Explain the Forsworn to me... (lore questions, big spoilers)

#21Hunter_GammaPosted 11/24/2011 5:47:15 PM
I overheard one Forsworn standing over a dead Nord and grinding stone say something like "Well at least your Nord skull will be useful for a good axe, if nothing else!"

So even if that doesn't mean they sacrifice humans, the Nord wasn't a soldier, and making weapons out of your enemies body parts is quite, well, barbaric.
---
"That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far."
#22LatronisPosted 11/24/2011 6:00:30 PM
there's a giant on an altar in one of the camps
---
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/The_Original_Latronis/33865d18.jpg
#23Kai_LagunaPosted 11/24/2011 6:05:56 PM
The brierheart ritual could be considered human sacrifies. Since the hagravens have to kill and remove a persons hearts to implant the brierheart. Can find a few alters with dead humanoids on em. There is even one where 2-3 hagravens are performing the ritual.
#24ShinChuck(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2011 7:34:48 PM
Caught a loading screen that mentioned that the Nords had captured Markarth from the natives thousands of years ago... not sure if those are the same natives as the Forsworn, or what, missed a screenshot of it.>_<

Kai_Laguna posted...
The brierheart ritual could be considered human sacrifies. Since the hagravens have to kill and remove a persons hearts to implant the brierheart. Can find a few alters with dead humanoids on em. There is even one where 2-3 hagravens are performing the ritual.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that! I'm not entirely sure what all the Briarheart ritual entails and so forth.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#25ShinChuck(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2011 8:25:25 PM
Shortly after my last post, came across "The 'Madmen' of the Reach: A Cultural Treatise on the Forsworn" by an Imperial scholar. Essentially, through interviews with Forsworn, they believe the Nords came in and took "their lands, their gods and their culture" from them, and that the Forsworn, the real Reachmen, had refused to give up those old practices. Currently, they feel as if they've been outcast in their own lands.

So, as far as I can tell, the Forsworn and Nords are somewhat analogous to the Aztecs and Spanish: while the Aztecs were not angels in terms of some of their cultural practices, the specific treatment by the Spanish was unacceptable, and amounted to little more then subjugation on the Aztec's down land.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#26JackSwiftShotPosted 11/24/2011 8:43:50 PM(edited)
Now, maybe I'm over-speculating but this sounds like a very specific situation my father keeps blathering about at times (since he thinks we have a heritage to these people)

Essentially, there was a nation/people (not exactly sure) called Bas (not sure of the actual name) that lived around the border of France and Spain. Essentially, both nations took all of their land and the original owners enjoy a situation similar to the forsaken. I even remember him showing me a newspaper where a terrorist attack was made by the group and another mentioning how the language and culture is being lost.

Although I now wish I paid more attention, it seems nearly identical to the forsworn situation considering how Bretons are generally equated to the French.
---
On my unofficial ES fan scale, I'm a 6.