Imperial or Stormcloak? Who to join?

#41Spartan_VicePosted 12/9/2011 9:15:02 AM

As detailed as that explanation is, all it proves is that the Thalmor are bat **** insane, worse than Mankar Camaron.

Mankar Camoran basically won in Oblivion. But no, his ideas about Lorkhan and Nirn weren't really accurate. And yes, from the perspective of most sane mortals in TES, it is indeed an insane proposition to destroy reality. But to them, Mundus is a prison. They're trying to break out. From that perspective, it's completely sane to demolish your prison and escape.

Mankar Cameron was trying to summon a Malevolent God

Mehrunes Dagon is not actually malevolent per se. He's the Prince of Destruction, but also Change and Revolution.

The whole unbinding Akatosh thing is simply a metaphor of the Thalmor wanting to basically unbind time itself,

Correct, though it's not really a metaphor. Akatosh (or to be more specific, the oversoul of which Akatosh is simply an aspect) is Time, bound to linearity.

which as far as I know would only be possible through Elder Scrolls,

No, all you need to do is shut down/destroy all the Towers, and then the unbinding shouldn't be too hard. The Elder Scrolls don't really enter into it.

because Akatosh himself has appeared to mortals,

Really has very little to do with it. Yes, Akatosh (the aspect, not the oversoul) can scheme to try and keep the current world going, but that would only theoretically be able to stop a kalpa from ending, not time entirely.

Alright, I need a little more explanation on these towers, because if it's not already obvious, I have no real idea what they are. I just keep assuming they're metaphorical but I'm probably wrong.
---
4/14/2010 - The Day one of my GameFAQs moderations was overturned.
Quoting something that sounds intelligent does not stop you from looking like an idiot.
#42Sange13Posted 12/9/2011 9:19:54 AM
I don't buy this whole "The Aldmeri Dominion will crush Skyrim just because the Stormcloaks win" bit at all. The reason for the war at all is that the White Gold Concordat was intended to cause a temporary peace between the Dominion and the Empire while pitting the Empire against its own people. It wasn't for peace at all. Is it easier to fight your enemies, or to watch them fight each other? The war is only about Talos worship on the surface. Underneath it is about unification (or lack thereof) of the people--be it under Ulfric or the Empire. The entire conflict is a convenient cover for the Dominion's activities in Skyrim.

The difference in whose side to join is this: Are you a puppet of the Empire, ergo a puppet of the Dominion? Or are you a free man/woman who knows who the real enemy is?
---
I wish I invented Ramen noodle soup: It feeds the poor, tastes great, would make me rich, and costs nothing to produce.
#43LambentEarachePosted 12/9/2011 9:21:44 AM
VegaB0nd posted...
Well, from the get go, the imperials tried to excecute me but that one soldier in the beginning apologized and all.

At the same time the fact that Ulfric, or whatever his name is, didn't care I wasn't even involved with them but was going to get executed. No, "Oh hey! He's not with us! He's innocent!" From him at all. That a**.

Oh and btw my character is a dark elf. I heard stormcloaks are racist so should I not even think of joining them? Lol

Because he couldn't speak.
---
Sweet Mother, sweet Mother. Send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear. -Chant from the Black Sacrament
#44DrakoVongola1Posted 12/9/2011 9:22:39 AM
LambentEarache posted...
VegaB0nd posted...
Well, from the get go, the imperials tried to excecute me but that one soldier in the beginning apologized and all.

At the same time the fact that Ulfric, or whatever his name is, didn't care I wasn't even involved with them but was going to get executed. No, "Oh hey! He's not with us! He's innocent!" From him at all. That a**.

Oh and btw my character is a dark elf. I heard stormcloaks are racist so should I not even think of joining them? Lol

Because he couldn't speak.

Ralof didn't exactly say anything either.
---
I believe in Jesus, the son of God, the one way to salvation.
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#45Spartan_VicePosted 12/9/2011 9:24:40 AM

I don't buy this whole "The Aldmeri Dominion will crush Skyrim just because the Stormcloaks win" bit at all. The reason for the war at all is that the White Gold Concordat was intended to cause a temporary peace between the Dominion and the Empire while pitting the Empire against its own people. It wasn't for peace at all. Is it easier to fight your enemies, or to watch them fight each other? The war is only about Talos worship on the surface. Underneath it is about unification (or lack thereof) of the people--be it under Ulfric or the Empire. The entire conflict is a convenient cover for the Dominion's activities in Skyrim.

