Do I have to use perks on the whole smithing tree to get best weapons/armor?

#1jblts1Posted 11/15/2011 11:36:43 AM
Couple questions.

First off, I may have this wrong but is the dragon armor and dual daedric swords the best armor/weapon for one handed/light armor?

Can you find the dragon armor or daedric swords in Skyrim or do they have to be smithed? I don't want to waste perks only to find the armor/weapons in a treasure chest.

Can you make legendary weapons/armor without having the smithing perks?

And finally, do I need to fill in the entire smithing perk tree to get both dragon and daedric?
#2jblts1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 11:40:37 AM
bump
#3hauntbotPosted 11/15/2011 11:42:18 AM
1: daedric armor is actually better than dragon armor for heavy armor. the dragonscale is the best light armor, though. getting the materials to craft daedric gear is much more time consuming though, while its incredibly easy to smith a full suit of dragon armor as soon as you get the perk.

2: you can find any piece of armor at high levels, but its still rare and unreliable.

much more importantly though, the smithing perks greatly improve how much stronger a piece of gear gets when you upgrade it. with good smithing enchantment gear, this literally means hundreds of points of difference in armor & damage.
---
NV 4 LYFE!!!1111(not changing dis sig until fo4 comes out.... or my a.d.d. distracts me & i sig something stupid)
#4agentpheonixPosted 11/15/2011 11:43:29 AM
jblts1 posted...
Couple questions.

First off, I may have this wrong but is the dragon armor and dual daedric swords the best armor/weapon for one handed/light armor?

Can you find the dragon armor or daedric swords in Skyrim or do they have to be smithed? I don't want to waste perks only to find the armor/weapons in a treasure chest.

Can you make legendary weapons/armor without having the smithing perks?

And finally, do I need to fill in the entire smithing perk tree to get both dragon and daedric?

1. Yes, Dragon Armor and Daedric weapons are the best non-unique equipment.

2. You can find them, but they are rare, and don't show up until very late game. It's much easier to smith them, and you could have dragon armor by level 20 if you focus on smithing,

3. You can upgrade items quite a bit without smithing perks as long as you have a high smith skill, but the perks double those effects.
---
GT: Red Undead Now (and forever) Playing: SKYRIM
http://m-102.minus.com/ipPaN0GZBXpqY.gif
#5hauntbotPosted 11/15/2011 11:43:45 AM
oh, and you can get dragon armor without going up the elven/glass side. not really worth it though, tbh.
---
NV 4 LYFE!!!1111(not changing dis sig until fo4 comes out.... or my a.d.d. distracts me & i sig something stupid)
#6agentpheonixPosted 11/15/2011 11:45:46 AM
IMO, smithing and enchanting are the two best skills to invest in. Gives you the best equipment possible, and also lets you do so very early game.

I initially started my character with intentions to ignore smithing, but as soon as I tried it I knew I had to max it.
---
GT: Red Undead Now (and forever) Playing: SKYRIM
http://m-102.minus.com/ipPaN0GZBXpqY.gif
#7blightedpersonaPosted 11/15/2011 11:47:23 AM
completely disregard the word legendary. legendary is just the top tier for how much more effective your tempered weapons/armors can get, but there's no limit to just how legendary it can be

my legendary glass dagger could do 60 damage while your legendary glass dagger only does 40 for example

so yes you could make legendary gear without the perks, but it still wont be as good

i recommend just getting the perks

on my other character who i played for 60 hours and got to level 65, i only ever came across 1 piece of daedric. and for dragon stuff, you have to make that yourself, it doesnt ever appear in the game world.
#8csukarPosted 11/15/2011 11:48:03 AM
agentpheonix posted...
IMO, smithing and enchanting are the two best skills to invest in. Gives you the best equipment possible, and also lets you do so very early game.

I initially started my character with intentions to ignore smithing, but as soon as I tried it I knew I had to max it.

same here and i regret it now, i've maxed smithing but leveling up late game takes the ****
#9udomaPosted 11/15/2011 11:48:59 AM
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: The perks in smithing not only allow you to craft armor of a said type, they also allow you to improve armor/weapons of that type twice as much. Combine this with a full set of Fortify Smithing gear (+100%) and you can get some seriously sick equipment. I've got my smithing suit (+25% Smithing on Chest, Hands, Amulet, and Ring) to make my gear with, and then a suit with as much fortify 1h as I can get (40% extra 1h damage on each piece), with 2 enchantments on each weapon, and 1 power attack will wipe out an Elder Dragon on Adept Difficulty.

In summation - max out your smithing and enchanting. In addition to what's listed above, it's also by far the best source of money in the game.
---
XBL GT: Celoth
Black FC - 4126 4592 4017
#10joyce_181502Posted 11/15/2011 11:59:49 AM
Can you re-upgrade your stuff?

Like can I make "Leather Armor" then upgrade it to "Leather Armor (Fine)" then upgrade it again to "Leather Armor (Rare?)" ... all the way to "Leather Armor (Legendary)"?

Or can you only upgrade 1 time ... so you want to make sure your Smithing skill is as high as possible when you do so?