Why do I keep getting clobbered?

#1EternalNetherPosted 11/12/2011 3:17:02 AM
I'm level 10, and I've been doing occasional sidequests and exploration, but I'm also working to progress the story (at least to a certain point). But there have been numerous times where I have to turn down the difficulty. I'm trying to make my way up to High Hrothgar (no spoilers don't worry) and yet I keep getting killed by random crap. First a green leaf spirit looking thing, then a troll, now a bear. These are all things that have been placed on the route for a story related mission.

I'm running a fairly standard character. Warrior with Steel Armor/Shield and a one-handed sword. So why am I constantly getting obliterated and being forced to turn down the difficulties just to progress this storyline quest? It's starting to piss me off quite a bit.
---
PC gamer elitism makes me sick, and makes me ashamed to consider myself a PC gamer.
#2Z350ZDRAGONPosted 11/12/2011 3:21:32 AM
Run pass the trolls, Learn to hold block and hit A to push him away. Also I use Fire in my fight hand. Does alot more damage then your sword I am sure. I have yet to kill a troll. I have killed the bear, snow sabres. Spriggen is the tree thing. I think thats the name. Im level 13 and I still have trouble every now and then even on the easiest difficulty. Some areas have hard enemies which you just need to bypass.
---
_______(=====()_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-,
I_iiiii__/'''''''''[{]''''''''{_)_)_)_)_)======. WARNING: I'm 24,intelligent,& open minded.
#3EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2011 3:25:44 AM
Z350ZDRAGON posted...
Run pass the trolls, Learn to hold block and hit A to push him away. Also I use Fire in my fight hand. Does alot more damage then your sword I am sure. I have yet to kill a troll. I have killed the bear, snow sabres. Spriggen is the tree thing. I think thats the name. Im level 13 and I still have trouble every now and then even on the easiest difficulty. Some areas have hard enemies which you just need to bypass.

I didn't even realize you could use your shield to push them away. I've been blocking with it, and that's all.
---
PC gamer elitism makes me sick, and makes me ashamed to consider myself a PC gamer.
#4MmaguyPosted 11/12/2011 3:26:07 AM

The only hard area I've come across is going into that cave for the second/third Companion quest. Right after the bugs you fight this wizard and this big mech looking thing. I cannot for the life of me beat him, at level 9

#5TyrannicalPosted 11/12/2011 3:29:44 AM
Come back when you are more powerful. You can't kill everything you meet at low level.
---
Australian customs: Do you have a criminal record?
Me: I didn't think you needed one anymore.
#6nomadski69Posted 11/12/2011 3:30:30 AM

The only hard area I've come across is going into that cave for the second/third Companion quest. Right after the bugs you fight this wizard and this big mech looking thing. I cannot for the life of me beat him, at level 9

If you use a bow, sneak to the entrance of that room, hit the mech a couple of times and run back the way you came to the first corner. he will lose interest in following you and head back. Rinse and repeat until hes dead. Then you just have the smaller dude on his own to kill.

As an aside, does anyone know if the mechanical parts you get from the mech have any practical uses other than to sell?
#7Z350ZDRAGONPosted 11/12/2011 3:32:12 AM
Well now you know lol. I didn't either until I accidently hit A while blocking and he did the pushing away motion. Then I tried it out and I was like really...although the sabres recover really fast from it. I have knocked them out of their stamina and they have fallen. Although my ice form shout works wonders....lol
---
I_iiiii__/'''''''''[{]''''''''{_)_)_)_)_)======. WARNING: I'm 24,intelligent,& open minded.
#8ronaldjenkeesPosted 11/12/2011 3:36:25 AM
I actually killed that troll at level 8. What I did was put a point in improved 2 hand destruction spells and put flame in both hands and roasted him. Although I had to sprint away a few times and use a few magika pots it was very easy leveled up destruction while killing it.
#9Z350ZDRAGONPosted 11/12/2011 3:38:59 AM
Well i was out of potions at the time. I had the same setup also, I tend to not run away. I try to stand and hold my ground and use potions if i need to. I use flame far away and switch to shield and fire when they get close.
---