The Merchant Perk is the most useful perk in the game.

#1josefreesPosted 12/24/2011 2:45:45 PM
No more running around looking for the right venders. It is especially useful to improve enchanting (you can sell daggers to the seller of soul gems) or any vendor who can train. You can actually exchange goods and services! You can trade those 1k iron daggers for training!

I have saved 100 hours in running around towns!
#2Werewolf by NightPosted 12/24/2011 2:47:39 PM
it makes gold completely meaningless. i guess that's kind of the point, but i didn't like what it did to my game.
---
the sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
#3Fallout3_GirlPosted 12/24/2011 2:49:57 PM
I agree, that and the investment perks are so great. Hello 10k gold Merchant in Riverwood.
---
Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such amusing posts as "I need validation" and "You just read this in the sound of my voice".
#4Tmoney222Posted 12/24/2011 2:50:01 PM
Go to the merchant in Riverwood and invest in his business. He'll have 12,000 gold to barter with, making acquiring gold extremely easy. Just sell all the junk you get from dungeons and dragon bones, etc. to him and make easy money.
#5high0utputPosted 12/24/2011 2:50:33 PM
interesting, i never looked at it that way. still, you can only train 5 times per level.
---
Yes, have some....
#6Garchomp_is_lamPosted 12/24/2011 2:53:08 PM
i dunno i never really have any gold related issues in Skyrim. The whole speech tree seems like a waste to me.
---
http://i36.tinypic.com/suvnfl.jpg
I pity the fool.-Mr. T.
#7Shinobi_DaisukePosted 12/24/2011 2:53:51 PM
Are you out of your mind? That's absolutely the least useful skill in the whole game. You're really going to give up perks that help you in combat (you know, playing the game...) so that you can go to fewer merchants to sell your junk? Go to Riften, for God's sake. There's tons of vendors and, if you rebuild the thieves guild, Tonilia has 4000 gold and there are four other merchants with over 1000 gold in the same room. When you get later in the game, you don't even need money for anything anymore, so there's hardly any point in collecting crap to sell.
#8WstonefiPosted 12/24/2011 2:54:35 PM
But money in Skyrim is almost useless. You find way more gold than you can reasonably spend, even without the merchant perk. It's far from the most useful perk.
#9Negative81Posted 12/24/2011 2:55:05 PM
Shinobi_Daisuke posted...
Are you out of your mind? That's absolutely the least useful skill in the whole game. You're really going to give up perks that help you in combat (you know, playing the game...) so that you can go to fewer merchants to sell your junk? Go to Riften, for God's sake. There's tons of vendors and, if you rebuild the thieves guild, Tonilia has 4000 gold and there are four other merchants with over 1000 gold in the same room. When you get later in the game, you don't even need money for anything anymore, so there's hardly any point in collecting crap to sell.

Absolutely correct in my books.
---
MTV, Get off the Air!---Dead Kennedys
#10josefrees(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2011 3:04:58 PM
You have 81 perks. Spending four so you can actually spend time getting levelups and hence more perks is worth it. I have melee, thief and Mage characters who 4 "non-combat" perks aren't going to destroy their viability.

Also, 5 points in 5 seconds is a big thing. For instance, I got my destruction from 70-90 in 20 minutes by selling daggers to the master and selling enchanted daggers to all the other mages for gems to make more daggers. Take a trip to whiterun to make more daggers. By the time you get back they are reupped.

If you are an alchemist, it means you can sell potions to anybody.

And the primary reason to even invest in it is so you don't need to do any theives quests to get awesome fences.

The thieves guild upgraded is really good for money. But with the merchant perk I'd argue that the mages college is the best money situation because they have goods that can be made into even more money.