Most Powerful Perks (spoilers)

#1KromemPosted 11/8/2011 8:24:13 PM
I've posted another bit on this forum about Enchanting, but I wrote this in response to a thread on a different forum, and think some on here might find it valuable in planning their perks.

------------

Enchanting Perks (specifically the +100% to enchants and Extra Effect) are the most powerful and flexible in the game.

Many of the magic items seem to have effects that match the tiered perks in other skill trees. So you get a 400% increase to enchants which can round out other skills.

Consider:
Let's say you want to max out your sneak after already getting some other perks in that tree. That'd be an investment of 4 perks at 20% per perk.

Let's see how much +Sneak you'd get with enchanting per perk point.

Assuming a +15% Sneak enchant (which I bet is probably only what you'd get from a Common Soul Gem, but let's just go with that for the sake of example), what could we get?
Well, w/o the Enchanting perks, and applying the enchant to every armor slot (feet, hands, armor, helm, 2x rings, and amulet), we'd have 7*15% = 105% increase.

With the above perks, we'd have a 420% increase to Sneak.

420-105 = 315%

Total perks to get both those perks: 8 perks

315/8 = 39.3% increase to Sneak per Enchanting perk. Roughly double what you'd get investing in the Sneak skill tree directly.

(Also, I ignored that along the path you'd grab +25% to skill increase enchants)

And I seriously doubt that +15% will be the cap for +skill enchants, so the difference is much larger. In fact, I expect it to be more like a 4-5x increase per perk over investing in a particular skill. And the gear you enchant is swapable, unlike the perks. Want to pick a lock? Put on your lock-picking rings& amulet which offer a combined 225% increase to Lockpicking (base 15% but including the 25% perk in tree). Switch back to your +whatever other skill when done.

Any build that doesn't go with the aforementioned Enchanting perks is either doing it for RP reasons or just hasn't thought through the game mechanics enough.
#2nightphantom850Posted 11/8/2011 8:27:34 PM
how.. about..just playing the game..??
---
NWalterstorf- "Splinter Cell will turn into a dead series if it doesn't clean up its act."
GT:nightphantom085
#3AtzaruPosted 11/8/2011 8:31:18 PM
nightphantom850 posted...

Yeah, I'm totally down with that. And that's coming from the guy who's already picking his perks ahead of time lol.
#4Axels_BladePosted 11/8/2011 8:31:19 PM

Some people enjoy the planning stages. Just because you don't enjoy it, doesn't mean others don't.

I'll keep this in mind, TC. Good catch. :)
---
Everything and nothing, heart and mind, fantasy and reality. These thing fly through my mind, driving me towards madness.
#5divinerulerPosted 11/8/2011 8:35:36 PM
Enchantment has always been the easiest way to maximize build as long as you can farm for soul gems.
---
PSN: sobertom
#6DahlVaughnniPosted 11/8/2011 8:38:31 PM(edited)
I dunno if I'd say this is a spoiler really. No plot twists are revealed and the gameplay is not ruined. I read the whole thing and basically what I'm hearing is "enchanting kicks ass" which was my assumption from the beginning, considering the amazing enchanting in oblivion. I wonder if it works the same in this game as it does in oblivion, I love my oblivion weapon

Daedric Dagger
Drain 100 health pts for 1 sec
Soul Trap for 1 sec
Drain Agility 66 pts for 1 sec
Weakness to Magic 100% for 4 sec.

Drain health takes away 100 hp, then 200 hp, then 300 hp with each swing due to the magic weakness stacking. Soul Trap for infinite charges, and Drain Agility to keep them staggered so they can't block in case they have high magic resist (some monsters die in 1-2 hits on max difficulty, some take 3-5 hits like the goblin shaman). And obviously I chose a dagger to stack the effects quickly rather than deal weapon damage.
---
Gamertag & PSN: Archlvt
FFCC: EOT FC - 0261 0047 8986
#7Kromem(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 8:37:39 PM

Well, just winging it is one way to approach TES.

For me, I like planning out and optimizing my character. I'm the sort of person that maxed my Oblivion stats despite the awful, terrible, horrifying leveling system. It was painful, but I really don't like the idea that my character isn't as good as it could be. Or in Fallout 3, I grabbed all the Bobble Statues early on to gain the most from the stat increases over level-ups, and planned out perks to allow myself to max out (or come as close as possible) the stats and skills.

I guess I just find theorycrafting fun. You clearly do not. But I doubt I'm the only one that is pouring through perks right now planning out their character development. This post was for those people, not you.
#8DahlVaughnniPosted 11/8/2011 8:39:42 PM
Kromem posted...

Well, just winging it is one way to approach TES.

For me, I like planning out and optimizing my character. I'm the sort of person that maxed my Oblivion stats despite the awful, terrible, horrifying leveling system. It was painful, but I really don't like the idea that my character isn't as good as it could be. Or in Fallout 3, I grabbed all the Bobble Statues early on to gain the most from the stat increases over level-ups, and planned out perks to allow myself to max out (or come as close as possible) the stats and skills.

I guess I just find theorycrafting fun. You clearly do not. But I doubt I'm the only one that is pouring through perks right now planning out their character development. This post was for those people, not you.

I also like to plan out my characters. Pouring over stats and skills and everything is the best part of rpgs to me.
---
#9Kromem(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 8:42:51 PM
DahlVaughnni posted...
I dunno if I'd say this is a spoiler really. No plot twists are revealed and the gameplay is not ruined. I read the whole thing and basically what I'm hearing is "enchanting kicks ass" which was my assumption from the beginning, considering the amazing enchanting in oblivion. I wonder if it works the same in this game as it does in oblivion, I love my oblivion weapon

Daedric Dagger
Soul Trap for 1 sec

Drain health takes away 100 hp, then 200 hp, then 300 hp with each swing due to the magic weakness stacking. Soul Trap for infinite charges, and Drain Agility to keep them staggered so they can't block in case they have high magic resist (some monsters die in 1-2 hits on max difficulty, some take 3-5 hits like the goblin shaman). And obviously I chose a dagger to stack the effects quickly rather than deal weapon damage.

I've seen the perk reveals classified as spoilers on other threads, and decided to add the tag in case anyone was SUPER into not knowing specific details about the game. (Though I do wonder why would be on the forums if that's their intention...)

Also - I like how you set that up. ;)
#10DahlVaughnniPosted 11/8/2011 9:29:12 PM
Kromem posted...
DahlVaughnni posted...

Daedric Dagger
Soul Trap for 1 sec

I've seen the perk reveals classified as spoilers on other threads, and decided to add the tag in case anyone was SUPER into not knowing specific details about the game. (Though I do wonder why would be on the forums if that's their intention...)

Also - I like how you set that up. ;)

Yeah it's killer even on max difficulty, I wouldn't recommend making a beeline towards making that weapon early on or the rest of the game will be a total joke. I use it for lategame only.
---