The difference in whose side to join is this: Are you a puppet of the Empire, ergo a puppet of the Dominion? Or are you a free man/woman who knows who the real enemy is?

Ulfric doesn't intend to fight any battles outside of Skyrim. All Ulfric wants is to be high-king and bring back the good old Nords who have nothing to do with foreign affairs.
---
Quoting something that sounds intelligent does not stop you from looking like an idiot.
#46Brenz0rPosted 12/9/2011 9:27:24 AM(edited)
Alright, I need a little more explanation on these towers, because if it's not already obvious, I have no real idea what they are. I just keep assuming they're metaphorical but I'm probably wrong.

Okay. Think of the Towers as stabilising pillars, helping to hold up reality and also keeping Oblivion from spilling over to Nirn (i.e. the Oblivion Crisis is what you get when somebody shuts down a Tower and thins the wall of reality enough for Daedra to stick their noses through the veil - the Oblivion Crisis was kind of the Nerevarine's fault). Mundus is in many ways a flawed experiment.

The first Tower was Ur-Tower, Ada-Mantia, formed by Akatosh during Convention, and the Stone is literally the Moment of Creation. It's up in Iliac Bay. Big tower, with a shiny spike going equidistant points upward and downward? You may have seen it in Daggerfall, if you played it? That's Ur-Tower. Should all the Towers be deactivated or destroyed, then reality won't have anything to hold it up, and at that point everything collapses. Literally. This is what the Thalmor/Altmer want, because with reality gone, they will be freed from the death-life-death-life cycle that their spirits were trapped in by Lorkhan's trickery. Sure, reality has to go boom first, but they deem this to be an acceptable loss. There are a bunch of other Towers as well:

Brass Tower = Walks-Like-Brass = Numidium = Big Stompy Robot. It's the artificial god that the Dwemer tried to make and power with the Heart of Lorkhan, now hosting their oversoul. The Stone that makes it function is a Mantella, a Shezzarine heart. When activated, the silly thing breaks Time every single time. It is currently "beseiging reality well into the Fifth Era" (what that means is unexplained). It's semi-active.

Red Tower = Red Mountain, the Stone of which is the Heart of Lorkhan. When the Heart was rendered impossible to access due to the destruction of the enchantments placed on it, Red Tower was deactivated. Then blew up.

White-Gold Tower = White-Gold Tower. The Stone was the Amulet of Kings, which is now destroyed with the release of the oversoul of the Dragonborn emperors into Martin, who mantled Akatosh to fight and banish Mehrunes Dagon. White-Gold Tower has thus been deactivated.

Snow Tower = Snow-Throat Tower. High Hrothgar is generally presumed to be the Tower, but the Stone itself is unknown.

Crystal-Like-Law = Crystal Tower in the Summerset Isles. It was torn down and destroyed by Daedra during the Oblivion Crisis.

Orchalc = Orchalc Tower. Destroyed with the fall of Yokuda.

Khajit = Khajit Tower. Status unknown. The Khajit might themselves be the Tower (however, the Tower usually takes the shape of a tower or approximates one - like a mountain - in reflecting the first one, Ur-Tower, so this theory isn't certain). It's almost certainly under the control of the Thalmor.

Tree-Sap = Tree-Sap Tower. It's in Valenwood somewhere, but moves around a lot. When the Thalmor took over, they at least "stopped it moving around" (whether they deactivated it is unknown).

You can also think of the Towers as sounds keeping a tempo. If you have one, then it's just a sound. If you have multiple beats, multiple sounds, you have something else entirely: a tempo. And that leads to the naming of Lorkhan as the Doom Drum by the Altmer.

Bottom line, the Towers are falling, one by one. Nirn is slowly unwinding towards dissolution, one tick of the clock at a time.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#47Spartan_VicePosted 12/9/2011 9:32:25 AM

Bottom line, the Towers are falling, one by one. Nirn is slowly unwinding towards dissolution, one tick of the clock at a time.

So is their like no known way to re-build these towers? It seems obvious their isn't but you'd think with only so many threads in the fabric of time left they'd at least be semi-focused on repatching the damn thing. Why do I have a feeling the next ES will be about protecting the last tower standing?
---