If I have a level 100 in smithing, but no perks in smithing

#1SOULAMAZING305Posted 12/27/2011 6:06:23 AM
Will I be able to improve a piece of daedric armor I found to its best improvement, I'm guessing it's legendary?
#2Dreadsword101Posted 12/27/2011 6:09:07 AM
Unless you use smith boosting enchantments and potions, the highest level you can upgrade a piece of equipment to at 100 smithing with no perks is flawless.
#3parradox1992Posted 12/27/2011 6:09:39 AM
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Smithing#Item_Quality

Doesn't look like it.
---
"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."
Dark Tower coming to HBO. OOOOOH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH
#4SOULAMAZING305(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 6:09:59 AM
Thanks!
#5xGenocidestPosted 12/27/2011 6:10:05 AM
You'll need 168 for legendary without the perk, I think. Gear + Potions will cover that.
#6MattheauPosted 12/27/2011 6:12:22 AM
Smithing anything without the perk is always worse then with the perk. It does not matter if you hit legendary quality, it is still worse. Every smithing skill point above the minimum needed to hit legendary gives a bonus. You are actually better off getting the Steel perk and upgrading Steel equipment with the perk then using Daedric and upgrading without the perk.
#7tri sapphirePosted 12/27/2011 6:17:20 AM
Mattheau posted...
Smithing anything without the perk is always worse then with the perk. It does not matter if you hit legendary quality, it is still worse. Every smithing skill point above the minimum needed to hit legendary gives a bonus. You are actually better off getting the Steel perk and upgrading Steel equipment with the perk then using Daedric and upgrading without the perk.

This. Perks double your smithing skill with a particular material. So Steel will easily outclass Daedric if you put a perk into it.

And you might as well put a perk into Steel in order to get Arcane Blacksmith. Otherwise you won't be able to improve unique items, enchanted items, or Daedric artifacts.
---
"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed...I must simply laugh!!."- Magus