is it ok to be a 100% mage?

#1MrSleepsPosted 11/27/2011 1:21:20 AM
do you think it is a good idea,? about to start my character and im thinking about doing a pure mage, in obvlision i did a mele character and didn't mess with magic really? would it be really hard in this game? easy? what are your 2 cents,

thanks for helping a brother out
#2clone11Posted 11/27/2011 1:22:17 AM

Actually, it's immoral to be a pure mage. How dare you consider it? Do you want to go to Hell?!

#3OgoginPosted 11/27/2011 1:36:45 AM
Pure builds in Skyrim doesn't pay very much, except if you abuse the smithing + enchanting exploit. Solution that mages can't abuse much in the 1st place.

Going with a mage build as long as you balance where spend the perks is doable, just remember a mage is not supposed to sneak like an assassin or tank like a knight.

By end-game, mages are a little harder to use then the other builds because they can't abuse godlike crafts, but if you like the play-style feel free to go for it. The challenge is actually very fun.
---
sorry for bad English, it isn't my first language >.<
#4zoharemulatorPosted 11/27/2011 1:40:49 AM
I started as a mage, and ended up as a thief. The spells are cool and all but switching between spells is SUCH a pain. I'd rather sneak around and take out enemies one by one with 30x sneak attack damage. For dragons and bosses, I still rely on conjuration (2x Daedric Lords ftw) and destruction magic though.
#5strum4Posted 11/27/2011 1:54:50 AM
A pure mage is impossible unless you bring down the difficulty to the baby version.

the game doesn't have a good way to switch between spells easily. The D-Pad thing is too slow when you are getting pounded on by 2 or more mobs.

If you get a pet that tanks really well, you can last a tad bit longer. But you are going to end up wearing armor sooner or later and using either skills from other classes.
#6vic8379Posted 11/27/2011 2:00:19 AM
ITT: People who exploit the game to make it so easy a five year old could beat it, only to play a non exploitable character and get their ass handed to them.

I'm 25 hours in with my pure Mage, and yes it's a completely viable build. I went full destruction, with illusion, and alteration as my side majors. Eventually all will be maxed, destruction first though.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#7ajwhitlaPosted 11/27/2011 2:06:53 AM
I'm going to do a very detailed outline on how to play a Mage in Skyrim.

Step One: Get the perk "Impact".

Congrats, you have just created a character that can absolutely destroy everything in its path without fear of ever actually getting hit. If you're feeling up to it, get some enchanted gear to make Destruction spells cost nothing.
#8saintgabriel11Posted 11/27/2011 2:07:00 AM
I'm in all mage gear, and yeah, I'm pretty squishy, thus I have to avoid getting hit a lot. However weilding powerful spells is a ton of fun.

I played a sneak type character in Oblivion, so I wanted to avoid that this time around.

I still carry around a light sheild and 1h weapon in case I run out of mana and such, specializing in Destruction and Conjuration. Just perked my Enchanting tree.

Level 28ish, Lydia is still alive. Planning on enchanting the best armor I can find for her, OR...level my smithing to get her powerful armor and then enchant that..just have to spend the perks in enchanting and smithing, most other perks are in conjuration and destruction right now. 1 perk in 1h, 1 perk in lockpick (gonna use 3 there for deep pockets perk probably...)
#9Stra7agosPosted 11/27/2011 2:08:08 AM
vic8379 posted...
ITT: People who exploit the game to make it so easy a five year old could beat it, only to play a non exploitable character and get their ass handed to them.

I'm 25 hours in with my pure Mage, and yes it's a completely viable build. I went full destruction, with illusion, and alteration as my side majors. Eventually all will be maxed, destruction first though.

Agreed.

Im 105 hours in on a level 57 pure mage playing on Master and i am having no difficulty with the game thus far.

I find it laughable how all these topics bashing magic are using the same argument over and over.

If you could fortify magic damage then it would be nothing but "Melee and Archery Sucks" topics.
---
Dragon Sealer of Legend /MH3:Straga (HR 650+) Caska (HR 100+)
GEB:Caska "Dark Blade" -Assault Lieut.- Warrior/Slasher/Snatcher
#10RequimortisPosted 11/27/2011 2:10:41 AM
I play a pure mage and I do relatively fine.

Currently working on getting a full daedric set to continue the tradition I started back in Morrowind.