*The Basket Trick* I LOVE THIS! *Thieves Guild Spoilers Maybe*

#1Z350ZDRAGONPosted 12/2/2011 12:37:17 AM
You can read all this if you want. I would have liked to do a video about it showing this in action but I do not have a capture card. It is an interesting read though.

First off I want to just say that I am only doing a mission for the Thieves Guild. It is the mission where I am working for Vex doing a "sweep" job. She sends me to a house where I have to steal 3 valuable items. Only problem is I am a warrior, therefore my sneak skill is horrible (working on it). It is at the moment 22. I am still level 1 (don't ask,am testing something out). Anyways, I went to the "House of Mjoll" in Riften. I could not pick the lock even while crouched because the guard at the gate entrance gave me a bounty of 5 gold.

Well I decided to look for a back entrance, I picked the gate on the right side of the house, went in the back, found nothing (no door,no secret passage). I saw a balcony (while in the back of the house) so I figured there was a door upstairs. Wrong again. Yet I did find a Basket sitting on a barrel (which is above the front door at the left of the balcony). Its one of the big baskets. Well I remember the trick where you put a big item (like a basket) over someones head to make it easier for you to steal things. In this case, I had to be able to pick the lock (even during the day). I went into my inventory, dropped the basket, and flipped it upside down. I then took it and carefully placed it on the guards head (because he just stands there). I then was able to pick the lock (while crouched in thieves guild armor) and gain access to the inside where I then took the 3 valuables for the mission.

Basically in my conclusion, the basket trick is not only for stealing, but to allow you to do things if people are looking. It only works if they don't bend over,lean forward, do something that makes the basket fall or slip off their head. I will now be keeping this basket for certain occasions like this. I could keep more to cover more heads of course.

Let me know if anyone of you will be keeping a basket in your inventory in case a problem like this arises. This is actually helpful when needed for the most part.
---
_______(=====()_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-,
I_iiiii__/'''''''''[{]''''''''{_)_)_)_)_)======. WARNING: I'm 26,intelligent,& open minded.
#2Z350ZDRAGON(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2011 12:46:13 AM
bump for fast board.
---
I_iiiii__/'''''''''[{]''''''''{_)_)_)_)_)======. WARNING: I'm 26,intelligent,& open minded.
#3GinxuPosted 12/2/2011 12:51:47 AM
Basket trick is an exploit in the game, some people wouldn't use it because of that.
#4Methadone16Posted 12/2/2011 12:54:00 AM
um, no...

There is never a time where I haven't been able to do something in this game legit.
---
007-373-5963
#5Z350ZDRAGON(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2011 12:56:38 AM
Not actually an exploit. If you think about it, you couldn't see with a basket on your head either. Someone actually tried putting a basket on their heads and its a matter of testing or trial and error.

I believe bethesda adds little things in the game like this because this game is suppose to be fun, not serious, meaning they wouldn't have made the basket over someones head so obvious. The basket has a hole for a reason. You can put things in it, along with heads (upside down of course). This does NOT make it an exploit, its in their for humor, or decorating your house. In my case, it actually helped me do the quest, instead of going to train for sneak, and sneaking around enemies for hours to level it up, JUST to come back and do the mission.
---
#6Methadone16Posted 12/2/2011 12:58:39 AM(edited)
who cares

Play the game how ever you want. As long as you're having fun you're doing it right.
---
007-373-5963
#7GinxuPosted 12/2/2011 1:01:59 AM
Z350ZDRAGON posted...
Not actually an exploit. If you think about it, you couldn't see with a basket on your head either. Someone actually tried putting a basket on their heads and its a matter of testing or trial and error.

I believe bethesda adds little things in the game like this because this game is suppose to be fun, not serious, meaning they wouldn't have made the basket over someones head so obvious. The basket has a hole for a reason. You can put things in it, along with heads (upside down of course). This does NOT make it an exploit, its in their for humor, or decorating your house. In my case, it actually helped me do the quest, instead of going to train for sneak, and sneaking around enemies for hours to level it up, JUST to come back and do the mission.

Actually is an exploit. If you think about it, if someone put a basket on your head, then you would take it off. Its an oversight, while you're at it, you should put a basket on an npc's head and follow them around in sneak mode to get it to 100. Problem solved
#8Z350ZDRAGON(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2011 1:06:10 AM
If you actually raise your sneak to 100 legitally and not do any tricks to level it up, then its not an exploit. I am sure your sneak is 100 by sneaking around a corner for a while or using a trainer. In my case, I only have 1349 gold. I could train maybe 4 times? Then be broke. I am only level 1 and just started doing the thieves guild. I haven't even done a main quest yet (Bleak Falls Barrow). In this case the basket was necessary unless I wanted to spend hours, and gold just to pick a lock? Basket solved it. Sorry you don't like it or think its cheap, but it works.
---
#9GinxuPosted 12/2/2011 1:08:52 AM
Z350ZDRAGON posted...
If you actually raise your sneak to 100 legitally and not do any tricks to level it up, then its not an exploit. I am sure your sneak is 100 by sneaking around a corner for a while or using a trainer. In my case, I only have 1349 gold. I could train maybe 4 times? Then be broke. I am only level 1 and just started doing the thieves guild. I haven't even done a main quest yet (Bleak Falls Barrow). In this case the basket was necessary unless I wanted to spend hours, and gold just to pick a lock? Basket solved it. Sorry you don't like it or think its cheap, but it works.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work, I'm saying that it is an exploit. Play the game however you want, but know that it is an exploit. Just like attacking that guy at the front of the game. If you want to level up your sneak fast though, do sneak attacks, level very fast then
#10Z350ZDRAGON(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2011 1:17:53 AM
^hard to sneak attack when they hear me coming lol.
---