Soul Trap not working?

#1Snow_Crash_Posted 12/23/2011 9:57:41 AM
I'm level 21 and I just killed a giant and a mammoth with Soul Trap active and nothing happened. I do have all kinds of empty soul gems in my inventory.
---
"There is not enough faith in the world to make people love each other - only enough to make them hate each other." Louis Cypher
#2Elec Man EXEPosted 12/23/2011 10:02:13 AM
Are you positive Soul Trap was still active? Perhaps the timer ran out, or perhaps you never hit with the spell in the first place (its very short range).
---
Master of Electricity
Try the demo for Darkspore, a PC Action-RPG @ http://store.steampowered.com/app/99890/
#3Warriorz_LovePosted 12/23/2011 10:03:04 AM
Ya I have Azuras star. It says its empty and when I kill something with a summoned weapon, it doesn't fill it, even though I have the perk.
#4Snow_Crash_(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 10:06:26 AM(edited)
Oh, I didn't realize you have to target it on what you are trying kill... So as an archer you are just screwed? That's incredibly stupid. No, seriously though, how are you supposed to fill soul gems as an archer then? I guess you could just bring what you are trying to kill down to very little health, then move in, activate the spell and deal the killing blow, but that's not how I want to play an archer...
---
"There is not enough faith in the world to make people love each other - only enough to make them hate each other." Louis Cypher
#5AnonYCPosted 12/23/2011 10:08:03 AM
Enchant your bow with soul trap, you usually only need to set to 1 - 3 seconds of affect which will net you a lot of charges.
#6WestSdeNleVrusPosted 12/23/2011 10:09:12 AM
Dancing Fool posted...
Oh, I didn't realize you have to target it on what you are trying kill... So as an archer you are just screwed? That's incredibly stupid. No, seriously though, how are you supposed to fill soul gems as an archer then? I guess you could just bring what you are trying to kill down to very little health, then move in, activate the spell and deal the killing blow, but that's not how I want to play an archer...

Use a bow that has a soul trap enchantment. Or exactly like you said.
The bow is easy for enemies that die in that one hit or so. I just go in with a spell for the tougher enemies. Your archer should be quick enough to get in and out with taking little damage anyway.
#7bogart69Posted 12/23/2011 10:09:33 AM

Get a Bow with Soul Trap on it or enchant one.. Simples    Or have your follower do it.  I hear they use it once and it automatically fills all the Sould Gems in their inventory..

#8masterpug53Posted 12/23/2011 10:12:16 AM
Yes, soul trap as a spell really wasn't thought out very well - it has limited range and no projectile, so the only way you can tell it's active is a faint purple glow that envelopes the target. As previous posters have said, once you're able to enchant it on a weapon and have the adequate means to replenish said enchantment, you should stop wasting time with the spell version.
---
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.
#9Snow_Crash_(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 10:13:56 AM
I'd rather have a damage enchantment on my bow though... Also, I kill most of the common enemies in one hit from stealth, so the previously described approach won't work very well.

In other news, I just killed a bandit with Soul Trap active and it told me that I don't have a soul gem large enough even though I have lesser, common and greater soul gems. A greater soul gem can't hold the soul of a fricking BANDIT? Really?
---
#10TheVillageIdiotPosted 12/23/2011 10:14:36 AM
If you have the perk that lets bound weapons capture souls then find the Bound Bow spell tome in Fort Amol Prison and use it instead of trying to find and disenchant a soul trap weapon.