what's the difference between light and heavy armor?

#1coldnight14Posted 8/20/2011 11:10:12 PM
haven't played oblivion in forever and i forgot the difference. is it just that light armor is weaker but you can run faster/ less encumbered? or does it also affect your stealth...

and it's probably the same difference in skyrim too right?
---
http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/photos/2008/02/260_king_snowy_night_01.jpg http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt300/turbokneegrow7/falcons_logo1.gif
#2FalconPaunchPosted 8/20/2011 11:27:13 PM
Light armor

Pros:
-Less weight, more room in inventory
-Stealth isn't affected as much by it as heavy armor
-Perhaps it affects running speed but not sure in this one

Cons:
-Less armor, quicker death
-Less sustainable durability

Heavy Armor is pretty much just the opposite of that, more or less. I know I'm missing a couple things and there are still aspects of both armor that we're unfamiliar with (i.e. Perks, movement, jumping, etc.) but this is pretty much the basic idea of it.
---
:)
#3clone11Posted 8/20/2011 11:38:51 PM

The speed you run at with Heavy Armor is AWFUL.

#4mrJLJ66Posted 8/21/2011 12:36:31 AM
basically, light armor is lighter (der), so you can run faster overall, but have less protection than heavy armor. however, at 100 skill, heavy armor and light armor hav the same defensive values overall technically, and heavy armor wearers can run as fast as light armor wearers. the only difference between the two at 100 is that heavy armor has more health, so you dont have to repair it as often.

the sneak part is due to the weight of the boots.
---
pacta sunt servanda
Youtube account - http://www.youtube.com/user/mrJLJ66 currently doing a "Let's Play" of TESIV Oblivion
#5solaris32Posted 8/21/2011 12:39:37 AM
Light armor was pointless in Oblivion, I expect they will fix that.
---
i183.photobucket.com/albums/x182/solaris32/babyeater.jpg
"[Fallout 3] is the kind of game that I think about when I make love to my wife"-Darth_nacho
#6odocPosted 8/21/2011 12:46:11 AM
solaris32 posted...
Light armor was pointless in Oblivion, I expect they will fix that.

Not true, I used it. It provided a solid defense while still enabling stealth. Ideal for archers and assasins.
---
VANCOUVER CANUCKS!!!
#7solaris32Posted 8/21/2011 12:57:26 AM
Your boots affected stealth, not your armor if I remember right. And once you got heavy armor to 100 I think, you could move as fast in it as light armor.
---
i183.photobucket.com/albums/x182/solaris32/babyeater.jpg
"[Fallout 3] is the kind of game that I think about when I make love to my wife"-Darth_nacho
#8JE19426Posted 8/21/2011 1:12:12 AM
solaris32 posted...
Your boots affected stealth, not your armor if I remember right. And once you got heavy armor to 100 I think, you could move as fast in it as light armor.

And if you got light armour to 100 the only difference between the two is that light armour weighs less in the inventory. They both block the same amount of damage so why is the heavier one better?
---
Things I dislike: People that talk about religion on video game forums and people that refer to FF4 and FF6 as FF2 and FF3 without explaining it.
#9Ajd_KingPosted 8/21/2011 1:28:54 AM
JE19426 posted...
solaris32 posted...

And if you got light armour to 100 the only difference between the two is that light armour weighs less in the inventory. They both block the same amount of damage so why is the heavier one better?

They don't block the same amount of damage necessarily. Once LA is at 100 it blocks 50% more damage, but if the heavy armour equivalent has more than a 50% lead, the HA will be better.
---
I always take my good when creating faces and stuffs.
- supo
#10JE19426Posted 8/21/2011 1:40:44 AM(edited)
Ajd_King posted...
They don't block the same amount of damage necessarily. Once LA is at 100 it blocks 50% more damage, but if the heavy armour equivalent has more than a 50% lead, the HA will be better.

The only levels you're likely to have 100 in either armour skill HA has only 50% more armour then LA so they are even. Although there is nothing to stop you having armour skill much higher then your level implies so I should of said that.
---
Things I dislike: People that talk about religion on video game forums and people that refer to FF4 and FF6 as FF2 and FF3 without explaining it.