Skyrim is the definition of Power Fantasy.

#1FindmeElseweyrPosted 11/6/2011 6:09:17 PM
To start this topic - I have played every Elder Scrolls game since the first. Oblivion was the first "true" sequel that didn't feel like a real ES game, simply because they made it out to be Middle Earth with lizards and cats walking around. The fact that the very first quest you get in the main story line is you delivering a ring (remind anyone of the hobbit?) only helps to solidify this feeling.

It was not a bad game. On it's own, it would have been seen as a ground-breaking new IP; but an Elder Scrolls game, it was not. I can understand why Bethesda sought to reach out towards more traditional roles with Oblivion, but the game failed in setting. It did not feel like Tamriel. It felt like Middle Earth.

There were many complaints following Oblivion, many of which have been addressed by Bethesda in their newest installment. "I never feel powerful", the fans cry out. "The environment is boring!" they sneer.

What does Bethesda do? They give you the biggest power trip you will have this year.

What's the most masculine setting you could possibly portray in high fantasy? Vikings, of course! So they set the game in the land of the nords, where you handle a dispute with your fists, and speak of your conquests over a mug of mead. That's a great start, they think; but no, this is just the start!

The main objective of the game is hunting down and killing the most dangerous creatures ever encountered in high fantasy -- Dragons! Still not enough! They give us dual wielding, they give us giant two handed weapons, they give us new, unique powerful spells! They let us create characters as big as muscular as we want, or our women as thin and voluptuous as we desire!

We hunt down the most powerful creatures the world has seen, and then, we ABSORB their power! We become even MORE powerful by hunting and killing! Throughout the game they treat you as a god, as their only saviour against these beasts. The women fall to their knees before your might, the mightiest of warriors lay down their arms in your name, and the scariest of beasts cower as they hear your roar.

You are the Dovahkiin! You are the dragon born! and everything in this is DESIGNED to make you feel powerful. You fight enemies too strong for you, that cut you down -- so what do you do? You become more powerful, then go back to those enemies and rip them asunder with your might!

If you analyze the game in this aspect, if you carefully study all of the creatures, the entire system of the game, you realize that this game has been designed, from conception, to be a power fantasy.

"That's what RPG's are all about!"

No, no. RPG's -allow- you to become a god, they allow you to become powerful, and you do eventually end up on a power trip, but from square one, you aren't built up to be a viking badass, who can snap a dragons neck with one hand, while holding his woman in the other.

tl;dr why are you on a message board if you don't want to read?
#2otakon2006Posted 11/6/2011 6:12:40 PM
That is one of the most entertaining and well written posts I've seen on GameFAQs. Well done sir, well done!
#3CrimsonAngelPosted 11/6/2011 6:12:53 PM
FindmeElseweyr posted...
To start this topic - I have played every Elder Scrolls game since the first. Oblivion was the first "true" sequel that didn't feel like a real ES game, simply because they made it out to be Middle Earth with lizards and cats walking around. The fact that the very first quest you get in the main story line is you delivering a ring (remind anyone of the hobbit?) only helps to solidify this feeling.

It was not a bad game. On it's own, it would have been seen as a ground-breaking new IP; but an Elder Scrolls game, it was not. I can understand why Bethesda sought to reach out towards more traditional roles with Oblivion, but the game failed in setting. It did not feel like Tamriel. It felt like Middle Earth.

There were many complaints following Oblivion, many of which have been addressed by Bethesda in their newest installment. "I never feel powerful", the fans cry out. "The environment is boring!" they sneer.

What does Bethesda do? They give you the biggest power trip you will have this year.

What's the most masculine setting you could possibly portray in high fantasy? Vikings, of course! So they set the game in the land of the nords, where you handle a dispute with your fists, and speak of your conquests over a mug of mead. That's a great start, they think; but no, this is just the start!

The main objective of the game is hunting down and killing the most dangerous creatures ever encountered in high fantasy -- Dragons! Still not enough! They give us dual wielding, they give us giant two handed weapons, they give us new, unique powerful spells! They let us create characters as big as muscular as we want, or our women as thin and voluptuous as we desire!

We hunt down the most powerful creatures the world has seen, and then, we ABSORB their power! We become even MORE powerful by hunting and killing! Throughout the game they treat you as a god, as their only saviour against these beasts. The women fall to their knees before your might, the mightiest of warriors lay down their arms in your name, and the scariest of beasts cower as they hear your roar.

You are the Dovahkiin! You are the dragon born! and everything in this is DESIGNED to make you feel powerful. You fight enemies too strong for you, that cut you down -- so what do you do? You become more powerful, then go back to those enemies and rip them asunder with your might!

If you analyze the game in this aspect, if you carefully study all of the creatures, the entire system of the game, you realize that this game has been designed, from conception, to be a power fantasy.

No, no. RPG's -allow- you to become a god, they allow you to become powerful, and you do eventually end up on a power trip, but from square one, you aren't built up to be a viking badass, who can snap a dragons neck with one hand, while holding his woman in the other.

Looks at Oblivions title;

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. By crikey I guess it was an elder scrolls game guess you were wrong TC believe it or not you don't get to decide what installments of a franchise are or are not deserving of being considered.
---
NATURAL TWENTY! - Ember
#4EmmurePosted 11/6/2011 6:14:38 PM
What exactly is your point? You typed a lot of words but didn't actually say anything worthwhile.
---
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/Jvchequer/Trollface_HD.jpg
#5yourxd433Posted 11/6/2011 6:16:34 PM

[QUOTE="Emmure"]What exactly is your point? You typed a lot of words but didn't actually say anything worthwhile.
---
the fact that you listen to emmure and find it enjoyable means you should be banned from the internet for life

#6swordoflight86Posted 11/6/2011 6:16:46 PM
That is the most awesome post I've read all week. I know you were probably going for epic TC, but I think the word epic gets thrown around a bit too much. Then again, this is the internet, the bar is much lower. So in retrospect, that was the most epic post I've read all week.
---
Swordoflight86's Top 3 Video Game Villians
Jon Irenicus-BG2:SoA, Sarah Kerrigan-SC:BW, Kane-C&C
#7RevanLockePosted 11/6/2011 6:18:11 PM
Emmure posted...
What exactly is your point? You typed a lot of words but didn't actually say anything worthwhile.

He's saying that Skyrim sets you up to be the most powerful being right from the get-go, something he feels goes against what RPGs are all about.
---
Gamertag: Revan Deschain
#8Brendon29Posted 11/6/2011 6:18:17 PM

Exactly, what is your point? Even if you did have one, your inaccuracies would invalidate them. Deliver a ring? Last I remember, it was a necklace.

#9vc152007Posted 11/6/2011 6:20:02 PM(edited)
FindmeElseweyr posted...

Ohhhh :/
---
Please for the love of god, remake Rainbow Six 3
#10ShiroKao47Posted 11/6/2011 6:20:38 PM
Delivering a ring? It was the Amulet of kings. And in the lord of the rings the ring wasent delivered anywhere it was taken to mordor to be destroyed. The two plots are compleatly different except they both involve jewellery.