Light Armor vs. Heavy Armor?

#1LoadedcoderPosted 11/25/2011 11:50:19 PM
What's the advantages of choosing one over the other? I'm wondering if going light armor would inhibit my ability to tank down the road, thanks.
#2chrono7777777Posted 11/26/2011 12:01:24 AM
Heavy armor is usually stronger, but heavier (duh). In addition to letting you carry more stuff, the lighter your clothing, the more effective your sneak / assassination / pickpocketing etc. Both light and heavy armor skill trees have nullify worn armor weight perks (pretty high up there for heavy armor, you have to commit to that skill tree if thatís what you want), which of course makes heavy armor immediately superior EXCEPT that I donít think it negates the penalty to sneak / steal / assassinate.

Thereís also aesthetics / roleplaying. If thatís your thing.
#3QuadForce878Posted 11/26/2011 1:12:39 AM
Do you plan on taking Smithing or not? Unlike Oblivion, Skyrim states your Armor Points instead of your damage absorption. The thing is, it's still using the Oblivion system where you can only ignore a max of 80% damage, which equates to 567 armor points. Putting any points other than 1 in Juggernaut or Agile Defender would be a waste then.

Also Heavy Armor has 8 perks to unlock compared to Light Armor which only has 6. Also some perks in Heavy Armor like Cushioned and Fists of Steel seems like a waste just to get Conditioning. Light Armor also has Wind Walker giving you 50% Stamina Regen with all light armor.

I'm wearing Legendary Dragon Scale Armor with a 6 perks in Light Armor with a Armor Rating over 1000 (remember 80% damage reduction caps at 567 armor points).
#4chrono7777777Posted 11/26/2011 1:14:59 AM
Ugh, why donít they tell us this sort of thing in-game? It just punishes people who donít use second- or third-party info sources for the mechanics.

Iím all for Skyrimís streamlined UI, but there should still be the OPTION of learning the nitty-gritty details. Else you are just being baited into spending perks in meaningless, wasteful ways.
#5kingoftheswordPosted 11/26/2011 1:24:20 AM
I agree, I have no idea why they didnt just put a cap on the armor bonus. It really comes down to which ever you like more, if you like the looks of the heavy or light armor. Later on they will both do the same thing pretty much. With a set of muffled heavy boots you could sneak as well as light armor. I personally like the looks of heavy armor more
---
Kill one zombie and none of the others notice. Why not kill more and see what happens?
#6Darth StalinPosted 11/26/2011 1:30:35 AM
I just wish blades armor was light armor. That was my fave design.
---
Darth Stalin- Bow down before the man of steel !!!!
Gamertag- Cruxis Mithos
#7outlawstar289Posted 11/26/2011 1:30:42 AM
QuadForce878 posted...
Do you plan on taking Smithing or not? Unlike Oblivion, Skyrim states your Armor Points instead of your damage absorption. The thing is, it's still using the Oblivion system where you can only ignore a max of 80% damage, which equates to 567 armor points. Putting any points other than 1 in Juggernaut or Agile Defender would be a waste then.

Ugh, wish I knew that before committing to Heavy Armor. Good thing I have all these dragon scales laying around I guess
---
Army National Guard 2008-Present
GT: Commando GMC
#8HalfBakedGnomePosted 11/26/2011 7:08:52 PM
QuadForce878 posted...

I'm wearing Legendary Dragon Scale Armor with a 6 perks in Light Armor with a Armor Rating over 1000 (remember 80% damage reduction caps at 567 armor points).

I have a quick question if you don't mind, as a light armor user is still more beneficial to go up the heavy armor side of the smithing skill tree? I just thought getting the best weapons might be a better idea and I would still get legendary dragon scale armor wouldn't I?
---
I don't follow politicians or religions that encourage separation or fear
#9TerantatekPosted 11/26/2011 7:21:39 PM
HalfBakedGnome posted...
QuadForce878 posted...

I have a quick question if you don't mind, as a light armor user is still more beneficial to go up the heavy armor side of the smithing skill tree? I just thought getting the best weapons might be a better idea and I would still get legendary dragon scale armor wouldn't I?

Yes, skip left side actually. It doesn't go around full circle and you want daedric weapons without wasting a lot of perks.
---
"Dude, I can't feel my legs. Are they there?"
Love, Peace, 4:20-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#10HalfBakedGnomePosted 11/27/2011 7:23:09 PM
Terantatek posted...
HalfBakedGnome posted...
QuadForce878 posted...

Yes, skip left side actually. It doesn't go around full circle and you want daedric weapons without wasting a lot of perks.

Great, thanks a lot for the info now i can finally start taking some smithing perks.
---
Is it legal yet?