Light Armor vs Clothing? (For a mage)

#1Crazyplayer042Posted 11/20/2011 7:36:16 PM
I'm going with an archer that uses destruction and conjuration to help where Archery fails. While I'd be more effective if I just went archery, Runes and Reanimate Dead make the game pretty fun.

I'm having trouble, though, deciding between light armor or mage clothes. I'm tempted to use mage clothes because of the Mage Armor perk (makes magic armor spells twice as strong if not wearing armor), but I'm not sure if it'd be better in the long run to just use light armor.

Mainly ask because if I should use light armor, I'll be taking smithing and enchanting. Though I also heard that I should take the heavy smithing for daedric weapons.
---
Gamertag: Paradox042. Feel free to invite me to your games.
#2infinitexxPosted 11/20/2011 7:38:00 PM
Armor is the way to go. Only go robes and Mage Armor if that fulfills some role-playing need of yours.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#3GUNZGA10REPosted 11/20/2011 7:48:13 PM
Crazyplayer042 posted...
I'm going with an archer that uses destruction and conjuration to help where Archery fails. While I'd be more effective if I just went archery, Runes and Reanimate Dead make the game pretty fun.

I'm having trouble, though, deciding between light armor or mage clothes. I'm tempted to use mage clothes because of the Mage Armor perk (makes magic armor spells twice as strong if not wearing armor), but I'm not sure if it'd be better in the long run to just use light armor.

Mainly ask because if I should use light armor, I'll be taking smithing and enchanting. Though I also heard that I should take the heavy smithing for daedric weapons.

Light armor over robes is far and away the better choice in the endgame for a plethora of reasons.

Mage Armor can't get you to the 80% reduction at the armor cap. Making dragon scale armor and improving it to legendary quality while wearing enchanted gear that gives +smithing% can.

Alteration defense buffs can be dispelled and require mana to use, light armor is always there and never needs to be reapplied.

The light armor tree has nifty perks like +stamina regen and 10% attack dodge chance. Alteration tree's only real goodie is Mage Armor.

Most robes come with a hood, which means you lose an enchantment slot for the head, which means you can't get free spells (with 100 enchanting and grand soul gems, you can enchant a ring, necklace, chestplate, and helmet for -25% casting cost to your two favorite schools, and when worn together, all spells from those two schools become free to cast).

If you are going to have a heavy emphasis on archery, then yes, your path through the smithing tree to dragon armor should use the heavy armor route so you can craft and improve daedric bows. Remember that no matter how you get to the dragon armor perk you can still craft both light and heavy dragon armors once you get there.
#4Crazyplayer042(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2011 7:53:07 PM
I'm guessing then that daedric can't be found, just made. Oh well. Its just alot of perks to use on smithing when I'm already spread pretty thin.
---
Gamertag: Paradox042. Feel free to invite me to your games.
#5characterz3roPosted 11/20/2011 8:18:23 PM
robes offer a different style of gameplay, and force you to use magic and agility than lots of HP and high damage weapons. I don't need potions as a mage at all as I can quickly cast heal which gives me full health and stamina in about 2 seconds. Im also stealth based, one handed, archer, so I can handle practically any enemy from the shadows, and when I have to get tough, out comes the hadoukens to polish off the stragglers. You also have to be agile and move around alot in combat since getting hit forces you to use magic on heals and not attacks as well as repositioning. Robes give you more magic, faster mana regen, and reduces casting costs of all types of spells. It's hard to spread that out over armor pieces. I have 250 health 500 mana 100 stamina and not having too much difficulty. you can also use conjuration spells to get swords and axes, which when used, raise your 1 handed class as well as conjuration.