Pinpointed the menu lag issue

#1Biw999Posted 11/24/2011 8:16:22 PM(edited)
I've been experiencing menu lag since I got this game and have been racking my brain trying to figure out the cause of it. I've searched and searched and found someone claiming that after they started using the new d-pad xbox controller, their issues went away completely.

Finding this intriguing, I decided to conduct an experiment of my own to test this.

I started fooling around with the favorites menu trying to recreate the issue as I could never really pinpoint what exactly happens before the lag occurs because it always happened in the heat of battle it seemed.

Which led me to playing with the analog stick while simultaneously opening the favorites menu. Bingo. I've been able to recreate this lag issue now.

The problem does seem to lie with the controller. My controller is only a few months old(got it with my slim console) but, after some use there is a little "give" in the sticks. For example, I'm able to move the left analog stick a few mm in any direction without moving my character in Skyrim. For easier explanation, I'll refer to this as the analog sticks "dead zone".

This seems to be where the issue lies. Whenever I opened my menus up with the left analog in the dead zone, the menu would give me this 5-10 seconds of lag before I could select anything again. Now whenever I left the analog stick in its neutral position and opened the menu, there was no lag.

Again, I've been able to recreate this now every time but, I don't know what the real solution is at this point. Sure you could go buy a new controller but, who's to say the issue doesn't resurface once the new controller is broken in and the dead zone comes back.

Anyways, just thought I'd give all the people like myself a heads up so we can try to get this issue resolved. This definitely needs to be patch, as it's not game breaking but, it surely sours the experience of a heated battle.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else can recreate this given the information above. I'll be emailing Bethesda about this immediately after posting this. Thanks guys.
---
XBL: Biw89
PSN: DollarBill89
#2IconicSaerosPosted 11/24/2011 8:24:47 PM
Are you sure it isn't because the default save option that causes a 10-15 second delay while it auto-saves every 15 minutes or so when you enter the Magic - Items - Map - Skills screen?
#3Biw999(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2011 8:27:33 PM(edited)
Forgot to mention I've turned that off. Didn't help the issue.
---
#4Biw999(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2011 8:41:57 PM
Fast board moves fast.
---
#5paysteyPosted 11/25/2011 4:04:07 PM
Hi,

This has been plaguing me through all my skyrim play too. I've just tried it and can also re-create this issue exactly. Mine is a fairly old (2-3 years) white controller with a large dead zone and notoriety with me and my brother for moving the left analog slightly to the left of it's own accord. This is definetly the issue for me.

I would assume that simply changing the dead zone setting for the controller spec somewhere in skyrim would fix this. Some games and gamepad setup tools allow you to tweak the percentage of movement required to actually trigger a movement (Deadzone). making this larger would surely solve the issue.

I'm going to have a play with some controller emulation software I use for some older games that can't accept the direct input (Ocarina of Time with a 360 controller ;-) ) and see if i can tweak it.
#6Biw999(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2011 6:20:22 PM

Hi,

This has been plaguing me through all my skyrim play too. I've just tried it and can also re-create this issue exactly. Mine is a fairly old (2-3 years) white controller with a large dead zone and notoriety with me and my brother for moving the left analog slightly to the left of it's own accord. This is definetly the issue for me.

I would assume that simply changing the dead zone setting for the controller spec somewhere in skyrim would fix this. Some games and gamepad setup tools allow you to tweak the percentage of movement required to actually trigger a movement (Deadzone). making this larger would surely solve the issue.

I'm going to have a play with some controller emulation software I use for some older games that can't accept the direct input (Ocarina of Time with a 360 controller ;-) ) and see if i can tweak it.

Thanks for testing this for me. Glad to hear you were able to recreate this as well. I did email Bethsoft yesterday about this so we'll see if I get I reply from them next week sometime.
---