Tova Shatter-Shield (Blood on the Ice)

#1WstonefiPosted 12/13/2011 4:22:17 PM
Okay, so I've been having problems getting "Blood on the Ice" to trigger. I read in another thread that you can force it to trigger by pickpocketing the Key to Hjerim off Tova Shatter-Shield, but Tova committed suicide after I killed her daughter for the Dark Brotherhood. And I can't find her body anywhere. Her suicide note is in her room, but not her body. I checked in the crypt, too, and there are two coffins there, but neither one contains the Key to Hjerim. Is there any other place Tova's body might be? Or am I screwed?
#2Wstonefi(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2011 4:45:38 PM
bump
#3TheSocialBunnyPosted 12/13/2011 5:10:49 PM(edited)
I really hate that quest, if only because it seems like it takes a random stroke of chance for it to actually start due to the bug. I play on the PC side of things, but in my experience, pickpocketing or looting the key to Hjerim and forcing your way into the house doesn't actually seem to force trigger the quest to start anyway - you'd think seeing a house splattered with body parts would, but it doesn't, much to my disappointment as my first play through is still stuck with having the quest inaccessible despite doing so.

If you have the quest active, you can actually lockpick your way into Hjerim (Albeit it has always been a Master lock in my experience) and don't require Tova's key. Of course, that doesn't exactly help when the problem is the quest refusing to start to begin with. From what I hear, it is also possible to get access to Hjerim if you keep on following the Stormcloak questline, but I haven't personally started "Blood on the Ice" in this fashion before.
#4Wstonefi(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2011 5:14:26 PM
TheSocialBunny posted...
I really hate that quest, if only because it seems like it takes a random stroke of chance for it to actually start due to the bug. I play on the PC side of things, but in my experience, pickpocketing or looting the key to Hjerim and forcing your way into the house doesn't actually seem to force trigger the quest to start anyway - you'd think seeing a house splattered with body parts would, but it doesn't, much to my disappointment as my first play through is still stuck with having the quest inaccessible despite doing so.

If you have the quest active, you can actually lockpick your way into Hjerim (Albeit it has always been a Master lock in my experience) and don't require Tova's key. Of course, that doesn't exactly help when the problem is the quest refusing to start to begin with. From what I hear, it is also possible to get access to Hjerim if you keep on following the Stormcloak questline, but I haven't personally started "Blood on the Ice" in this fashion before.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the quest active; that's my problem, I can't get it to start at all. I actually did complete the Stormcloak questline, but I still can't enter Hjerim, since it says it requires a key.

I don't actually care about the quest itself -- all I want is the Windhelm house. Unfortunatelym I can't buy the house from the steward, because he just says something about "recent unpleasantness." Apparently this means I need to complete this quest, or at least start it, before I can buy the house.
#5Wstonefi(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2011 5:56:58 PM
Another bump, to see if anyone knows anything else.
#6fffezPosted 12/13/2011 6:01:57 PM
Did you go to the graveyard and look at the crime scene?
#7Wstonefi(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2011 6:04:28 PM
fffez posted...
Did you go to the graveyard and look at the crime scene?

Well, I've been to the graveyard a bunch of times, but there has never been a crime scene. That's why I'm trying to force the quest to start a different way.
#8fffezPosted 12/13/2011 6:06:06 PM
Honestly, then you just wait...do quests for the people, etc, I wouldn't force the issue if I were you, if you read the threads on here and comments on the Skyrim wiki that quest is glitchy as hell
#9LeTHaL_PiRaTePosted 12/13/2011 6:10:34 PM
Have you completed the DB questlines? If so I believe it is unobtainable due to a programming oversight I'm sure. Anywho I'm in the same boat as you and I really want that house.
---
GT: LeTHaL PiRaTe
God is like Santa Claus for adults.
#10fffezPosted 12/13/2011 6:13:44 PM
If you guys don't mind quest spoilers I would definitely read the Wiki

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blood_on_the_Ice