If a Housecarl dies, does another take their place, or is that it?

#11Spankmeister88Posted 12/2/2011 9:37:30 AM
Housecarls can only die if you hit them when they are down.

Once they take a knee, enemies will not attack them any longer.

So, basically they die only if you kill them.
#12robm1052Posted 12/2/2011 9:42:21 AM(edited)
Do enemies stop attacking them when they are downed? I've noticed Lydia drop a few times, but she's always got back up again eventually without me bothering to heal her. *EDIT* ^ this answers my question, thanks.

On a side note, there was this one hilarious moment where she tried to take on a bunch of giants and mammoths. I was just sneaking through, but she ran up to them swords a blazing, got smashed with a club and went flying into the air and disappeared. I thought she must be dead, and carried on roaming. I went through a cave solo, and as I exited she greeted me as if nothing had happened! I didn't ask where she'd been :P
---
You better bring more to the table before you expect the nerf stick to be broken out.
#13PhainopeplaPosted 12/2/2011 9:44:55 AM
I think the downed stance is just an indicator for players to help them out. Enemies seem to completely ignore followers as soon as they get downed.

But from what I can tell, everything else (traps, DoT damage, enough damage that 1-hit kills, your own attacks, etc.) can off them.
---
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc157/peekatchu/Other/phainopepla.jpg
#14Aqua69696Posted 12/2/2011 9:46:26 AM
Spankmeister88 posted...

No, Its like if you see groups of people attacking each other, they sometimes ignore people on the ground, but if nobody else is there to fight then... dead. So if you flee while your follower is downed, the enemy will turn on them I think. As long as your there they'll probably be fine unless mages are using megaspells on you and hit your ally with the splash damage.
---
Other crap fills the gap while I'm waiting to begin, The adventure of my life, in the land of Skyrim!
#15StonedRockPosted 12/2/2011 9:51:08 AM
Spankmeister88 posted...

Not true. If there are multiple enemies attacking it is very possible for an enemy to finish the follower off. One enemy brings the follower to his/her knees and another enemy is in the process of attacking so their attack hits a yielding follower and kills him/her.
---
We like the Ardy that rocks the Party!
#16UraRenge2005Posted 12/2/2011 9:51:37 AM
Spankmeister88 posted...

This is 99% true.

The reality is MOST enemies completely disengage off of Housecarls once they take a knee. This means that MOST of the time they are safe. This includes Dragons.

Being as that is, they are not invincible. There are characters out there that cannot be killed in actual combat. For an example go after the Thieves guild in Riften. These guys will all take a knee at %10 health but no matter how much you beat them or shoot them around like rag dolls they will eventually heal up and stand and attack you again.

Two things will kill a Housecarl.

#1 You.
#2. Splash Damage from just about anything when they take a knee.

I most commonly accidentally kill one with a shout.
---
COD4- Legit 10th 55 MW2- Legit 10th 70 Currently playing COD Black Ops. No Boosting. cheating, hacking or glitching.
#17ZosKiaCultusPosted 12/2/2011 9:52:29 AM
The only time my followers die is when I kill them with magic
---
http://i.imgur.com/fCvCX.gif George is gettin' upset!
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#18MoukaryuuPosted 12/2/2011 9:54:22 AM
They can definitely die. I've lost Lydia a few times and had to reload. They will drop to the floor from too much damage often, but sometimes they will actually die.
---
Batman: Arkham City was the best game I've played this year.
Then came Skyrim.
#19JugglerMethodPosted 12/2/2011 12:13:32 PM

Spankmeister88 posted...

^this^ I read roughly the same statement right out of the offical guide book. I think it applies to all followers not just housecarls not sure about dogs though.

#20XaThRiDPosted 12/2/2011 12:18:06 PM

They can definately die. Lydia's head is currently on my nightstand at Breezehome.

wait... WHAT?