Aren't the so-called "Dragons" in this actually Wyverns?

#11VampLordAdamaruPosted 9/21/2011 6:02:25 AM
ZarnonElchris posted...
People keep bringing this up, but they never seem to actually know what a wyvern is.
Wyverns can't talk, don't breath fire, and have poison stingers on their tails.
They are not a type of dragon, and differ from dragons in far more significant ways than their appearance.
A dragon with 2 legs is still a dragon.

Actually, it really depends on which lore or source you're going with. Some lore would give a wyvern those attributes. However, other lore, such as D&D lore, makes wyverns into "lesser dragons," meaning they're smaller and weaker, but have many of the same characteristics, including various types of breath attacks (fire, ice, lightning, etc.).
---
There are no stupid questions... There are, however, a LOT of stupid people...
(Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub) FEAR MY SPORK!!
#12Ajd_KingPosted 9/21/2011 6:10:46 AM
I really do laugh when people debate topics like these.

"HURR DUR THEY AREN'T DRAGONS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T EXACTLY LIKE HOW I IMAGINE THEM"

"DERPA HERP THE CULLENS AREN'T VAMPIRES BECAUSE THEY AREN'T REAL VANPIRES LIKE THE REAL ONES"

Seriously. Things like dragons, werewolves, vampires and whales are fictional creations. They do not exist. There is no one rigid definition of them. They are open to interpretation. Bethesda says that the enemies in Skyrim are called dragons, and by Khorne, you are going to accept that and enjoy it.
---
Potatoes, Potatoes everywhere! - Obama
#13daveliciousPosted 9/21/2011 6:11:02 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
Than may be true for some other fantasy (D&D?) but generally Wyverns are two legged Dragons with wings.

And therein lies the flaw in trying to tell people that a fictional creature in THEIR lore is actually something else.

Bethesda calls them dragons... they are dragons.
---
PSN: Davelicious GT: Davelicious46
NEW SETUP: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/Davelicious406/DSC02294.jpg
#14VampLordAdamaruPosted 9/21/2011 6:14:26 AM
Also, Reign of Fire's dragons? They have two legs and two wings. And they're still dragons...
---
#15FdshadowPosted 9/21/2011 6:21:30 AM
Dragons do not exist, the scientific proof behind them is absent, meaning anyone can shape the lore and anatomy behind them the way they want.

In Skyrim dragons look like typical Western-types, except they use 'dragon shouts' instead of a special organ made to store their breath weapon like the sort used in Dungeons and Dragons, and they don't seem able to shapeshift into an alternate humanoid form. That's the way Bethesda decided to go for, and the one that will be featured in their game, take it or leave it.
#16ZarnonElchrisPosted 9/21/2011 6:26:25 AM
VampLordAdamaru posted...
Actually, it really depends on which lore or source you're going with. Some lore would give a wyvern those attributes. However, other lore, such as D&D lore, makes wyverns into "lesser dragons," meaning they're smaller and weaker, but have many of the same characteristics, including various types of breath attacks (fire, ice, lightning, etc.).

Not true for D&D lore either. D&D wyverns do not have breath weapons and are only distantly related to dragons.
Although in this case I'm wrong about them being unable to talk. D&D says they can speak common and draconic, despite the word "stupid" coming up several times in their description.
#17VampLordAdamaruPosted 9/21/2011 6:36:42 AM
ZarnonElchris posted...
Not true for D&D lore either. D&D wyverns do not have breath weapons and are only distantly related to dragons.
Although in this case I'm wrong about them being unable to talk. D&D says they can speak common and draconic, despite the word "stupid" coming up several times in their description.

Ah, you're right. I was thinking of something else, I guess. I thought they had breath abilities as well, just weaker versions. My bad. XD
---
#18Morrowind4UPosted 9/21/2011 6:41:55 AM
komodo dragon?
dragonfly?
the modern-day depiction of dragons are just those 2 animals put together
---
Each Event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event.
#19DarkSymbiotePosted 9/21/2011 6:43:09 AM
Morrowind4U posted...
komodo dragon?
dragonfly?
the modern-day depiction of dragons are just those 2 animals put together

DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
---
TODD HOWARD is actually a dragon shout. It makes the user and everyone around them orgasm immediately from every orifice. It gets messy. - parradox1992
#20DoctorScrapsPosted 9/21/2011 7:53:39 AM
I wasn't aware there was a hard set zoological classification of what a Dragon was.
Granted, the devs would probably respond to this with "We're not changing any and all reference to Dragons as Wyverns, so toss off."
---
I use sarcasm a lot. If you are offended, feel free to flame me and I'll just pretend to listen.