Giving it a third try

#1RiKuToTheMiGhtYPosted 6/2/2011 12:35:34 AM
I see a new TES game is coming out and many people seem to be really excited about it as they were with TES IV Oblivion.

In the past I tried TES III Morrowind and hated it mostly cause of the graphics and the character movement being awkward and the fact it just didn't seem to be my kind of game. I also tried TES IV a few years ago and while they improved on the graphics the character movement when in 3rd person POV was still odd, the game did handle better but I had problems with the NPC interaction.

TES V is coming out but this time the story actually interests me, I like the fact theres dragons and more mythology from what I have seen. I really hope this one is good IMO as they seem to do better with each sequel and probably improved from Fallout 3.

Well heres to me hoping this TES is the one I am not only interested in story wise but also I enjoy the gameplay/interaction this time.
---
doa-plus.com - We Press Forward. . . By Pressing Back.
#2NathanDrake12Posted 6/2/2011 12:55:43 AM(edited)
3rd times the charm. Game's looking good. :)
---
R.I.P. Theo, Date of Death: 3/20/2010
#3Ajd_KingPosted 6/2/2011 1:02:57 AM
Son, I hope you brought your shotgun, cause you're about to be attacked by a horde of raging, frothing zombie-demons for that comment about each sequel being an improvement.
---
Anyone ever experienced a feeling of boredom so acute it borders upon homicidal rage?
#4RiKuToTheMiGhtY(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2011 11:51:51 AM
Why don't people thing each sequel is an improvement ?, from what I've seen and heard people love both Morrowind and Oblivion.
---
#5anluanPosted 6/2/2011 12:11:03 PM
Because many people believe that other than graphics and combat that morrowind was superior to oblivion.

I.e. morrowind had more items, more and better quests, more skills, etc.
#6deathcoffeePosted 6/2/2011 12:16:43 PM
More mythology? I don't know about that. All we've heard about so far is DARGONS and a few new mythological creatures (I think the only new ones we've seen are draugr, ice wraiths, and giants). Virtually nothing about the aedra or daedra, astrology, environments, magic, etc.

But you should give Morrowind another try on a decent PC with the sound & graphics overhaul and some combat mods. The MGSO completely revamps the graphics (and animations) to be near Oblivion's level, and with some things it actually looks better than vanilla oblivion (3D water, godrays, SSAO, high resolution textures, draw distance, higher grass density, etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r6hilB6Dlc
http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/6250/58856424.png
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/356/11827918.png
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7914/53827114.png
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9124/34057015.png
#7heartlessprinnyPosted 6/2/2011 12:18:13 PM
RiKuToTheMiGhtY posted...
Why don't people thing each sequel is an improvement ?, from what I've seen and heard people love both Morrowind and Oblivion.

Because Oblivion did a lot of things Morrowind fans did not appreciate. Ridiculous level and loot scaling, oh look another marauder with a full daedric set sans helmet. Dungeons all looked nearly identical, hmm it's like dejavu. The story wasn't nearly as interesting or well written (opinion). As well as a general lack of freedom compared to Morrowind. Also most of the armor looked worse imo.
---
Games I'm looking forward to: Skyrim,The Last Guardian, Zelda Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, inFAMOUS 2, Dark Souls, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII.
#8deathcoffeePosted 6/2/2011 12:32:35 PM
heartlessprinny posted...
RiKuToTheMiGhtY posted...

Because Oblivion did a lot of things Morrowind fans did not appreciate. Ridiculous level and loot scaling, oh look another marauder with a full daedric set sans helmet. Dungeons all looked nearly identical, hmm it's like dejavu. The story wasn't nearly as interesting or well written (opinion). As well as a general lack of freedom compared to Morrowind. Also most of the armor looked worse imo.

Plus the world was much less interesting in Oblivion. Morrowind's world was strange and fun to explore, while Oblivion's was boring and mostly procedurally generated. It looked good, but after a few hours of playing you've seen pretty much everything. Almost every city in Oblivion used the same art assets. Oblivion had significantly less armor/weapon/item variety, fewer fast travel methods, basically just less of everything. It's like they stretched less content over more world space, and the world was only bigger because they used procedural generation to help make the landscape (which means boring, repetitive environments). Then to top it off they scrapped the variety of fast travel methods that we had in Morrowind (silt strider, boats, gondoliers, guild guides, propylon chambers, special teleporting items, mark/recall, almsivi/divine intervention, levitation, uncapped fortification (esp acrobatics), boots of blinding speed) and replaced them with horses and a map that can take you anywhere you've been (other than cities which you can instantly travel to immediately) completely unscathed.

Thankfully FCOM helps A LOT.
#9RiKuToTheMiGhtY(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2011 1:23:21 PM
I see, a good idea for me trying Morrowind with much better graphics but I have/played it on XBOX not PC, only played TES games on the xbox or 360.

For the short time I played them I defiantly liked the setting and area of Oblivion more then Morrowind, I can't stand to play TES III for more then 10 minutes due to the graphics, gameplay, and that it just never interested me. At the time I played it KOTOR 1 was big so even back then I thought the graphics were really bad compared to KOTOR.

Might give Oblivion another try but I am truly hoping that Skyrim is the one I can really enjoy from the get go seeing as right now I am liking what I am seeing.
---