meant to be used as thrusting weapons.
---
"Scissors are overpowered, but rock is okay." - paper
#2MRoberts88Posted 5/4/2011 5:20:00 PM
What about control and force? I can control a dagger, with greater force, if I hold it in my fist.
---
Commence ta jigglin'- Jigglebilly
Leader of the Highwayman Faction
#3TheeKingOsirisPosted 5/4/2011 5:21:08 PM
Dude, I forgot about this! I thought of this as soon as I played Ass Cred.

They need to copy them and hold the blade *&^%$#@ backwards.
#4quadruplesword(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2011 5:23:07 PM
What about control and force? I can control a dagger, with greater force, if I hold it in my fist.

I should have put a disclaimer stating that my knowledge of medieval era weaponry is very limited. Maybe I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about because, again, I only have very rudimentary knowledge of medieval weapons.
---
"Scissors are overpowered, but rock is okay." - paper
#5TheeKingOsirisPosted 5/4/2011 5:23:22 PM
AC shows you that they make great slashing weapons....
#6TheeKingOsirisPosted 5/4/2011 5:25:42 PM
And hell, they need to add stilettos for the DB.
#7agentspoonPosted 5/4/2011 5:27:41 PM
Daggers were made toy be heavy knives, a simple and small back up weapon that could be concealed and use in very close combat.

While the enemy is swinging at you you could nip inside his guard and plant the blade in the weakspots in his armour. This could not be done with a Great, Long or Shortsword.

Holding a dagger like you said would be pointless and give you much less stopping power than holding one properly. A dagger is good for upward thrusts, getting behind armour that covers the chest and getting under the ribcage to strike vital organs. As well as the reverse grip for stabbing downwards getting behind the armour around the neck and shoulders.
---
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
#8RUNNERSHIGHPosted 5/4/2011 5:29:31 PM
anyone who knows anything about knife play knows you hold the weapon with the blade down towards you forearm. if only they would put that style of knife work in, i might actually play a stealth character
---
The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.
#9The_OnionKnightPosted 5/4/2011 5:36:35 PM

RUNNERSHIGH posted...
anyone who knows anything about knife play knows you hold the weapon with the blade down towards you forearm. if only they would put that style of knife work in, i might actually play a stealth character
---
The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

Yeah this is how it is usually done...this kind of wielding also allows the user to use holds on the victim whether facing you or the other way.

I have seen users also wield the knife with the blade pointing out like a knuckle... It seems the slip their finger/s? through a special hole on the knifes hilt.

#10agentspoonPosted 5/4/2011 5:37:26 PM
RUNNERSHIGH posted...

Your talking in an actual sense or gameplay sense? If actual then I have to disagree. As I have said above the only reason you would hold a dagger in an "unorthodox" stance is if your aiming for a very specific place.

Attempting to fight as you described would be terribly ineffective as you would need to do wide slashes and raise your arms above you head to do any real damage leaving your entire torso open to punches and weapon stabs.
---
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!