Can companions die permanently?

#1Sh4d0w3244Posted 11/13/2011 1:53:48 PM

I don't mean go unconscious, I mean like in FO3 where they did have a ton of health, but they'd die forever once they ran out. I want a follower, but the only thing holding me back is that. 

#2agentpheonixPosted 11/13/2011 1:55:03 PM
If an enemy deals killing damage to a companion, they will be KO'd and will return to battle after the fight is over or if you heal them.

However, if YOU deal the killing blow (either by a missed attack or an AoE spell), they are dead FOREVER.
---
GT: Red Undead Now Playing: Demon's Souls, Batman: Arkham City
http://m-102.minus.com/ipPaN0GZBXpqY.gif
#3FjoeriPosted 11/13/2011 2:12:51 PM
The above is not entirely correct because it only counts towards mission based companions. The people you can acquire as personal followers, they can die permanently if they are killed by either you, or an enemy. I just lost Feadal the elf to a dragon, so I loaded a previous save.
---
PSN : Fjoeri
Xbox Live : Fjoeri
#4carlsjosPosted 11/13/2011 2:15:56 PM
Can Lydia die permanently? Cause she's been knocked out several times but ALWAYS comes back.
#5FjoeriPosted 11/13/2011 2:19:25 PM
She can die. Hasn't died on me yet, but a friend of mine said she died during one of his raids on a tomb.
---
PSN : Fjoeri
Xbox Live : Fjoeri
#6Ultimar235Posted 11/13/2011 2:19:48 PM
My Lydia died in battle. Got swiped by my mace by accident in heat of battle on a boss i'd tried to kill 20 times already and failed but this one time I succeeded. Decided to loot her and carry on :( RIP
---
extended warranty? how could i lose!?-homer Simpson
#7Linkhunter41109Posted 11/13/2011 2:21:55 PM
Mister FANTASTIC posted...
The above is not entirely correct because it only counts towards mission based companions. The people you can acquire as personal followers, they can die permanently if they are killed by either you, or an enemy. I just lost Feadal the elf to a dragon, so I loaded a previous save.

No, sorry but you must have hit him in someway, as he cannot die without you dealing the finishing blow.
---
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said... 'I drank what?'"
Chris Knight, Real Genius
#8ArjuntaPosted 11/13/2011 2:23:11 PM
According to the game guide Companions can never die to other NPCs. They will go unconscious. However, if you deal the killing blow they WILL die.
---
The King of Mediocrity
#9syndrohmPosted 11/13/2011 2:23:50 PM
Linkhunter41109 posted...
Mister FANTASTIC posted...

No, sorry but you must have hit him in someway, as he cannot die without you dealing the finishing blow.

This^

You killed Feadal you fiend!!!!
#10Python_2k9Posted 11/13/2011 2:26:51 PM
I accidentally killed Lydia.

=/
---
Patrolling through GameFaqs almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.