Cant absorb dragon souls??

#1anlittlePosted 11/22/2011 2:59:03 PM
Ok So I'm currently level 40. I've done the main quest up to going to High Hrothgar. Killed tons of dragons and absorbed their souls. I have 16 words of power, 11 of which are unlocked. I have 9 dragon souls stored.

I have fought 3 dragons that after I kill them, won't let me absorb their souls. They die, but to don't go up in flames and turn skeletal. Just a dead dragon on the ground. Anyone else have this??
---
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness. ~Aristotle
#2lucidsun22Posted 11/22/2011 3:06:15 PM(edited)
yeah, I just ran across this last night. Level 37, I haven't even met the grey beards yet and I killed a blood dragon by the atronach stone. It dropped without allowing me to absorb its soul. Reloaded and tried again 2 more times with the same result.

later on I killed an elder Dragon on a Dragon lair and I Absorbed it soul as normal.
#3anlittle(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2011 3:08:59 PM
Yep same thing with me. Tried reloading a few times and got the same result.

I fought two different dragons in a row with no souls absorbed. First a Blood Dragon, then an Elder Dragon. Then I fought another elder and absorbed its soul. Now I just fought another Blood dragon and no soul absorbed. Gah it's so frustrating!!
---
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness. ~Aristotle
#4Bruce656Posted 11/22/2011 11:05:21 PM
lucidsun22 posted...
yeah, I just ran across this last night. Level 37, I haven't even met the grey beards yet and I killed a blood dragon by the atronach stone. It dropped without allowing me to absorb its soul. Reloaded and tried again 2 more times with the same result.

Same exact thing just happened to me, same spot. I just got the quest to kill the dragon for the bounty set by Jorleif, ran up the peak where the dragon den is, then ran back towards town, because I knew there was a giant rumbling around. The dragon attacked the giant, and then the bear that I charmed started attacking the dragon. I got the killing shot on the dragon, then proceeded to kill the giant followed by the bear.

When I approached the dragon, nothing. I looted the corpse, nothing. Saved and loaded, nothing.

So I loaded a previous save, went up the peak again, and this time fought the dragon alone. I killed it, and got the same result. No soul :0(
#5FrozenHELL78Posted 11/22/2011 11:06:49 PM
maybe you can only store so many dragon souls before unlocking different words?
---
Gamertag - Mosaic78
#6StarmanDeluxPosted 11/22/2011 11:07:52 PM
Someone guessed at this previously and it really seems to be true in my experience.

Occasionally the game will "respawn" a dragon you already killed. For instance, you kill the dragon at a dragon point on the map. Later, he's back roosting on the stone. You kill him again but can't absorb his soul because it's really the *same* dragon you already killed and the game has tracked that you already got his soul.

Not sure if this is how it works, but it makes sense to me.
#7K_MAC445Posted 11/22/2011 11:10:57 PM
i believe that since the dragons respawn if you are still haven't used (still have it stored) its soul and you kill that same dragon again the soul cant absorb till you use its original soul.