Most efficient way to train alchemy, smithing and enchanting?

#1th3warr1orPosted 11/21/2011 12:20:19 PM
Need tips on what to make. So far my only enchantment training is from whatever random drops I get--I enchant before selling.

Alchemy, is making poisons since that's the most profitable potion I can make, and my potions are still too weak to be of any use (no perks).

As for smithing, I buy iron ores and make iron armor, but they only have enough supplies for like 4 sets of armor.
---
I am Thor Odinson of the Vikings, giant. I am not the god of reason and understanding. I am the god of Thunder and Lightning!
#2darkentityPosted 11/21/2011 12:23:58 PM
th3warr1or posted...
Need tips on what to make. So far my only enchantment training is from whatever random drops I get--I enchant before selling.

Alchemy, is making poisons since that's the most profitable potion I can make, and my potions are still too weak to be of any use (no perks).

As for smithing, I buy iron ores and make iron armor, but they only have enough supplies for like 4 sets of armor.

I suggest personally, spend money on the alchemy trainer and steal it back. It's a pain to raise.

For smithing, make iron daggers. That's the best deal. (1 iron ignot + 1 leather strip)

then enchant those daggers and sell them for profit. Took me a while to get a nice stash of soul gems but It's worked out well. You should also have a weapon that has the soul trap enchant so when you are out adventuring, you are filling gems for more enchants.
---
once something becomes semi-popular the more "hardcore" fans have to find reason to show they are bigger fans than the average person.
#3The_87_ReaperPosted 11/21/2011 12:25:52 PM
When I'm alchemying, I just save up loads and loads of ingredients at my house. And when I have a crap load, usually after about 3 or 4 quests I just use everything up making potions and poisons.

The more you use the ingredients, you may find other attributes, which would your potion to purposes. I can now make a potion that regenerates magic 33% faster for 300secs and gives me a 20% weakness to magic for 20secs. Sells for about a 100g.
---
The future does not exist, because by the the time you're there it's already the present.
Dr. Richard Epear - May 1st 2009
#4BobbySpokanePosted 11/21/2011 12:25:52 PM
darkentity posted...

^This.

It doesn't matter what you make, it gives you the same amount of experience in smithing. The iron daggers are cheap to make, and gets your smithing up pretty fast.
---
http://imgon.net/di-KK8S.gif
#5Duke AriochPosted 11/21/2011 12:32:31 PM
BobbySpokane posted...
darkentity posted...

^This.

It doesn't matter what you make, it gives you the same amount of experience in smithing. The iron daggers are cheap to make, and gets your smithing up pretty fast.

In whiterun you have 3 smiths to buy from so its the best spot to do this, unless your really going to mine all that iron you need...

I did notice there is alot more leather left over though so anything left over after i do iron daggers I make hide bracers with (2 strips, 1 leather)

So daggers and bracers IMO. With all the money you make from selling enchanted ones, buy more soul gems and then ingrediants. It should cost very little if anything to make a complete round in whiterun of all merchants that supply one of the three skills.
---
"Blood and souls for my Lord Arioch!" - Elric of Melnibone
#6th3warr1or(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2011 12:33:28 PM
darkentity posted...
then enchant those daggers and sell them for profit. Took me a while to get a nice stash of soul gems but It's worked out well. You should also have a weapon that has the soul trap enchant so when you are out adventuring, you are filling gems for more enchants.

What kind of soul gems do I use to enchant them?
---
I am Thor Odinson of the Vikings, giant. I am not the god of reason and understanding. I am the god of Thunder and Lightning!
#7fcrickPosted 11/21/2011 12:42:40 PM
Mostly, you just need to go through all the cities with the appropriate shops in a rotation, buying materials.

Blacksmithing:
Only a small amount of money is required to buy enough iron ingots and leather to make enough daggers to reach 100.

Enchanting:
Buy petty soul gems, filled or empty, and enchant stuff - enchant your daggers to sell those to smithies, or alternatively if you make jewelry, you can enchant that and sell it back to the guys you can buy gems from. Soul gems are sold by general stores, but the best source is the wizards many jarls keep in their castles, and the wizards at the academy, obviously. If you have extra money, buy the empty or filled grand gems, and use these for armor enchants later.

Alchemy:
Go around to all the alchemists, which are in almost every town and settlement, and buy out all their ingredients, over and over. Mix giant's toe and wheat for an early profit maker. As you raise enchanting, make better sets of alchemy gear - you can enchant head, gloves, ring, necklace I think - this will make your potions sell for more. To level, just make lots and lots of potions - usually, the more valuable ones give more experience.

Endgame:
Make yourself a +29% set for alchemy. You need +enchanting potions to get there, and you'll need to make the best +alchemy set you can, then make a +enchanting potion wearing that set, then reenchant another +alchemy, and repeat until you have +29 gear.

Then, make yourself a similar +smithing set, and make yourself +smithing potions. Smith and improve the gear you want while drinking the potions, and then, enchant it all with +enchanting potions, and you'll have yourself some nice OP stuff.
#8TogLightningPosted 11/21/2011 12:42:49 PM
I reached Alchemy level 100 by fast traveling to each major city, buying up all their ingredients, and making every potion I can. Once you're ~70+ you start to make money on your potions.

Made it to 100 smithing by making iron daggers. Easier than Alchemy.

Enchanting is at 85 currently, and i've pretty much gotten this one dialed in. Buy up every soul gem you come across, filled or unfilled. Enchant low level equipment(iron daggers, bracers, etc).

To fill my soul gems, I made a Daedric bow with 1 second soultrap. Amazing how fast you can fill them. Last night I filled 4 souls in 4 seconds. Four Falmer kills.

*Leveling enchanting comes easier once you have unlimited funds(i.e. level Alchemy to 100 first)*
#9Estabon1Posted 11/21/2011 12:43:03 PM
I've built up a routine of sorts for this. I'll make iron daggers, then upgrade them immediately. With a fresh stock of improved iron daggers, I'll take them to an enchanting table and throw something on each one using a petty or lesser soul gem. Finish off with selling your stash of 20 lunar iron daggers (superior) for about 50-100 gold a pop, it works wonderfully.

As for alchemy, although training to increase is easy, you'll be missing out on a lot of ingredient effects that way. I stock pile large quantities of ingredients at the house, and once I have a good amount go through and eat any items with an unknown first ingredient. With that taken care of, I use my remaining ingredients to make any potions I can, with plenty of experimentation. Pull two ingredients from one effect and another random ingredient and just keep mixing until you find something good. Even though my nightshade/death bell posions are still only worth 5 gold, I'm made a lot of poisons in the ~400 gold range. Serious advice for money? I believe death bell, salt piles and bone meal make a potent high value poison, iirc. All very common ingredients too.

Honestly, alchemy used to be my main money maker in Morrowind and Oblivion, but with the addition of smithing I'm finding a smithing/enchanting combo to work much better.
---
XBL GT: Estabon89
From a problematic PC to a whiney girlfriend, nothing beats a foot full of fury.- Bubs
#10quillquake2001Posted 11/21/2011 12:44:09 PM
For enchanting, I don't think that it matters which kind of gems you use. I use petty because they are the cheapest. Go out and murder a few skeevers, foxes, deer, etc. Fill 'em up and then make crappy enchanted iron daggers (absorb health is the most valuable enchant I know of, so use that to get some of your money back).
---
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix13TH
"The day is mine!"