Easy way to max out Lockpick?

#1SovietJiveTurkyPosted 12/8/2011 6:06:54 PM
i am nearing acquiring the skeleton key in the thieves guild. Is there an easier way to increase my lockpick skill? (other than continually breaking lockpicks on a master lock)
---
GT: SovietJiveTurky
#2Meech55Posted 12/8/2011 6:13:24 PM
Training I suppose. I'm not sure if there's a lockpicking exploit.
---
I have no signature.
#3the_killer_6666Posted 12/8/2011 6:14:52 PM
Get the skeleton key, don't complete the quest. just keep it and use it until you get to 100.
---
Earthquake on the east coast, east coasters freak out. Blizzard in Los Angeles, west coasters will freak out. Tsunami in the mid-west, earth will freak out.
#4Oliver_StarkPosted 12/8/2011 6:20:20 PM
If you can find a trainer than there is an Exploit, provided you have sufficiant Pickpocketing skill:

1. Level your Pickpocketing Skill to <40 and take the Cutpurse Perk, as well as 2 Perks in Light Fingers (trust me, it'll help).

2. Find a Trainer, I'd use Vex in the Thieves Guild as she leans against a wall with her back to a nice Shaded area.

3. Train the desired skill. Once if you're not confident in your Pickpocketing skill, as the higher the vaule of the item your stealing, the less% chance you have to succeed.

4. SAVE YOUR GAME. I cannot stress this enough, because a failed attempt will prevent you from getting your money back. SAVE.

5. Steal the Gold you just spent from the Trainer back.

6. Repeat steps 3-6 untill your skill is as high as you want it to go (or you lack the funds for more training, eventually it gets expensive).

Side note: This method is a VERY fast way to level up your Pickpocketing Skill as well. With the Thief Stone active and starting at level 40 I got about 2 levels every successfull attempt.

Hope this helps mate.
---
"I am never wrong. One time, I thought I was wrong, but it turns out, I was mistaken."
#5funsizePosted 12/8/2011 6:22:38 PM
waiting til night in a town and just picking every shop door and their lockboxes. I think in more affluent towns like Solitude the locks are stronger, thus better to level on. Then wait until the next night, doors are once again locked, many stores have 2 doors.
#6SomegamefanPosted 12/8/2011 6:24:02 PM
Wait until night and go to a big city like Whiterun, then go around picking the locks on every house. Make sure your sneaking so you don't get caught.

The next night all the locks will be reset so you can do it again.
---
I can't think of anything witty or humorous to put here...
No really....Nuthin.
#7brokenfingersPosted 12/8/2011 6:30:32 PM
Get the skeleton key, don't complete the quest. just keep it and use it until you get to 100.

That is without question the worst advice to someone who's trying to get to 100. That skill gain from breaking picks adds up, and with the skeleton key you can ONLY skill up by actually picking a lock. It makes it take way longer.
---
For me, that philosophy reduces itself to: "I'm on board; pull up the lifeline."--Ebert on Rand